X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairy knot help

I keep getting what's called fairy knots at the end of my hair. I get them trimmed but they keep coming back. Any tips to help me?!???!!!

Silicone serums!

I have not seen knots or frizz since I incorporated them into my regimen.

They are synthetic oils, so you use and remove them the same way you do oils.
    Wen...nothing else!

Comment

I agree. I've noticed less knots by using oil more often.

Comment

Ignore them. Fairy knots (aka single strand knots) are a part of having natural kinky/coily/curly hair. Focus on other things.
        Big Chop: 12/15/08

Detangle: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Cleanse: SM Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Deep Condition: SM Purification Masque
        Leave-In Condition: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner

Moisturize: SM Curl & Style Milk, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
        Oils/Butters: Parachute Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Njoi Creations Ayurvedic Hair Butter
        Gels: Alba Botanica Strong Hold Style Gel, Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~

Comment

Here are some ideas that might help you:
          5 Ways to Eliminate Fairy Knots | Black Girl with Long Hair
          come celebrate
          with me that everyday
          something has tried to kill me
          and has failed
          ~Lucille Clifton

Comment

Originally posted by Fronomenal View Post
            Ignore them. Fairy knots (aka single strand knots) are a part of having natural kinky/coily/curly hair. Focus on other things.
            I so disagree with this (and I'm not sure why). Maybe these knots lead to damage? They don't have to be a part of our journey.

You can prevent them (silicones), or minimize them (oils).
            Wen...nothing else!

Comment

The problem is the hair snaps off above the knot and that causes the hair to split. That is why I posted that link earlier; fairy knots must not be ignored, Honny is correct.
              come celebrate
              with me that everyday
              something has tried to kill me
              and has failed
              ~Lucille Clifton

Comment

Ignoring knots only leads to more knots. I find that moisturizing more and sealing has decreased my knots to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by HonnyBrown View Post
                  I so disagree with this (and I'm not sure why). Maybe these knots lead to damage? They don't have to be a part of our journey.

You can prevent them (silicones), or minimize them (oils).
                  They may or may not lead to damage but in my opinion it's not worth fighting a natural tendency.

With that said, I still do things that are said to prevent/reduce single strand knots -- keep hair stretched, keep hair moisturized and oils, trim regularly, etc. -- but I do so for the general health of my hair not to prevent super tiny knots on hair strands.
                  Last edited by Fronomenal; 10-26-2013, 06:11 PM.

Oils/Butters: Parachute Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Njoi Creations Ayurvedic Hair Butter

Comment

Originally posted by Lean C View Post
                    Ignoring knots only leads to more knots. I find that moisturizing more and sealing has decreased my knots to zero.
                    But who doesn't do this? And yet, people still get fairy knots...
                    Last Relaxer: The End Of August/2011 Big Chopped: November 2nd 2012

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalBlackjack View Post
                      I agree - I moisturise and seal like a pro and I still get fairy knots. I must admit some of them appear on wash day if I don't secure my ends properly.

Silicones also never worked for me, if anything they made my hair drier and caused even more fair knots.. might have to do with being a low po curly?

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalBlackjack View Post
                        Exactly my point. They're unavoidable so why try to avoid them. *shrugs*

Comment

I use silicones and I never get SSKs or frizz.

It is possible to prevent them.
                          Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Realizing that everyone's hair, regimine, and preferences are different: My hair at its longest and stretched is bsl and I wear wng's 90% of the time, i get minimal if any ssk. What has recently helped to reduce knots for me is: midweek-cowash followed by an oil rinse paying special attention to coat the ends and a final rinse with my conditoner. On Saturdays, I cleanse with my clay mixture, followed by acv, oil rinse/conditoner rinse.
                            Peace, Light & Love
                            Hair Staples: Rhassoul clay (cleanse), Oil Rinsing, Marshmallow Moisture Balm, FSG or AVG

Comment

I hardly ever get fairy knots. Keeping my hair stretched and moisturized, as well occasionally oil rinsing my strands, seems to do the trick.

Honny endorses using silicones for fairy knots big time, and she has had success with them. Some people don't like using silicones, and find that oils are effective as well.

If you find that fairy knots are negatively impacting the health of your hair, and there are available remedies, I don't know why you wouldn't try them out.
                              19 y/o lifelong natural {4a/O-shaped coils;spongy;porous;coarse;normal-dense;MBL!}

{products i love and use}
                              Cleanse: Jason's Dandruff Shampoo
                              Moisturize: LOCO with AVJ, oil mix and AOHSR; homemade cocoa butter cream
                              Deep Condition: AOHSR + castor oil mix, Cassia/Amla/Aloe Vera Powder mix (happy scalp + strong/soft strands)
                              Protein Treatment: Neutral Protein Filler
                              Seal: Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, JBCO
                              Scalp issues: Probiotics

read my blog!
                              follow me on twittah!

Comment

Working...
                              X