X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid to rock protective styles?

Am I the only one who's afraid of wearing protective styles out the house? This is my 2nd time transitioning and I wanna go all out and commit this time. But its like Im afraid people are gonna judge me if my hair isn't looking on point. I'll spend soo much time styling my braid out only to slick it back in a bun before I leave out. And then I'll see someone else rocking their natural hair and it looks cute on them.. Am I being too hard on myself or what
    Nature is busy creating absolutely unique individuals, whereas culture has invented a single mold to which all must conform. It is grotesque."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I wear my two strand twists all week long and even on weekends...work and church. I always get comps on them so I feel my hair is on point. True it is way fly when it's out but it works for me. Why don't you feel your hair is on point?

Comment

Its funny you say that I felt the exact same way! I really like my natural hair and I want.to do what's best for my fro. I just said it is what it is. I.swear i dreaded going to work one day because I could not get these protect style chunky twist right. This older lady at work told.me she loved my her because it was how they use to wear theirs back in the day. And from.then on ( 5weeks ago lol) I just do my best and keep on going. I guess we become so use to things a certain way when we see something different it doesn't seem right. Its right. Plus I heard practice helps

Sent from my HTC One X using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by Cecelia View Post
        Its funny you say that I felt the exact same way! I really like my natural hair and I want.to do what's best for my fro. I just said it is what it is. I.swear i dreaded going to work one day because I could not get these protect style chunky twist right. This older lady at work told.me she loved my her because it was how they use to wear theirs back in the day. And from.then on ( 5weeks ago lol) I just do my best and keep on going. I guess we become so use to things a certain way when we see something different it doesn't seem right. Its right. Plus I heard practice helps

Yea Im beginning to realize people could care less about my hair, especially now that I'm in college. And I as long as I happy with it, I'm just gonna do me
        Nature is busy creating absolutely unique individuals, whereas culture has invented a single mold to which all must conform. It is grotesque."
        - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Comment

I think we are our worst critics. I'm just going to.keep watching YouTube and practice. Later beautiful

Originally posted by JoLoCo View Post
          Yea Im beginning to realize people could care less about my hair, especially now that I'm in college. And I as long as I happy with it, I'm just gonna do me

Comment

I use to but now I'm ok with wearing my 2 strand twists
            Then 2 weeks later I wear it as a twist out

Wearing danglely earrings helps
            Sent from my C5155 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by johari View Post
              I use to but now I'm ok with wearing my 2 strand twists
              Then 2 weeks later I wear it as a twist out

Wearing danglely earrings helps
              Ha, I'm more of a stud earring type of girl. Im slowly easing my way into this, I currently keep my hair braided up under a glueless lace front or a beanie, then on days when I work out I put it into to a huge high puff
              - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Comment

Me too but I wear dangly ones more if my hair is in a protective style. It jus looks better to me.

Comment

Well there are MANY Cute Protective styles you can wear. But i agree with you 100% lately my protective styles have not been cute in the least bit, they are plait braids that i throw in my hair after moisturizing at night and yes i was embarrassed when i first wore them out but after a while i forgot about it. Lol til my cousin pointed it out in public. But she's a hater so i laughed it off hit her and kept going about my day. But yess tonight after about a week of wearing my plaits out in public i went to the beauty supply and purchased a pack of marley braiding hair and some lock gel i gotta try some havanna twists for the rest of this winter im tired of lookn tore up at the head .

Sent from my N861 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Oh and yaasss ive had those days when i didnt like how my braidouts came out MAAANY Times. A trick that works for me is to make a puff out of it (but i had to slow down cuhs it gave me a small bald spot on the left side) i was wearing them too tight too frequently . Thats why i have been protective styling for the last week trying to give my hair a break

Sent from my N861 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I wear protective styling out the house all the time. When its cold outside, I wear the lil bonnets on my head and my hair is braided underneath. Another one of my protective styling is twists. You can always dress those up.

Comment

Working...
                      X