Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did henna improve the condition of your hair?

Hey, I hope I'm doing this right...! Sorry if not. May I ask what people think when it comes to henna improving the condition of hair? I'm planning on hennaing (?) soon and hoping for it to have a conditioning effect (not that condition is too bad). I have used semi-permanent dyes before but decided henna was the way to go. I try to use natural as possible products etc. Thanks for reading.

There's a huge henna thread...you should ask your question there too.

Comment

In short, it's kind of like a protein treatment as it coats your hair, allowing moisture to be kept in longer and can strengthen your hair. It doesn't work well for everyone, particularly those with low porosity, as some find it drying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Oh right, thanks. Hope it's not drying on me, doubt it but good to know that can happen (well, kind of). Thank you.

Comment

My hair is shinier and seems stronger with henna. And my scalp is in a much better condition from using henna than box dyes. Box dyes (even those done by a professional) made my scalp real itchy, dry, flaky and sometimes burned like a perm. Since using henna my scalp is still prone to being itchy and dry (I use lemon juice in my mix, but eh I can live w/ that), but it definitely does not burn! And I love the color!
            2nd time around: Last relaxer approx Jan 2007
            Totally kinky-coily since 2008
            Henna head

Comment

It makes my hair stronger and shinier too, but it is dry for a few days, so I don't apply it that frequently anymore. Just be sure to deep condition after.

See the sub-forum"Henna for Hair", there are more henna threads there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Although I have only henna'd twice so far...I have had great results. My curl pattern is more defined and my coils/curls "clump" together more compared to my pre-henna days. I wish I would have began to use henna way earlier!

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Ok, cool, I will be sure to do that, thecrazy88. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss TeeTee View Post
                      My hair is shinier and seems stronger with henna. And my scalp is in a much better condition from using henna than box dyes. Box dyes (even those done by a professional) made my scalp real itchy, dry, flaky and sometimes burned like a perm. Since using henna my scalp is still prone to being itchy and dry (I use lemon juice in my mix, but eh I can live w/ that), but it definitely does not burn! And I love the color!
                      Hey, thanks. I do have to be careful with my scalp so that's good to hear. May I ask why lemon juice?

Comment

Yes, Henna makes my hair shinier, stronger, it holds on to moisture better, it tangles less and it dries better. Before I started to henna, my hair would take days to dry properly. Now it dries in a reasonable amount of time and it doesn't feel so fragile.

My curls pop and even though I still have frizz, its much less then before. (Frizz is just apart of my hair texture, I embrace the frizz. lol) It's especially kind to my ends. I get way less ssks with henna. I have done a quick henna on my ends a couple of times when I felt they were tangling a bit much. It worked. No magic though, but very good results over time.
                        Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
                        Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
                        Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
                        Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
                        Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

• Ella88
                          Ella88 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's good to hear. I'm definately gonna try it out. I have recently had my hair cut pretty short which has lessened frizziness but could still do with a helping hand in that dept so hoping will be similar for me. Thanks : D
                          ---

Originally posted by Ella88 View Post
                        Hey, thanks. I do have to be careful with my scalp so that's good to hear. May I ask why lemon juice?
                        Lemon juice is acidic, which helps quicken the dye release in the henna. Could also use tea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlyNikki App
                        Big Chop=7/18/2011
                        Last Relaxer=May 2011

Comment

• Ella88
                          Ella88 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome, thanks.
                          ---

Originally posted by Ella88 View Post
                        as kinkyjen stated, lemon juice is an acid that helps with dye release. tea, coconut milk, alma or warm water could be used instead.
                        2nd time around: Last relaxer approx Jan 2007
                        Totally kinky-coily since 2008
                        Henna head

Comment

Learned something new. I didn't know henna could be used to dye your hair.

Comment

• Madeaj
                            Madeaj commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think the initial use of henna was to color hair and skin because henna is a red dye. The other benefits are an extra bonus I think. Henna will not lighten dark hair so if your hair is already dark or black you will get the health benefits of henna with just a little glow of red in high light or sunlight. It actually makes my dark brown hair look darker and my few grays look like coppery red strings. I'd had friends reach to pull what they thought was a red string and turned out to be my hair. lol
                            ---

Working...
                        X