Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My natural hair makes me look ugly...I don't know what to do.

Well, I don't know what to do.

My hair just doesn't look nice and it's difficult to manage.

I have been natural my whole life and it has never worked for me. I have fine, thin, medium-length, 4c hair that has absolutely no weight to it. I can't wear my hair "down" because it can only stand straight up. I can't wear Afros because I have a permanent part down the center of my hair that prevents me from fluffing it out. Not to mention that if I wear anything other than a long-term protective style, my hair shrivels up in a day then falls out. I wore an Afro once and then had to wait 6 months to get the length back. Every time I undo my braids, huge clumps of hair come out.

I have tried many moisturizers and products through the years and by and large they haven't changed anything. This is just the nature of my hair type.

I'm at a loss. My hair looks frizzy and messy even in fresh braids. I can't do a lot of other natural styles because of how thin my hair is. Twists or anything involving volume tends to look awful. At the same time, my hair doesn't look nice when it's straightened either, so I'm not sure how much good a perm would do. I think my hair looks best when I can cover it up completely, but it's not really socially acceptable to run around in a scarf all the time. I've considered just chopping it all off but I don't have the looks to pull that off.

I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any ideas on where to go from here?

Originally posted by asdfjkl View Post

I have been natural my whole life and it has never worked for me. I have fine, thin, medium-length, 4c hair that has absolutely no weight to it. I can't wear my hair "down" because it can only stand straight up. I can't wear Afros because I have a permanent part down the center of my hair that prevents me from fluffing it out. Not to mention that if I wear anything other than a long-term protective style, my hair shrivels up in a day then falls out. I wore an Afro once and then had to wait 6 months to get the length back. Every time I undo my braids, huge clumps of hair come out.

I have tried many moisturizers and products through the years and by and large they haven't changed anything. This is just the nature of my hair type.

I'm at a loss. My hair looks frizzy and messy even in fresh braids. I can't do a lot of other natural styles because of how thin my hair is. Twists or anything involving volume tends to look awful. At the same time, my hair doesn't look nice when it's straightened either, so I'm not sure how much good a perm would do. I think my hair looks best when I can cover it up completely, but it's not really socially acceptable to run around in a scarf all the time. I've considered just chopping it all off but I don't have the looks to pull that off.

I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any ideas on where to go from here?
    Do you have any pictures
    19 y/o lifelong natural {4a/O-shaped coils;spongy;porous;coarse;normal-dense;MBL!}

{products i love and use}
    Cleanse: Jason's Dandruff Shampoo
    Moisturize: LOCO with AVJ, oil mix and AOHSR; homemade cocoa butter cream
    Deep Condition: AOHSR + castor oil mix, Cassia/Amla/Aloe Vera Powder mix (happy scalp + strong/soft strands)
    Protein Treatment: Neutral Protein Filler
    Seal: Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, JBCO
    Scalp issues: Probiotics

read my blog!
    follow me on twittah!

Comment

Originally posted by asdfjkl View Post

Not only have I never been in your situation, I've never heard of anyone with that situation. Nevertheless, I have a possible solution. You should just chop it all off. Whatever hairstyle you think looks best on you, just buy a wig of it (long & straight, short & straight, curly, whatever) and rock that. It won't be damaging to your edges or anything because you won't have any. It may sound a bit drastic but your situation sounds kinda drastic.

Comment

Have you tried a dermatologist? There may be a medical reason for the hair loss.

Comment

Yes, I was going to suggest going to the doctor. Whenever the body is having issues and trying to fix itself. The first thing to go is the things the body does not need to live. Your hair, nails and skin can reflect your health. My doctor suspected I had RA just by studying my hands, fingers and nails. The tests confirmed it but it seemed amazing to me how our bodies work. So go to the doctor, get your blood checked, your vitamin levels and skin checked.
          Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
          Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
          Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
          Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
          Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

I would also suggest going to the doctor to make sure your health is in tip top shape.

You can also loc your hair (sister locs too). There are a ton of cute styling options for locs

Comment

If you are not happy with your natural hair, then you can always use the Professional Hair Extensions that will add volume and length to your thin hair and also help you in creating different hairstyles.
              Last edited by kevinallister; 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

You might want to go see a professional hair styles. Yes it's our hair but sometimes we are clueless about what it needs and someone that has been doing hair and have seen everything hair is capable of doing might be able to assist you further. you want to feel beautiful inside and out so that you can walk with your head up and look confident. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

I would love to see your hair

Comment

Working...
                  X