X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant trimming due to split ends = no growth

For over a year, I have maintained the same hair length (short to medium-short) because I've constantly had to cut off my split ends. I twisted, didn't manipulate, got a bonnet, satin pillowcase, etc. I started making my own daily and twisting oils, switched to henna from dyes to cover grays---I was doing it all. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I had found the culprit--running my fingers down my hair shaft after a co-poo, I discovered that my cuticles were wide, wide open. Since I'd been neglecting ACV, I immediately re-added it back to my routine.

Another slight trim was called for--only to wake up one day to more split ends. NOw when I say split, I mean that my ends feel 'rough' when I grab a small section of hair and slide my fingers to the end. My hair 'looked' fine--defined, smooth (more or less, lol) and nice and black from henna & indigo.

I feel like a complete fool. Maybe that's the way my hair is supposed to feel. In desperation, I took many (many) samples from all over my head and looked thru them from a 60X magnifier. What did I see? Round, shiny, smooth, very coily hair with straight blunt ends. Sigh. I realize that I may be missing something since I didnt' look at my hair under a microscope, but I will now choose to believe my eyes and start ignoring how it feels.

So, no more cutting for me. I'm hoping I can look back a year from now and laugh--having finally gotten some length.

This is why I don't cut my hair myself. I have my hair cut by a stylist. She only dusts my ends, she doesn't take off length, so my hair grows and these sessions occur every 8 weeks. She only does a major cut ever 6-12 months.
    come celebrate
    with me that everyday
    something has tried to kill me
    and has failed
    ~Lucille Clifton

Comment

Finding naturalistas (with a salon) in Los Angeles is like trying to find a sista who isn't wearing a butt length weave. Hard to do.....

Comment

I dust my ends myself bc finding a hair stylist to do so in these parts are Rare.... I literally only trim when my ends feel rough, and when the oil doesn't seem to react to my ends. Do you seal your moisture with any oil by chance? Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlyNikki App

Comment

O nm sorry about that question didn't see that you do. That's just me not reading properly disregard... Just trying to do a little digging as to why... Hmm do you deep condition? Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlyNikki App

Comment

We have the same issue! For the longest stylists thought I had split ends until one looked closely and couldn't find not a single split end! She just said my ends were frizzy...even after they were cut they still looked that way. That was back in my relaxed days...even now, as a natural my hair still looks that way when I flat iron it. When its curly, you can't tell. But I don;t have any split ends! They just look/feel frizzy. With that being said, I don't have any other advice but to embrace it and to continue taking care of your hair like you have been. Good luck.
            BC 5/25/13
            Last relaxer 11/5/12
            I'm finally free!!

Comment

I think it is a good idea to grow the hair long by doing the constant trimming due to the split ends of growth...
              Best Hair Transplant Islamabad in Pakistan| FUE Hair Transplant in Peshawar Pakistan

Comment

Working...
              X