Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Not doing the BC? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not doing the BC?

    Has anyone not done the BC as they were transitioning? I don't want to cut my relaxed ends until my natural hair reaches NL. If I BC'ed now my natural hair would only reach about EL.


    BTW I BC'ed before and I got so discouraged at the TWA that I ended up putting relaxers back in my hair. LOL, I just don't think a TWA is for everyone.
    Last relaxer: 10/2012. Current Length: NL. Goal Length: BSL. Favorite Protective Style: Pin Curls. Favorite Products: Olive Oil Silk Elements Line. *I'm transitioning and don't plan on doing a BC.*

  • #2
    You're right that bc'ing is not for everyone. I did that in 2004 before there was much support for natural hair and I was so lost that I gave up. Now I'm 3 months into my transition and gonna just do it until I'm ready...whenever that may be. How long have you been in transition?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dedabugg View Post
      You're right that bc'ing is not for everyone. I did that in 2004 before there was much support for natural hair and I was so lost that I gave up. Now I'm 3 months into my transition and gonna just do it until I'm ready...whenever that may be. How long have you been in transition?
      That's a good plan! I just want to learn as much about my hair before I chop it off lol. But I've only been in transition 7 months. What about you?
      Last relaxer: 10/2012. Current Length: NL. Goal Length: BSL. Favorite Protective Style: Pin Curls. Favorite Products: Olive Oil Silk Elements Line. *I'm transitioning and don't plan on doing a BC.*

      Comment


      • #4
        Just 3, but I started from a Halle Berry cut so the back is all natural now. That presents a problem though: it looks like I bc'd the back but not the top lol. I won't put heat on my hair so I can't blend it, so I'm beginning to wear protective styles. I just did some yarn twists yesterday. Took about 6 hrs cause the back is hard to grip but I think I did an ok job. Protective styling definitely makes it easier to deal with transitioning hair. Attachment
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          If you get a chance read Grow It! by Chicoro. She is a waist length natural who transitioned without doing a big chop. She trimmed off the ends. This called a long term transitioner. I was able to find her book in the local library. Also, she is on YouTube now. You can also sign up for her newsletter www.beautybitbybit.com.
          http://ravencurlyblogspot.com For curlies who LOVE to take care of their hair and have fun while doing it!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dedabugg View Post
            Just 3, but I started from a Halle Berry cut so the back is all natural now. That presents a problem though: it looks like I bc'd the back but not the top lol. I won't put heat on my hair so I can't blend it, so I'm beginning to wear protective styles. I just did some yarn twists yesterday. Took about 6 hrs cause the back is hard to grip but I think I did an ok job. Protective styling definitely makes it easier to deal with transitioning hair. Attachment
            I think it turned out great! I also started with a halley berry cut , but I had Senegalese twist for a few months, then relaxed my hair again. I'm trying to get Senegalese twist every 4 months (leave them in for 3 and let my hair breath a month.) I'm getting them next month. Unfortunately I don't know any protective styles I can do on my hair because honestly I'm not that great at doing hair. I just flat iron my hair every Sunday after co washing and then just pin curl it every night for the week.
            Attached Files
            Last relaxer: 10/2012. Current Length: NL. Goal Length: BSL. Favorite Protective Style: Pin Curls. Favorite Products: Olive Oil Silk Elements Line. *I'm transitioning and don't plan on doing a BC.*

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ravenpriestess View Post
              If you get a chance read Grow It! by Chicoro. She is a waist length natural who transitioned without doing a big chop. She trimmed off the ends. This called a long term transitioner. I was able to find her book in the local library. Also, she is on YouTube now. You can also sign up for her newsletter www.beautybitbybit.com.
              I will check it out this week! Thanks!!!
              Last relaxer: 10/2012. Current Length: NL. Goal Length: BSL. Favorite Protective Style: Pin Curls. Favorite Products: Olive Oil Silk Elements Line. *I'm transitioning and don't plan on doing a BC.*

              Comment


              • #8
                You can def go natural w/o the big chop. I've been transitioning for about 21 months. I've had 2 mini chops (trimmed the split ends) along the way. My hair is btwn SL and APL. I'll do an official heat length check at the 2yr mark. Everything is natural except maybe about the last 3 inches of the front and sides. But now I can blend all my hair w/two strand twists& twistouts. Chicoro's book as mentioned is really informative, and so is LongHairDontCareLLC on YouTube. The two different textures will drive you crazy lol. But long term transitioning can be done. I would PS like crazy, cause in the beginning only flat twists looked nice. I wasn't crazy about how my hair looked in two strand twists. Play around w/diff styles to see what works best. Also don't be afraid to incorporate weaves, and braids. Both are great PS.
                Sent from my iPhone using
                CurlyNikki

                Instagram:nikkijo22



                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm currently 8 months and 3 weeks post relaxer and I plan to transition until my natural hair is long enough for me to feel comfortable with the length after I factor in shrinkage (6-10inches). I'm currently and inch away from being APL. My last trim was 3 inches in February.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I never did a big chop, I just transitioned til my relaxed hair was practically gone! Some areas I didnt do any cutting and some up to 3 inches. Its worth the wait if you are able to transition for a long time.
                    Transitioned for 20 months Sept 1, 2011-May 8, 2013
                    Hair Info: 4a, fine strands, high density
                    Cant live without:
                    Cantu SB Leave In & Curls Cashmere Curls Jelly

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My friend did the same thing but she may still have some relaxed (I've never seen it) because she's never ever put scissors in her hair. She just didnt get relaxers for about three years and BAM. She pulls off the best puff I've ever seen, and all she uses is a rubber band. I'm so jelous of her hair.lol
                      Originally posted by Rayven View Post
                      I never did a big chop, I just transitioned til my relaxed hair was practically gone! Some areas I didnt do any cutting and some up to 3 inches. Its worth the wait if you are able to transition for a long time.


                      Sent from my LGL45C using CurlyNikki App

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am in strong agreement with others that maintaining hair long enuf to put up until it grows long enough to put up is the key if thats where you started from. I started with hair long enough to put up and I don't want to cut it too short so I can't put it up so I guess I won't be cutting the relaxed ends until I am convinced that my natural hair is long enuf to put up....did this make ANY sense?

                        Although the relaxed ends are a HUGE PITA
                        Last edited by missjae; 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM.
                        Last relaxed: 8/2012
                        Mini-chopped to natural: 8/2013

                        densely packed fine and coarsely textured kinks, clumped micro-coils and wirey waves
                        The best hair product - PATIENCE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yesss. A ton. +1
                          Originally posted by missjae View Post
                          I am in strong agreement with others that maintaining hair long enuf to put up until it grows long enough to put up is the key if thats where you started from. I started with hair long enough to put up and I don't want to cut it too short so I can't put it up so I guess I won't be cutting the relaxed ends until I am convinced that my natural hair is long enuf to put up....did this make ANY sense?

                          Although the relaxed ends are a HUGE PITA


                          Sent from my LGL45C using CurlyNikki App

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That is what I want to do! Do you have any advice on keeping the two textures blended?

                            Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Im transitioning right now without the big chop because im in rotc and i need to do buns lol. Mainly i just get weave installed or do bantu knots on my hair for styling. Any other time my hair is bunned up

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X