Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRETCHING: From root to tip!

Hi natural ladies,

Despite being natural for a very long time, I STILL seem to find it difficult to stretch my hair at the root (without heat). I normally wear protective styles, but at the end of the week when it is time to wash and detangle my hair, getting through my 4b roots is a BIG PROBLEM!

It took 3hrs to properly detangle my roots today (my hair isn't thick/dense, just tightly coiled). So, enough is enough.

Help me!!!!! Please share your stretching techniques!
    My Current Regimen:
    Shampoo once a month
    DC weekly
    Add a leave-in
    Finger detangle and twist
    PROTECTIVE STYLING CHALLENGE
    Moisturize and seal as needed (every other day)

How do you wear your hair during the week? What was your last protective style this week.?

What i would do to my hair is... by friday night... I'd Take it down and transition it over night. If it were twists i'd unwravel my twists and braid them into medium sections on that night. Saturday i just might wear it pulled back into a pony tail (going to work) and sat night i re-braid different sections again... really tight at the root. After styling my hair on sunday for church.. i wash on sunday night to do my hair for the next weeks style.

Those are the steps I take to make sure my hair is really stretched. You can do it any way you'd like but to me... the major key is taking it down and stretching the roots in a diffterent direction. HTH!!!!
    Last edited by BeenNatural; 01-07-2012, 08:58 AM.
    Naturally me

No makeup - No relaxer - Just as I am!
    http://www.naturalandprofessional.blogspot.com/

Comment

@BeenNatural, right now I am doing a winter challenge with a wig during the week and wear my hair in braids underneath. After washing my hair I let it airdry in 4 braids...that's it!

Today I tried your "re-braid" method. So, I let my hair airdry in 10 braids this time. After the braids were almost dry I divided each braid into two braids. I tried to make the roots as tight as possible without overdoing it.

I will update on my detangling process after my next wash. Thanks!
      My Current Regimen:
      Shampoo once a month
      DC weekly
      Add a leave-in

Comment

You could also do flat twists or french braids. Since they are flat on your head, they should stretch the root.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlyNikki App
        Last Relaxer: June 17,2010
        Gave Relaxed Ends the Boot: June 14,2011

Comment

I keep my hair in a bun and french braids to stretch after my cowashes and twisted up with two clips during co washes when not using a section, so basically my hair never gets much of a chance to shrink up on me. What kind of conditioner are you using? You might need a conditioner with more slip like Aussie or Hello hydration, VO5 and Suave wasn't working for me and making the switch made a HUGE difference for me. Also i like using my denman d41 with every other row taken out to detangle with instead of a wide tooth because it detangles much more thoroughly and ensures that all shed hair is removed and stays in the brush instead of clogging the drain. Play around with detangling tools and conditioners and you'll be happy you did!

Comment

+1 on the Flat twists as well! Since you're wearing wigs then this might be a great option for you!

Originally posted by JaliseH View Post
            You could also do flat twists or french braids. Since they are flat on your head, they should stretch the root.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlyNikki App
            Naturally me

No makeup - No relaxer - Just as I am!
            http://www.naturalandprofessional.blogspot.com/

Comment

Flat twists sound like a good idea. When I french braid my hair (while slightly damp) I always seem to pop a hair or two. I guess my technique is off. So, flat twisting will most likely be less stressful on my hair. So far, the re-braiding has really helped. I took a braid aloose today just to see if dry detangling from my roots would be easier. It was much much better! The real test will be the detangling of the circle of my head at the end of the week. Wish me luck!
              My Current Regimen:
              Shampoo once a month
              DC weekly
              Add a leave-in

Comment

The best root straightening I've gotten was from curl formers!!! Ur hair will be in spirals but as long as u place the Curl Former at ur root, it will be straight. I love it. I was shocked when I did it right the first time, it was like I straightened my hair. The negative is the price, u have to go out and buy them if u don't have them. But I love it. I use about 25 I think.

Comment

Only because i was experimenting with a flat twist out that i discovered how much the flat twisting stretched my hair.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlyNikki App

Hair I Grow!!

Comment

I get stretched roots when I detangle well and band my hair. Then I tie it up.

Comment

You can flat twist or cornrow your damp or to dry freshly detangled hair like they said...

When I don't have the energy to flat plait...I do this

Pinning the roots down keep the hair from shrinking at the root...

I comes out like this...

and I when I gently combed though my hair in sections I was able to achieve a blow out w/o a blow dryer...

Comment

Originally posted by Naturallynike View Post
                        You can flat twist or cornrow your damp or to dry freshly detangled hair like they said...

When I don't have the energy to flat plait...I do this

Pinning the roots down keep the hair from shrinking at the root...

I comes out like this...

and I when I gently combed though my hair in sections I was able to achieve a blow out w/o a blow dryer...

Gorgeous. I'm going to try this when my hair has a more consistent pattern

Chemical-Free since Tuesday, March, 23, 2010

Comment

Twist and braid

I have tried the twist that plait three together. I agree you should add clips to the roots. I just flat twist the bottom then twist. I usually have three or four twist at the root then twist. It stretches really good.

hope this helps...
                          Shine on -

Comment

Have you tried the banding method. I damp my hair, add gel to each section, then seal with a butter or oil. Part a small section of my hair and take a small scrunchie, make a ponytail. Then I move the scrunchie down the length of ponytail until I get to end. I usually end up with 10-15 ponytails that resemble the Wayan brother from the movie don't be a menace to society while drinking ut juice ,,,,. I put my bonnet on. Next day I take down hair, pick or fluff

Comment

I like cornrows for stretching but recently started twisting my hair in about medium sized twists and then braiding the twists together to stretch them out further. You can also use bobby pins to stretch your twists criss crossing them on your head. These techniques have worked nicely for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X