Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Henna curl loosening, my hair texture is ruined and I feel like I've tried everything Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henna curl loosening, my hair texture is ruined and I feel like I've tried everything

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice about how to revive my hair texture, particularly the lower half of my hair. I have about chest-length hair that I had been straightening with a flat iron for years. I decided to go natural just over a year ago, got rid of cones, which I realized was a mistake as my hair does really well with them, and decided to switch to henna instead of my usual semi-permanents (Clairol's Jazzing and Beautiful Collection). Although I loved the color I have since switched back to semi permanent color because after two henna treatments last summer my hair relaxed from about 3C to 2C. I used Jamila mixed with strong Red Zinger and honey for about 4 hours per application followed by deep conditioning and oil treatments. I've included a picture below of the distinct line between my new growth and the hair that was affected by the henna.

I used to relax my hair back in the day and stopped about 8 years ago - I'm experiencing the same type of breakage at the stress line between the two textures and I'm literally at my wits end. I've tried amla treatments just at the lower half to revive the curl, intense conditioning treatments with steam, clarifying shampoo with and without sulfates and absolutely nothing has worked. I was so proud of my long, curly hair as it took about 8 years to grow to this length after I went natural from relaxing. The very LAST thing I want to do is a big chop. Has anyone experienced recovery from this? Any advice would be most appreciated!
    Distinct line between new growth and henna-treated hair. My hair was the new growth texture before the henna treatments.

Have you tried a protein treatment? A protein treatment followed by a dc should help. Good luck!

Comment

I'd suggest trying the Aphogee Intense Protein Pack. It helped to revive some of my curl when I got a bit of heat damage. I hope this helps!
      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt

Last Relaxer: January 12th, 2013
      Big Chop: April 12th, 2014

Comment

I definitely would Not recommend doing a hard protein treatment. Reason being, henna actually binds to molecules within the hair shaft permanently, which is why many consider henna to be a natural protein treatment. Your curls have likely loosened due to the added weight from the henna molecules. Throwing more protein into the mix will likely make your hair drier and more brittle, which leads to increased breakage. Your henna'd hair isn't necessarily damaged, it just weighs more now. But since henna is permanent, your default curl pattern could take a couple years to return. Sent from my LG-D801 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Thanks for all of the answers. I was also told that protein would make it worse, but on the other hand conditioning every day has made my hair too soft! I've considered getting a curly perm to reset the pattern, and have been using curlformers to blend textures but I must be tender-headed because my scalp is always sore afterward. Has anyone heard anything about perming hair that has been treated with pure body art grade henna? I have a feeling that big chop is in my future

Comment

What about trying a braid/twist out instead of curlformers to potentially avoid the sore head?

Comment

I suggest simplifying your routine rather then adding to it. You've already clarified, conditioned and conditioned again.

Try simple shampoo, then a light oil rinse followed by your favorite rinse out conditioner. Make sure to rinse everything out with warm/cool water. Braid it lightly and loose and wrap in a t-shirt to soak up most of the water. Then style it in a loose tuck and roll or loose side twist. I think some call them Goddess twists or braids. That's it. No tight puffs or wash and goes where you pull or smooth your hair back. Sometimes hair needs to just get a break from manipulation intense styles. Its sounds like your scalp might need a break too. Give it a month or so to normalize and then reevaluate. I notice sometimes when I do too much, my hair gets mad and lets me know it.

The relaxer or curly perm will still be there if nothing else works. Hope this helps
              Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
              Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
              Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
              Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
              Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

next time you henna (if you do again) only henna the roots and not your entire head. After a few treatments, henna has to only be applied to the roots because every treatment loosens the curl pattern. You can use a dye brush to help only get the roots. Hope this helps this is a link of a dye brush if you don't know what I am talking about http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Color-Tin.../dp/B0002Z914O

Comment

Working...
                X