X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair gel

Are they any good alternatives to eco styler gel?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlyNikki App

Kinky curling custard
    i love my kinks curls i love me

Comment

Homemade flax seed gel

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlyNikki App
      Peace, Light & Love
      Hair Staples: Rhassoul clay (cleanse), Oil Rinsing, Marshmallow Moisture Balm, FSG or AVG

Comment

Fantasia IC gel w/sparkle lites.

Comment

^^^+1 on Fantasia!

My barber introduced me to it, and she's natural. You can get it from Target.
          Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by doe_iz View Post
            Fantasia IC gel w/sparkle lites.
            How much is this?

Comment

$5! You can also find it at grocery stores with an ethnic feel.
              Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Uncle funkys daughter curly magic
                Ampro olive oil gel

Sent from my iphone CurlyNikki
                PJ and proud of it.
                BC 7/17/11

Comment

I was on a hunt for this for a while and hit gold!

I tried KCCC years ago and just doesn't do anything for my hair, its too light, and I don't have issues with curl definition...

First I tried Donna Marie Curling Gelly, which is great on day 1, iffy on day 2 but I definitely dont get 3 or 4 day hair like could with Eco...

Flaxseed gel alone gives light to med hold, and can give a firm hold and great shine if you add honey, but you will still get the shrinkage...It's great for twist and braids outs...

I used to think the issue was hold, but the flaxseed gel w/ honey sparked light bulb moment. I realized, what makes Eco Styler different from other stylers is the weight of the product...

Butters tend to have a weighing effect on hair,especially shea butter in my case...

So I made a flaxssed custard (flaxseed/shea butter combo) that gave me results BETTER than eco styler gel

My picture testimony

Hair with flaxseed custard right after application

Comparison

The Flaxseed custard gave me a happy medium between the eco and flaxseed gel...

Dry Day 1

This was the real test

I love this stuff!

Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:
                  Water
                  Flax seeds
                  Aloe Vera Gel, more moisture, makes the gel thicker.
                  Honey or Agave Nectar, firmer hold, and immaculate shine.
                  Extra Virgin Olive oil (or oil of your choice)
                  Marshmallow Root Extract (optional), this makes it more slippery and smoothing
                  Coconut Oil (or oil of your choice)
                  Shea Butter (or butter of choice)

First make the flax seed gel
                  The known recipe is 1/4 cup of flax seeds to 2 cups of water...
                  I like my gel more "muscousy" so I do 1/4 flax seeds to 1 cup of water

I let it boil a little over 5 mins to get a thicker mucous as well

I boil and strain the flaxseeds twice

After straining, let it cool down for a bit, then add...
                  1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera Gel
                  1 tablespoon of Honey
                  1 tablespoon of EVOO
                  2 squirts of Marshmallow Root extract

Whip together...

Now melt 1/2 or 1 tablespoon of shea butter with 1tablespoon of coconut oil together...
                  While the oil is liquid, pour it into the gel, and mix them together. I prefer to use an electric hand mixer...

My ratio is 2 tablespoons of Shea, and coconut oil (all of what you melted) into 4 tablespoons of flaxseed gel...You can play around with the ratio to see what suits you best...but generally you want less butter than gel...

While mixing you will see it turn into an off white gummy cream

pic
                  http://i44.tinypic.com/2s9wwhl.jpg

Let it cool to thicken...

Tip: if your mix happens to get gritty, don't fret, it's just from the coconut oil that may have been heated and cooled too many times...Just let your custard sit on the double boiler (not directly, well triple boiler) until the coconut oil melts, then whip it again.... Apply gel to wet dampish hair...Dont be afraid to be generous with it!
                  Last edited by Naturallynike; 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

@naturallynike, I'm definitely going to try your receipe. I love FSG and making my own butter concoctions.
                    Peace, Light & Love
                    Hair Staples: Rhassoul clay (cleanse), Oil Rinsing, Marshmallow Moisture Balm, FSG or AVG

Comment

Thanks so much. I am so going to try that recipe for the custard!

Comment

Quick question: how do you preserve the flax seed custard?

Comment

Originally posted by Journey101 View Post
                          Quick question: how do you preserve the flax seed custard?

The gel..??? You have to refrigerate. I add Jojoba oil. Everyone adds what they like...but the gel had to be refrigerated.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQ View Post
                            The gel..??? You have to refrigerate. I add Jojoba oil. Everyone adds what they like...but the gel had to be refrigerated.
                            I will definitely try this also. My question is about the aloe vera gel. I know I can buy this already prepared but I have some aloe vera leaves which am trying to use in my shea coconut butter hair cream. Does anyone know how to work with fresh aloe vera leaves?

Comment

Thank you! I think I'm going to get this! (so much for not being a pj smh)

Comment

Working...
                              X