X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay Challenge

One of our fellow curlies, CurlyChemist94, suggested a Clay Challenge and everyone got really excited so I thought I would go ahead and get it together real quick.

If anyone doesn't know anything about Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, both clays have high percentages of natural minerals. These make the clays highly detoxifying as they can actually exchange themselves for toxic compounds like metals in the hair and skin. Perhaps the best part, is that the clays don't contain harmful sulfates, synthetic preservatives, petrochemical derivatives or cones. The hair becomes extremely soft and manageable naturally after just one use. A lot of curlies use the clay as a replacement for shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner all in ONE! These treatments can be used once or twice a month (I have read you can also use everyday) to cleanse the scalp and hair.

And to make you more even excited to use this clay, it can ALSO be used has a face mask/facial to CLEAN and make your face softer!

The Challenge will be to wash your hair with either clay once a week for 2 months (This time period can change. It can be shorter or long. I just want to put something out there). The objective is see a difference in our hair, whereas, softness, maintenance (With this clay it should be easier to detangle), has your curl pattern changed, do you have MORE of a curl patten???

Take pics of before, during, after and let's see a difference!

There are tons of reviews by tons of curlies including myself on the Homemade Mud Wash Thread so go check it out if you want more reviews before buying or doing this challenge.

Also, share what clay you are using, your routine (Do you wash your hair before, or just put the clay on dry hair?) and your recipes!!!

There are also tons of recipes on that thread on you can use your own or just use the clay! That would be fine too! I found some other recipes and benefits of the 2 different clays online just for a guide if you want to mix the clay up:

Bentonite Clay - Natural Hair Care Treatment:
    Extremely detoxifying. It will clarify your hair like no other. That's why I only used this once a month. Is a little harder to rinse out.This recipe depends on the length and thickness of your naturally curly hair. So be prepared to add as needed.Apply clay mixture to wet or damp hair in sections, starting from the back and moving forward. Do not rub.

Prep time: 10 mins

Instructions:
    Mix 1/2 cup Bentonite clay
    Slowly add *water to the clay until you achieve a pancake mix consistency.
    1/4 cup of unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    Add 3 Tablespoons each of Grape seed & Coconut Oils
    Apply to your hair (slightly damp or wet)
    Allow to set for between 15 - 20 minutes
    Rinse thoroughly

*water can be replaced with your choice of liquid for example:
    rose water

Hair Care Benefits:
    After you Shampoo
    One single treatment of Bentonite Clay will remove build-up from your scalp leaving natural hair clean without using harmful sulfates.

As a shampoo replacement:
    Bentonite Clay may also be used like a shampoo, trapping and removing dirt, debris, build up and other particles from your hair and scalp.

As a facial:
    Mix Clay with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar and/or water. Use a non-metal bowl and utensils. Stir the mixture well to a smooth paste. Apply to the face or neck area. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes for delicate skin. For normal skin let dry for 15 - 20 minutes. You will feel a pulling and tightening sensation. Remove clay by washing with warm water. This wonderful facial will remove impurities and dirt from the pores.

Rhassoul Clay - Natural Hair Care Treatment:
    Will clarify but has conditioning properties as well. This mix can be used weekly with out drying the hair out. A lot easier to rinse out when compared to bentonite clay.This recipe depends on the length and thickness of your naturally curly hair. So be prepared to add as needed. Apply clay mixture to wet or damp hair in sections, starting from the back and moving forward. Do not rub. The clay will clean the scalp and hair, leaving healthier follicles.

Prep time: 10 mins

Instructions:
    Mix 1/2 cup Rhassoul clay
    Slowly add *water to the clay until you achieve a pancake mix consistency.
    Add 3 Tablespoons each of Grape seed & Coconut Oils
    1/4 cup of unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    Apply to your hair (slightly damp or wet)
    Allow to set for 10 minutes for dry hair or 20 minutes for oily hair.
    Rinse thoroughly

*water can be replaced with your choice of liquid for example:
    rose water

Hair Care Benefits:
    After you Shampoo
    One single treatment of Rhassoul Clay will remove build-up from your scalp leaving natural hair clean without using harmful sulfates.

As a shampoo replacement:
    Rhassoul Clay may also be used like a shampoo trapping and removing dirt, debris, build up and other particles from your hair and scalp.

Since a new month is upon us, how about starting this challenge Oct 1st. We can choose a later date too but let's choose this date for a start. If curlies need more time to read this thread, buy the products we can most def start later...

Anyone interested!
    Last edited by Perm2Natural; 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM.
    My Staples
    Pre-Poo: Castor, EVCO and Jojoba Oils
    Shampoo: Rhassoul Clay
    Co-Wash: Pantene Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner(s): Dax Roots Hair Mayonnaise & Pantene Deep Conditioner
    Leave-In(s): KCKT
    Sealant(s): EVCO
    Styler(s): Pantene Defining Curls Custard

I just bought a whole bunch of Rhassoul clay and i have some bentonite clay here at the house so i can definitely do this challenge!!!

OCt 1st Sounds great to me. I'm in the semester challenge so i think this works perfectly for a washing routine.
    Naturally me

No makeup - No relaxer - Just as I am!
    http://www.naturalandprofessional.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have some rhassoul clay that I haven't used yet. I think I may join this challenge!

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
      Staples:
      Prepoo - JBCO & Condish
      Shampoo - Shea Moisture, CJ Daily Fix
      Conditioner - SSI Avocado, HE HIS, LUV Nat
      Leave in - KBN Shealoe, DB pumpkin seed, LUV Nat, CK Satin Roots
      Styler - Oyin S&D, OM Shape Shifter, BF Creme Brle
      Gel - CK Coil Jam, Let's Jam Custard
      Moisturizer - Oyin Hair Dew, DB Sweet Cocoa Bean
      DC - SM Anti-breakage Masque, SSI Okra Hair, Rhassoul Clay DC
      Henna - Red Raj

BC'd August 13, 2010 No Transition
      Blog here in the forumThe Life of a Capricorn

Comment

Yay! Does the 2month period work for you curlies? Do you girls think this is a decent period of time?
        My Staples

Comment

Originally posted by Perm2Natural View Post
          Yay! Does the 2month period work for you curlies? Do you girls think this is a decent period of time?
          Yes i think it does. 2 months isn't a long time for challenge at all.
          Naturally me

Comment

I'm pumped & ready to go! I still have some bentonite clay leftover, & some distilled water, so I can make the mix once more. I should restock, though.
            Btdubs, would it be okay if I did bentonite for October & then Rhassoul for November? I want to see if there's any differences in the way they make my hair feel. I'll post my recipe later

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

That's a great idea for those that have both clays!

Originally posted by CurlyChemist94 View Post
              I'm pumped & ready to go! I still have some bentonite clay leftover, & some distilled water, so I can make the mix once more. I should restock, though.
              Btdubs, would it be okay if I did bentonite for October & then Rhassoul for November? I want to see if there's any differences in the way they make my hair feel. I'll post my recipe later

My Staples

Comment

I sooo want to participate! Does anyone know where in Atlanta I can pick up either of these clays on the ground?!
                Having a love affair with my 4b/4c kinky curly coils

Last Relaxer: On my wedding day! July 30, 2011

Comment

I am going to sub to this thread. I already use terressentials weekly so it's not really a challenge for me. But once I finish it up I am thinking of buying just the clay and mix it up myself.

Good Luck to everyone. I think mud wash is great!

Comment

How do the clay work with protective styles? I have mini twists in now and I plan on washing my hair with clay monthly when i take them out.
                    but has anyone tried washing with clay on styled hair?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using CurlyNikki App
                    Tightly coiled 4a TWA
                    CW: GTTTT
                    S: EVOO&EVCO

Comment

Originally posted by NYhoneydip View Post
                      How do the clay work with protective styles? I have mini twists in now and I plan on washing my hair with clay monthly when i take them out.
                      but has anyone tried washing with clay on styled hair?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using CurlyNikki App
                      I was wondering the same thing, actually. I can't remember if Naptural85 used Terressentials when she did mini twists or not.

Comment

Yes! I'm so in. Bought Some Rhausoul clay this week from Camden grey, it should arrive soon but have some left to get started with. Also got some bentonite clay in my stash, the last time I used it, made my hair a lil bit dry, but will try it again. I''ve had No problems with rhausoul clay.
                        Will be clarifying my hair this weekend with the remaining Rhausoul clay, will post recipe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App
                        Learning to ignore things is 1 of the great paths to inner Peace

Comment

Here's my recipe!

1/3 c. + 1 Tbsp. Bentonite clay
                          1/4 c. warm/hot Raw unfiltered ACV, heated
                          1/2 c. warm/hot distilled water
                          1 Tbsp. Grapeseed oil
                          1 Tbsp. Coconut oil (melted)
                          2 Tbsp. RO conditioner

I mix the water & ACV together & warm them in the microwave for about a minute. Heating them up just helps the solubility of the clay, so more will dissolve. I like my clay more liquidy & not pasty. I apply it on soaking wet hair after clarifying with an ACV:water mix of 2:1 or 3:1.

Comment

Yes naptural has a video of washing hair with mini tiwsts. She only uses terressentials so thats what she washed her hair with. She out on a stocking cap first though.
                            Naturally me

Comment

@Curlychemist94, saw that you mixed in some conditioner to your mix... I have a question ... does the Conditioner affect the benefits of the clay??? I was just really curious. I saw you post and have a little trouble getting the bentonite off of my scalp sometimes so, if i mix in conditioner should that help?
                              Naturally me

Comment

Working...
                              X