Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should I start using protective styling?

I've been post relaxer for about 3 weeks which isn't really a long time because I'm considering long term transitioning for 3 years.

When should I start using protective styling and how long should I keep them in?
    My mother did my first flat twists a week ago but I'm not sure of that type of style is appropriate considering I haven't been transitioning for that long. Is there a certain time period in which I should start using protective styling? Also are there certain styles I should use for certain phases?

I'm very inexperienced with the whole concept and was wondering do I have to keep redoing them every time I wash my hair? It's seems like such a tedious process I'm not use to since I have relaxed hair.

And I'm 15 so I'll be in school when I am transitioning and my mother is really concerned about my hair looking neat, presentable and basically not "nappy". I don't blame her. My school is predominantly white, a portion latino and asian and the black population of girls either have permed bone straight hair or unkept weaves down to their butts. So are there certain styles that you would have in mind?

Also how often should I use protective styling?

I really appreciate your advice!

It is definitely a personal choice. I went 6 months before I did box braids then actually cut once I took them down.

But try and start doing perm rod outs or bantu knots. When u feel like its just too much....put in a PS.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

It's kinda like a trial and error and it's different for everyone. I would wear protective hairstyles for max one week, but that is because I was only using a finger coil as my hair. If I would do a protective hairstyle like a box or fishbraid I would just do it every day again.

You should try some things out and see what you like and what not

Comment

When I do protective styles with my own hair, I usually keep them in for a week. I workout profusely so I need to wash/cowash the sweat out.

If I wear extensions, I wear them up to 8 weeks, touching up my edges after a month.
        B/C: April 2, 2011 Last relaxer: October 2010 "Be yourself. Because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss Blog: http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...part-deux.html

Comment

Working...
        X