X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still can't get the hang of it

My hair is getting on my nerves I'm so annoyed I don't know what to do anymore! It's been a lil over a year since I chopped off the perm and I've been on YouTube trying to get ideas on how to treat style and care for my hair. I hate braids but did have extensions and I hate weave I just want my natural hair to be natural long healthy and not dry. All the products I've bought overalls don't know what to put in it. My hair is so dry right now in scared to scratch my head cause I might break a strand. The last thing I did to my hair was the kerotin Brazilian treatment. But I don't wanna keep going thru that process, so annoying. Oh lord someone help please! Thanks

I am sooooo feeling your post. Iam new to this site as well, I have given my story asked for help, suggestions but nothing. I've been on you tube I am now a product junkie and my hair is Soooo dry and tangle. Im confused about porosity, protein,moisturizing, I need a good regime but just not sure where to start.#sighs

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Hi ladies! Confidencenheels, I saw your post and it kind of looks like it got lost in that thread, you probably should start your own. I am a year natural on the 17th of this month and I am just getting the hang of this thing too. My hair was disgustingly dry, but I've finally come up with a regimen that works for me. The thing is I've tried several other regiments that others have posted with similar (looking) hair and they didn't work for me. It's kind of a hit and miss to find out what your hair likes. I have 4a, low porous, dense hair. I deep condition once a week with an egg and olive oil conditioner. I usually co wash with tresemme naturals(mixed with essential oils) and leave a little bit in my hair. Because my hair is not very porous i'll typically wet my hair with hot water before applying TN. I apply the moisturizer of my choice, I used Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and the style milk today (buy one get 1 free at Target right now) and then I sealed my hair with a garnier fructis serum. I pulled it in a puff and it was very, very soft and moisturized! HTH

Comment

Hi ladies....sorry your having such a hard time....when I first started I was trying every thing under the sun too lol......but the key to starting a good regime in my opinion consists of 1. A moisturizing shampoo...2 a deep conditioner....3 a leave in conditioner an 4 a sealant rather that be a oil or a butter 5 and a styler.....then decide wether you want to cleanse your hair every week or every two weeks ect...its up to you...then stick to that....I know its a lot of information out there about porosity an if you are a...a,b,c 1,2,3,or 4.....concentrate on a regiem an listen to your hair if a product doesn't give you the results you want after a few weeks then change that product wit something elese till you find what your hair likes...its all about trial an error...keep a journal an write down what worked or didn't work....I've been on this journey for 2 half year's an I'm finally finding what works for my hair...don't give up just keep pushing an believe me it will all work out in due time...I hope this helps an give you some encouragement :-) Happy growing ladies!!!! Sorry for the long post...

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlyNikki App
        Last edited by Mzvirgo36; 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I did a co wash today with hello hydration,,my hair feels and looks like Ms.Sealy from the color purple....On to the next one I guess. #sighs again

Comment

I just checked tk see if I had any replies and I sort of thought the same thing thank you for your response
            Originally posted by Squeaky82 View Post
            Hi ladies! Confidencenheels, I saw your post and it kind of looks like it got lost in that thread, you probably should start your own. I am a year natural on the 17th of this month and I am just getting the hang of this thing too. My hair was disgustingly dry, but I've finally come up with a regimen that works for me. The thing is I've tried several other regiments that others have posted with similar (looking) hair and they didn't work for me. It's kind of a hit and miss to find out what your hair likes. I have 4a, low porous, dense hair. I deep condition once a week with an egg and olive oil conditioner. I usually co wash with tresemme naturals(mixed with essential oils) and leave a little bit in my hair. Because my hair is not very porous i'll typically wet my hair with hot water before applying TN. I apply the moisturizer of my choice, I used Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and the style milk today (buy one get 1 free at Target right now) and then I sealed my hair with a garnier fructis serum. I pulled it in a puff and it was very, very soft and moisturized! HTH

Comment

The Science of Black Hair is a really good book to pick up. The thing is to moisturize with a water based moisturizer then seal with an oil or butter. Try baggying with a plastic cap a
              few times a week. Check the ingredients on your moisturizing products because glycerin or mineral oil may the culprit of the chronic dryness . If you don't mind, please post your regimen and maybe we can figure
              this out together.

Comment

I can totally relate =p I've been natural for about 6 years now, and I still don't feel like I have the hang of it, either. I have different textures, different porosity levels, it's like there are two heads sewn together to make mine. hahha =p
                My struggle at the moment is length retention, especially in the back, which is basically Head #2. =p

So frustrating! My hair is really thick and I run through conditioner like nobody's business. I never wanted to be a stockpiler, but I guess I'll have to try that... Oy...

I keep thinking about cutting it all off and starting over.

Comment

@confidencnheels thanks for replying, yea it's really hard and truly does suck that information is offered all over the Internet but which ones are valid .. No clue. Also to find a trusted hair dresser that really knows and understands African American natural hair, I've always had problems in that area as well. I don't know, I hope the answer finds me soon because I'm really getting fed up. 😔Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

@mzvirgo36 that was good information and I will take it into consideration. I never thought about writing it all down, excellent. And as for hair type, how do I find out what mine is? I know the front is alot different from the rest it's crazy. Trial and error in deed. Hmm thanks 😄

Comment

@serenitey7 @serenitey7 I don't really have a regimen I just watch YouTube videos and buy products I think are good such as coconut oil olive oil rosemary oil avocado oil jojoba oil lavender oil just to name a few of the many. What is co wash? I know to use shampoo that doesn't have sulfate and I just bought and used atraactiva keratin a fix shampoo and conditioner because it has keratin. I mixed avocado olive rosemary oil and water together and put in a spritz bottle and shook it up spritz in my hair and did small twits then I put a plastic bag on and a silk scarf on top of that . I'm going on the second day now and I have not removed it. My hair was so dry this was all I could think of. 😣

Comment

@serenitey7 oh and I will be buying that book thanks for telling me. 😃

Comment

@teppuM no 6 years is long dont give up!! I know it's tempting but don't I just learned there's a book out there to help.. The science of black hair which should be good so there's help. But I don't even know what my porosity level is or type hair or texture but I will get this book because I refuse to go back to that cold white cream. You should get it too😺

Comment

some people are lucky to get a handle on it right away while others (like me) still stumble over most roadblocks. a lot of days i wish my hair was a person so i could sacrifice it to some heartless deity >.> Not because it doesn't grow but because i can't do much with it at all.

we all have different timelines for when we reach that happy/lazy place with our hair, just hang on.

PS: ive been on this journey 3 years and almost MBL and still dont know how the hell to style this bush
                            cbl - apl - bsl - mbl - wsl - WHIP - HL

fine/medium, dense, low porosity, 3c/4a/4b
                            shamp: CJ daily fix, theraneem gentle
                            con: CJ repair me, Naturelle grow dcs
                            leave in: SSI marsmallow butter
                            seal/style: coiffed sugar foot frosting, gleau oil

Comment

Working...
                            X