X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of hair damage and self discovery!! *my big chop*

I am so overjoyed about my new short hair....

So here's the FULL story... I began my transition to natural in Oct of 2009. I transitioned a little over a year and cut the rest of my relaxer out in January of 2010. My hair was healthy and grew well over the years, I fell in love with being natural. My hair was like a prized possession to me, I cherished my length and I was HIGHLY attached to it. A few months ago, for my 23rd birthday in June I wanted a new look. So I proceeded to foolishly dye the front of my hair honey blonde and complete the look with a silk out... which was cute, I loved it. Up until two weeks later when it was time for me to wash my hair and return back to my curls.

I stood the in the shower, I waited for it to curl up. Added some conditioner, waited. Added some more, waited. Completely drenched my hair in water... still nothing. At best my hair was curling very loosely and no matter how much conditioner I added my curls were not coming back! I was beyond hurt. My hair was beautiful before the chemical damage and the silk out and I regretted my decision to ever get it DEEPLY.

So here I was weeks later with a head full of stringy, life-less, ugly ass curls. I got depressed. I didn't feel pretty. No matter what I did my hair was just not the same... so one morning after weeks of toying with the idea... I decided to cut it all off and start ALLL over. I got home from class that night, and proceeded to cut off all my hair. I didn't tell ANYONE before hand because I didn't need anyone talking me out of it. Afterwards I stood in the mirror, balder than I've ever been lol and for the first time in 23 years I really SAW myself. I wasn't hiding behind a relaxer, or a weave, or even a big puff of natural hair. My hair was gone and this was ME. I was overjoyed, excited, and I felt more beautiful than I ever had. Cutting it all off was the best decision, it gave me my confidence back and allowed me to see a new side of myself. Reactions the next day were all over the place! I got everything from "WTF DID YOU DO TO YO HEAD" to "YASSSSSSSSS HONEY I LOVE IT"! The only thing I hated were the multiple "Why did you cut off all that pretty hair" That hair wasn't pretty, that hair was A MESS and I can't understand why people preferred I hold on the dead hair instead of starting fresh... #weird but anyways. I love my hair. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BIG CHOPPING... DO IT!!!
    Attached Files
    It takes a special kind of woman to love the hair she was BORN with... join the natural movement

You are gorgeous both ways, Ma!! But I love the twa!! And it's evident that you do too!! You betta werk!!!

www.babyknotsboutique.etsy.com

Comment

Yes Girl! I'm living it & just wanna come beat ya face lol (luv's my make up lol) or send ya one of my bright azz Mac lippies lol. I really like your long hair,but honesty luv the twa. It's nice on you I've been thinking if dyeing,but maybe I should wait lol. Great attitude as well.

Comment

Apart of me want to soooo bad but with my fat head head ill probably look like a bull

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlyNikki App
        5mos post. Mostly scab hair. About an inch of actual texture in some places, other place scab hair is still pressent.

Comment

Originally posted by JuniperDreams View Post
          Apart of me want to soooo bad but with my fat head head ill probably look like a bull

Girl, whatever!!! Gone and do it and quit being scurred!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Curly_Star_19 View Post
            I am so overjoyed about my new short hair....

So here's the FULL story... I began my transition to natural in Oct of 2009. I transitioned a little over a year and cut the rest of my relaxer out in January of 2010. My hair was healthy and grew well over the years, I fell in love with being natural. My hair was like a prized possession to me, I cherished my length and I was HIGHLY attached to it. A few months ago, for my 23rd birthday in June I wanted a new look. So I proceeded to foolishly dye the front of my hair honey blonde and complete the look with a silk out... which was cute, I loved it. Up until two weeks later when it was time for me to wash my hair and return back to my curls.

I stood the in the shower, I waited for it to curl up. Added some conditioner, waited. Added some more, waited. Completely drenched my hair in water... still nothing. At best my hair was curling very loosely and no matter how much conditioner I added my curls were not coming back! I was beyond hurt. My hair was beautiful before the chemical damage and the silk out and I regretted my decision to ever get it DEEPLY.

So here I was weeks later with a head full of stringy, life-less, ugly ass curls. I got depressed. I didn't feel pretty. No matter what I did my hair was just not the same... so one morning after weeks of toying with the idea... I decided to cut it all off and start ALLL over. I got home from class that night, and proceeded to cut off all my hair. I didn't tell ANYONE before hand because I didn't need anyone talking me out of it. Afterwards I stood in the mirror, balder than I've ever been lol and for the first time in 23 years I really SAW myself. I wasn't hiding behind a relaxer, or a weave, or even a big puff of natural hair. My hair was gone and this was ME. I was overjoyed, excited, and I felt more beautiful than I ever had. Cutting it all off was the best decision, it gave me my confidence back and allowed me to see a new side of myself. Reactions the next day were all over the place! I got everything from "WTF DID YOU DO TO YO HEAD" to "YASSSSSSSSS HONEY I LOVE IT"! The only thing I hated were the multiple "Why did you cut off all that pretty hair" That hair wasn't pretty, that hair was A MESS and I can't understand why people preferred I hold on the dead hair instead of starting fresh... #weird but anyways. I love my hair. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BIG CHOPPING... DO IT!!!
            I'm so happy for you girl!! It took courage from within to know that you are beautiful and that no matter what you would be beautiful with short or long hair! I can relate with u though because I too bc from shoulder length hair to neck length because I had heat damage badly last year and when I made that chop my hair grew back fuller and healthy, and now that I'm 3 months post relaxer my hair has gotten even longer which let's me know that once I embraced my natural curls I didn't need no relaxer. You go girl!

Sent from my N861 using CurlyNikki App
            Authentic to the CORE. Follow me on IG: @classyt_

Comment

Originally posted by JuniperDreams View Post
              Apart of me want to soooo bad but with my fat head ill probably look like a bull

Girl you'll look fine! Lol

Authentic to the CORE. Follow me on IG: @classyt_

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiffullynatural View Post

Lol, I might be twa-in sooner than I think.. I wanna let this scab hair finish comin in, and see what this derm gonna say about my crown that just won't act right (it has the least growth of all).. I even cut off a loc of my hair, cuz its soo much scab hair, I couldn't see otherwise and I wanted to see what i was feeling between my fingers.. its still really hard to see in a picture, but its there
                Blue coil, green scab hair, red relaxed. This is almost 5 mos of new growth, and i have less than an inch coil, and like 2 of scab... smh
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JuniperDreams; 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM.
                5mos post. Mostly scab hair. About an inch of actual texture in some places, other place scab hair is still pressent.

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiffullynatural View Post

Lol, I might be twa-in sooner than I think.. I wanna let this scab hair finish comin in, and see what this derm gonna say about my crown that just won't act right (it has the least growth of all).. I even cut off a loc of my hair, cuz its soo much scab hair, I couldn't see otherwise and I wanted to see what i was feeling between my fingers.. its still really hard to see in a picture, but its there

Comment

Working...
                  X