X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested styles for thin edges?

I have very thin edges, what specific Natural styles do u recommend that won't make me look like a teen?

Sent from my DROID PRO using CurlyNikki App

I am in the same boat as you. I do not want to put any unnecessary tension on my weak edges and I'm looking for protective and regular styles so that they can relax.
    Blessed

Comment

Yeah it's hard b/c I just want to see growth but i'm at a loss when it comes to styling. & I refuse to heat except for once every two months when I go to the salon for a trim.... i've been doing Bantu knot outs and pinning the on top of my head... only moisturizing my edges w/my Shea butter & coconut oil mixture.

Comment

The bantu knots may be causing too much tension around your edges. I would opt for twist outs instead. Also try to limit pulling your hair back in tight ponytails/puffs/buns.
        Originally posted by StoneRollin View Post
        Yeah it's hard b/c I just want to see growth but i'm at a loss when it comes to styling. & I refuse to heat except for once every two months when I go to the salon for a trim.... i've been doing Bantu knot outs and pinning the on top of my head... only moisturizing my edges w/my Shea butter & coconut oil mixture.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlyNikki App
        Last Relaxer: Feb 2009
        BC: September 2009
        Current Length: APL

BLOG
        YOUTUBE

Curl Street

Comment

I have the same issue so I've been doing twistouts, braidouts and roller sets with bangs instead of parting my hair. If I have to part, I go down the middle since my temples are the thinnest. I also alternate using castor oil and wild growth hair oil on my edges every night.

 Sent from the iPADiva using CurlyNikki 
          Last Relaxer: February 21, 2010
          BC: August 21, 2010

...and in the 5th month I named her EVA!!

Check out my Curly Hair Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DivaDreamgirl View Post
            I also alternate using castor oil and wild growth hair oil on my edges every night.

 Sent from the iPADiva using CurlyNikki 
            Yeah I've hear a lot of good things about castor oil and hair growth/thickening so I'm gonna try and get some of that
            Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by kimmels View Post
              Yeah I've hear a lot of good things about castor oil and hair growth/thickening so I'm gonna try and get some of that
              i tried castor oil but i think i am allergic to it because my head itched like crazy whenever i used it. it got so bad i was scrubbing my scalp clean to get it off of me
              Twitter- @LoveZaporiah
              Tumblr- http://lovezaporiah.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LoveZaporiah View Post
                i tried castor oil but i think i am allergic to it because my head itched like crazy whenever i used it. it got so bad i was scrubbing my scalp clean to get it off of me
                The exact same thing happened to me! I couldn't figure out what it was at first

Comment

I read somewhere that the itching has to do with hair growth...but that could be a myth. It's so difficult to decipher these days!

 Sent from the Diva's iPhone using CurlyNikki 
                  Last Relaxer: February 21, 2010
                  BC: August 21, 2010

...and in the 5th month I named her EVA!!

Check out my Curly Hair Blog

Comment

Cornrows with your natural hair (as long as the stylist knows what theyre doing & doesnt pull your edges), half/full wigs, twist/braid outs, styles with bangs, sew ins (mine use to always have my edges out), etc.
                    "Real hair, real nails, and real eyes bring real guys." -Common
                    OfficialVenusVsMars on IG
                    @PerfectlyHood on Twitter!
                    http://www.nyenzo.com

Venus vs Mars Blog on Facebook! Make sure to like the page!
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Venus-...57562550954275

Comment

I have this problem as well. I keep my edges moisturized and try to be gentle with my hair. I have some hairstyling tips to hide the thinness but I can't ensure the hairstyles themselves won't make you look like a teen.

When I wear braid outs or flat twist outs, I make sure to make a slightly off-center side part (this works well because only the sides of my hairline are thin--not the top middle part). When I do bantu knot outs, I make the ones on the edges are bit looser than the rest. I wear them as is (in a short curly fro) or gently pin back the front a bit to mimick a headband look.

When I do cinnabuns (5 Days-5 'Dos Day 3: The Cinnabun-YouTube), I often take out "bang" portion of my hair and do a roll-n-tuck thingy. Check this out for a visual: (Coily Crowns-Style Longevity). When I do sock buns (Protective Bunning: The Sock Bun Tutorial), I often two-strand twist or do a roll-n-tuck thingy to the "bang" portion of my hair. The roll-n-tuck thingy and two-strand twist bangs look cute, keep tension off my edges and hide the thinness.

This post was long but I hope it helped.
                      Last edited by Fronomenal; 07-31-2011, 02:11 PM.
                      Big Chop: 12/15/08

Detangle: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Cleanse: SM Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Deep Condition: SM Purification Masque
                      Leave-In Condition: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner

Moisturize: SM Curl & Style Milk, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
                      Oils/Butters: Parachute Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Njoi Creations Ayurvedic Hair Butter
                      Gels: Alba Botanica Strong Hold Style Gel, Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~

Comment

Working...
                      X