Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone making DIY 100% natural shampoo& conditioner???

I'm thinking about making my own shampoo at home with all organic products. Anyone looking to do the same I am willing to experiment so if you are up for it, We can make it a challenge to experiment together. And if you already have/have been making your own shampoo and conditioner at home feel free to share pleaseeeee! thank you!

Originally posted by AnnaFequiere View Post
    I'm thinking about making my own shampoo at home with all organic products. Anyone looking to do the same I am willing to experiment so if you are up for it, We can make it a challenge to experiment together. And if you already have/have been making your own shampoo and conditioner at home feel free to share pleaseeeee! thank you!
    I'm curious to know why you want to make your own natural shampoo etc? cause there are so many brands out there which are 100% natural, organic and affordable- they may not necessarily be targeted at natural hair but they're just as good if not better for the hair...
    I'm not putting you or down or anything, I really am just curious about whether you're thinking of this on a small scale or large scale...cause while I'm pro DIY etc there are some things I just wouldn't make especially if you're not a seasoned DIYer.

And the ingredient list lol, by the time you buy all that stuff, go through the trial and error of mixing..you might end up with a product your hair really doesn't like, and it might end up costing more than a regular 100% natural shampoo would cost!

Have you ever considered using clays like bentonite to wash you hair? Or even just the simple apple cider vinegar? They don't strip your hair like conventional shampoos.

I personally eliminated the conventional products- I use: acv+rhassoul clay to wash my hair, yogurt to dc, water+glycerin to spritz & Shea butter mix to seal and style. Simple and 100% natural.

Comment

Honestly, I thought about making my own conditioner. The natural/organic conditioners I buy never seem to contain enough product (for the price)... And I have a lot of hair. Also, I really liked AO Honeysuckle Rose but wished it was a tad more moisturizing with a tad more slip. Yeah, I could have added some ingredients... But if I'm BUYING a product, I don't like having to doctor it up.

On that note, I agree that creating my own condish from scratch COULD be ineffective and costly. I also ditched shampoos for clays and ACV which both work amazingly! As far as (rinse out) conditioner goes, I think it could pay off over time (depending on cost of bulk ingredients to ounces etc) if I was really able to tailor it to the needs of my hair...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I've made a DIY African Black Soap Shampoo (water/African black soap/honey) in the past. I don't make it often but it works well -- it cleanses without stripping and leaves my hair soft.

I regularly make a DIY Aloe-Castor Hair Mask (Lily of the Desert Whole Leaf aloe vera gel/castor oil/vegetable glycerin). I use it before shampooing and it leaves my hair super soft and moisturized.
        Last edited by Fronomenal; 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM.
        Big Chop: 12/15/08

Detangle: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Cleanse: SM Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Deep Condition: SM Purification Masque
        Leave-In Condition: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner

Moisturize: SM Curl & Style Milk, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
        Oils/Butters: Parachute Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Njoi Creations Ayurvedic Hair Butter
        Gels: Alba Botanica Strong Hold Style Gel, Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~

Comment

Are you looking for a true shampoo or a cleanser? If you have soap making experience, you can of course make liquid soap for shampoo with natural ingredients, if not I wouldn't suggest jumping into liquid soaps before mastering solid soap making first.

Otherwise there's a lot of things you can use for natural cleansers, like some posted above. There are clays, soap nuts (Aritha powder), etc.
          "Failure, in my book, is someone who lives in the safety of their laptop taking shots at those who actually achieved what they have been unable to do." ~ Eli Roth

Comment

To answer all your questions, i wanted to do the 100 % all natural DIY shampoo and conditioner because it seems like alot of products falsely advertise about their all natural ingredients when really even the first three ingredients are nowhere near natural. also i need EXTREME conditioning cuz i just trimmed my TWA cuz even tho i spritz my hair doesnt stay moisturized. it did for a while and i started using jojoba oil and it works for the scalp just not the hair and i kinda notice the shampoo im using is giving me headaches. If you girls wouldnt mind just telling me where i can find that clay stuff or 100% nastural products to just cleanse the hair and scalp i dont even care if its shampoo or not i just want moisturized hair. i have 100% organic greek yogurt. can i use that ?

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaFequiere View Post
              To answer all your questions, i wanted to do the 100 % all natural DIY shampoo and conditioner because it seems like alot of products falsely advertise about their all natural ingredients when really even the first three ingredients are nowhere near natural. also i need EXTREME conditioning cuz i just trimmed my TWA cuz even tho i spritz my hair doesnt stay moisturized. it did for a while and i started using jojoba oil and it works for the scalp just not the hair and i kinda notice the shampoo im using is giving me headaches. If you girls wouldnt mind just telling me where i can find that clay stuff or 100% nastural products to just cleanse the hair and scalp i dont even care if its shampoo or not i just want moisturized hair. i have 100% organic greek yogurt. can i use that ?
              I completely understand your reasoning but it still seems like a lot of effort...To save you the hassle of buying the clay and mixing yourself,you could just buy the terresentials mud wash, its 100% natural and organic and it both cleanses and conditions the hair - no need for shampoo no need for conditioner. I was using it before together with my acv but since I live in the UK I can only get it when someone I know is flying over.

Website http://www.terressentials.com/

It is pricey though but, but for a natural and organic product expect to pay more + a little goes a long way

In terms of the dryness you've recently bc'd!!!!!!!!! So your hair will have a tendency to be dry, this is nothing to worry about you've just got to get it under control. T
              his won't happen overnight, maybe not even in a week.

One thing you can do is baggy overnight - sleep with a shower cap or plastic bag over the hair. Its helps force moisture into the strands. Do this maybe three times a week + dc.

I would be cautious when using the Greek yogurt because it is a protein deep conditioner and dry hair+protein doesn't always turn out well & you maybe protein sensitive which might lead to more breakage. Try incorporating it later when you've got your moisture under control, or better do a strand test to see if your curls can handle it.

If you really want to try some other dc's other than the one I recommended, check out this website:

http://hairandhealth.blogspot.co.uk/...nditioners?m=1

But I still say simple is best, honey olive oil and a conditioner if your choice, dc oncee a week and you're good to go

Comment

And if you're looking for 100% natural shampoo and conditioner here are some brands that are reliable

Acure organics
                John masters organics
                Aubrey's organics
                Intelligent nutrients
                Dudu osun/ black soap
                Dr bronners
                Giovanni
                Yes to carrots (not sure about this one, think there's a cone in one of the conditioners)
                Bubble and bee
                Green people
                And so many more (I'm not in the US so not entirely sure what brands you have)

Look into shampoo bars, most of them tend to be 100%natural and don't strip the hair.

Also natural cleansers, aloe vera juice, baking soda, apple cider vinegar.

None of these brands are targeted at kinky/coily hair but they are STILL amazing for our type of hair, and the great thing is that most of them do samples so you don't have to buy a whole product that may not work for your hair.
                They aren't drugstore prices but they are ideal if you're going down the green product line.

And a word of caution 100% natural doesn't automatically = more moisturising..black soap for example strips my hair just as badly as a sls shampoo so I avoid it,but a lot of other naturals love it for their hair.

You need to work out what ingredients your hair loves.

Comment

Thank you so much. This will definitely be a good guide for me. If I can't get this stuff around I'll order online. (: I'm excited to try this. Also I randomly noticed that my hair randomly would feel dry but at the same time feels like glue and very not sticky but feels weird and awkward like the hair is not absorbing or keeping it's moisture. What do I do Dx

Sent from my PantechP9070 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I use clays: African purification mask (Shea m) or Bentonite clay mix to wash my hair/scalp
                    OR I use one cup bicarbonate soda and two cups distilled water to cleanse my hair. I would use any of these once a month to remove buildup

I buy natural conditioners and each time I wash my hair I use it to dc but not alone. In order to make it go further I do: 2spoons of conditioner, 1spoon of honey and 1spoon of acv (undiluted)

I usually use the bicarbonate mix as my cleanser and mix up my own conditioner. I'm not sure if this helps. I've tried looking into making my own but the effort of it was too much.. I just use what I have and make it better xx

Comment

Sounds good. Now where can I get Clay and also what is acv

Sent from my PantechP9070 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I think you can get the clay from butter n bars online and acv is apple cider vinegar found in any health shop

Comment

Ahh okay thank you so much (: im just really upset that the one sulfate free shampoo and condish i have give me headaches so i'll be trying these out and hopefully it works for me (:

Comment

Rhassoul clay has amazing conditioning properties. I use bentonite clay as a cleanser. "mud washes" are great, I haven't had the need to follow up with any additional products after using them. They leave the hair clean, soft, easily to detangle, moisturized and defined much better than any products I've bought.

Comment

Im looking for a good conditioner. any ideas ? i just ran out

Comment

Working...
                              X