X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob in Need of Assistance

Hello, my name is Dora and I'm 23 years old. For most of my life I've always had my hair in braids though I did have dread locks in middle and high school. Unfortunately I didn't know how to take care of my hair so I had to hack it all off because I was experiencing a lot of breakage. I've grown out my hair for a couple of years with the hope of getting locks again but to be honest I have zero knowledge on how to take care of my hair. The only good thing in all of this is that I stayed away from relaxers and heat however I know my hair is very damaged from lack of care not to mention the fact that I've never even had a trim before. I'm in the process of taking down my braids right now so I want to use this as an opportunity to properly take care of my hair in it's natural state. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I am a true noob (don't even know the meaning of all these acronyms I keep seeing in blogs) who hasn't even begun her hair journey yet. Luckily there is a lot of information here though I don't even know were to begin. My hair is type 4B and really really dry (not sure if it's naturally dry or due to lack of care). Thanks in advance for the help, I really hope to begin this wonderful journey to natural and healthy hair

The quick simple version......
    1. Cleanse
    2. Deep Condition or Protein Treatment
    3. Leave-in/moisturizer
    4. Seal and protect your ends and edges

These are the basic steps. For product ideas check out the curly product section. Do a search for "regimen" and take a look at the regimens of other curlies to get ideas of what you want to do. But most importantly, listen to you hair and do what it needs. If it feels dry it's time to moisturize. If it feels dirty, it time to clean. If it feels brittle it's time for a protein treatment. And a good trim will do you some good as needed.

Hope this helps.
    sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
    BC 11/15/09
    NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
    My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

Thank you very much for replying! I will definitely give the regimes a look (I've been browsing this site for a few hours now). I also would like to mention that my hair is very coarse and brittle. It's quite thick on the crown but my weak spot is the back. It feels very thin and delicate there so I always worry that I am losing hair density. Actually right now I am more concerned about density than length. I just want my hair to be natural and healthy (and soft and shiny though that may be a stretch )

Comment

Soft and shiny is very achievable. I have very VERY course, thick, 3c, 4a-c hair. Any one who knows me in person will tell you that I hate crispy, crunchy hair. My hair is always soft and blinginig LOL . It's what I equate to healthy hair. Oh, and I am grazing mid-back length after almost 4 years of being natural.
        sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
        BC 11/15/09
        NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
        My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

Wow, that's amazing! I'm trying to make a personal pledge to myself to keep it all natural from this day forth since I got a lot of inspiration and motivation after seeing so many beautiful women with their natural hair. I think I can pull it off, I just have to stick to a regime crossing my fingers on this, haha.

Comment

NhappyJackie is right. its important to experiment to find a regimen that is right for you but the basics are wash(with shampoo or a cleansing conditioner), condition, leave in seal.

You can also prepoo which is just putting conditioners, oils, etc... in your dry hair and leaving it in at least 30 min but up to overnight. It helps to condition and prepare your hair for the cleansing process. Shampoos can be drying and a prepoo helps with that.

As for good products to try I've tried and loved
            Cleansers: Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars (the herb garden is good for shedding and thinning)
            As I am coconut co wash

Deep conditioners: Myhoneychild honey hair mask, olive you deep conditioner, coconut papaya hair paste, and Molasses Deep conditioner
            Aubrey organics White Camellia, and Honeysuckle rose,

Protein treatments: Aphrogee 2 min reconstructor, Aubrey organics GPB, Organic root stimulator hair mayo

Leave ins: Giovanni Direct leave in, Kinky curly knot today

Sealers: Avocado oil, castor oil, Avocado butter, hemp seed butter, Chamile Rose Jai twisting butter

Most of the things I've suggested can only be bought online. If you are looking for good store bought products try Shea Moisture. I've heard good things about them.

With the right technique and products you can have shiny manageable hair.

100% natural
            1 inch from bra strap
            3c/4a
            http://public.fotki.com/BronxJazzy/

Comment

Thanks for the step by step breakdown! Very helpful I don't have many products though I do have a few to get me started. I actually managed to snag two products from Shea Moisture prior to my path of natural hair (this is day 1!). The first is called Organic Yucca & Aloe Thickening Growth Milk w/Biotin & Bamboo Extract for thin/fine hair. Earlier I mentioned my hair feels quite thin in the middle/back so I am hoping this will help. I also have the accompanying Volumizing Conditioner. I'm not sure what type of shampoo I should be using though currently I have two types, one featuring aloe the other featuring olive. I have one leave in conditioner though I don't think it's anything special and an acai deep conditioning masque which can be used overnight. As for oils I have a wide range, from olive to lavender to rosemery and even sunflower seed oil. When I get done completing removing my braids (had to take a break earlier) I will definitely try out what seems to be the standardized method on maintaining and sealing in moisture for natural hair. Thanks again for all the help! I will probably end up ordering some of the products you mentioned though I want to take it one step at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X