X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Protective Styling

I am looking to begin wearing more protective styles butsome of the styles I came across on YouTube require you to style your hair each morning. These styles might be just low manipulation styles but are they also protective? Is a protective style only a style you can leave in your hair without requiring any manipulation for weeks at a time? I really like the styles that require old braid outs or twist outs and a whole lot of pinning, kinda retro, but I want to make sure styling like this every day isn't doing my hair a disservice. Can you help?
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

*~Working on a Better Me ~*
        Hair Length: Just below Shoulder Length
        Hair goal: Waist Length by 12/31/15!!

My Etsy Page!

Comment

A protective style is any style where your ends are tucked away and hidden from the elements. Most protective styles are low manipulation while they are in that particular style.

Low manipulation styles don't always have to be protective styles, but are styles where you are not doing daily combing, styling, etc.

You need to choose which you want to invest in and wether you want to choose one over the other or do a combo protective/low maintenance style. For example, my hair is currently in a protective style (ends are tucked away) and I am doing very low manipulation because I don't touch it during the week and do a TO over the weekend.

The best advice is to test it out and keep a close watch on your tresses to see if you have splits, ssk, etc. What works for some doesn't always wrk for others.
          I KNOW I got good hair...It's AFRICAN in my family!

The Long Kiss...Hair Blog

Comment

Thanks ladies

Comment

my go-to protective style is BRAIDS!! box braids, senegalese, cornrows, kinky twists.. all can be left in for weeks/months, while protecting my ends and looking good!!

Comment

Working...
              X