Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"Are naturals too sensitive?" Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Are naturals too sensitive?"

    AmandaG posted this on her blog and I wanted to know what you thought about it. It's a response to the "wash and go" video.

    http://highercitizen.com/amandag/are...too-sensitive/

    Sorry I'm doing this from my phone so I dont have the direct link. Give me a minute and I'll go on my computer to attach it.

  • #2
    I cant attach the video cause she made it private on her YT page. So you will have to copy and paste the link to watch the video

    Comment


    • #3
      The problem is that the video wasn't funny and she did put down some inviduals who can do wash and gos. Not everyone can do twist and more than wash n gos. Anyways, if you get negative responses it's because the video came off negative. Doesn't mean naturals are sensitive.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it also depends on different personalities, because I just get offensive about hair. (curly hair, straight hair, natural hair) It doesn't matter to me, in my opinion I am the only one who knows my hair, so I know what to do with it, whether it is curly or straight and I just get offended when people tell me how to handle my hair because I obviously know better, it's on my head
        .

        Comment


        • #5
          Good points. I think you can get negative responses out of anything you do though. But I understand what you mean.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kroelenbol View Post
            I think it also depends on different personalities, because I just get offensive about hair. (curly hair, straight hair, natural hair) It doesn't matter to me, in my opinion I am the only one who knows my hair, so I know what to do with it, whether it is curly or straight and I just get offended when people tell me how to handle my hair because I obviously know better, it's on my head
            Yeah of course. You're always going to know better! Lol

            Comment


            • #7
              This is the reply I left on her blog:

              "I hope that this doesn't come across as being rude, but the 'humor' that you said was in your stylists' video about WnGs was not apparent in my opinion. The laughing and joking around came across as demeaning to the viewer and very unprofessional - and after talking to many other naturals about it, that factor played a huge part in how their message came across to others. It's not only what you say, but how you say it.

              Also, I can't speak for the entire natural community, but I think that as a result of me going natural, yes, I am more sensitive to things. After years of imposing the European standard of beauty on myself and having it shoved down my throat and still pushed in my face today via media, friends and family; and then finally going down a path of accepting my hair for all its curly glory, how can I not be? After being told that I had "bad" hair as a little girl and punishing my head because of it, why would I not be more empathetic? Yes, it's "just hair," but hair is a huge part of our lives, whether we want to admit it or not. It can even effect our self-esteem.

              Now, I'm not saying that I get mad about every little thing. But I do get riled about the bigger stuff. That WnG video, IMO, was one of the bigger things.

              Just my 5 cents (accounting for inflation)."

              It looks stupid now that I reread it Ugh. But anywho, this lady is making sure that she gets attention online. And that I will never sub to her. She just rubs me the wrong way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sarang94 View Post
                This is the reply I left on her blog:

                "I hope that this doesn't come across as being rude, but the 'humor' that you said was in your stylists' video about WnGs was not apparent in my opinion. The laughing and joking around came across as demeaning to the viewer and very unprofessional - and after talking to many other naturals about it, that factor played a huge part in how their message came across to others. It's not only what you say, but how you say it.

                Also, I can't speak for the entire natural community, but I think that as a result of me going natural, yes, I am more sensitive to things. After years of imposing the European standard of beauty on myself and having it shoved down my throat and still pushed in my face today via media, friends and family; and then finally going down a path of accepting my hair for all its curly glory, how can I not be? After being told that I had "bad" hair as a little girl and punishing my head because of it, why would I not be more empathetic? Yes, it's "just hair," but hair is a huge part of our lives, whether we want to admit it or not. It can even effect our self-esteem.

                Now, I'm not saying that I get mad about every little thing. But I do get riled about the bigger stuff. That WnG video, IMO, was one of the bigger things.

                Just my 5 cents (accounting for inflation)."

                It looks stupid now that I reread it Ugh. But anywho, this lady is making sure that she gets attention online. And that I will never sub to her. She just rubs me the wrong way.
                There was nothing stupid about what you said .. I agree with everything you said 100% .. I had a regular hairstylist / friend who told me I shouldn't even consider being natural because I "didn't have the right hair for it" and family who give back handed compliments or just straight out insults every time they see my hair .. even though it is just hair a kinkier texture still comes with a lot of negativity and a lot of discouragement for anyone looking to become natural .. with opinions and videos like this coming from practically anyone anywhere a lot of women are missing out on a freeing experience because they don't want to be criticized and made fun of for their hair .. its sad

                Sent from my ADR6425LVW using CurlyNikki App

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm not surprised that she turns off comments and moderates them in her blog. I think that video was more about the stylists being offensive, as opposed to people being sensitive. I left the comment below.

                  Glamfun recently made a song about how WnG doesn’t work on 4C hair, Jouelzy has also addressed the subject and they were well received. The stylists were disrespectful with that video.

                  The natural community is not sensitive, at least not in this example. The stylists’ cackles and sarcasm was offensive even to other hair types. Please do tell them that po.ly.mers. slow. talk. time. are not plastic in haircare/cosmetics. Those ladies were incorrect in their approach and even their information…they should reevaluate those things before coming on video again.
                  Last perm: April 2, 2012 Long-Term Transitioning
                  Wiry texture Coarse strands Normal porosity Normal elasticity High density

                  Rhassoul clay Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
                  Komaza Califia Moisturizing Cream Oils Hydrolyzed protein
                  Yes to Carrots Shampoo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    She's crying for attention, and that's why she's keeping the topic open. Naturals aren't stupid, and most folks know what works for their hair. I won't waste my time posting on her blog - deaf ears can't hear.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not sure which video she is referring to, but after watching the one linked here I don't know what the issue is.. what am I missing? From what I am getting out of this video I think she's trying to encourage women who have may feel that they aren't in the wng club to rethink their position.

                      I've heard it many times over, even on this forum and others when folks say "I can't do a wng". I think there's a lot of folks in the natural hair world who think a wng means it has to look like the infamous 3c hair when it's dry. Not true at all.. A wng looks like whatever your particular hair looks like after it's air dried. The end. It's not supposed to look like anything except what you have on your head.. air dried.

                      Some folks don't like the end result appearance of their wng maybe because it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of what a wng is "supposed to" look like, or maybe because folks in the past have told them their natural hair is "bad" in some way. Being natural should mean self-acceptance no matter what it is you have on your head, although yes, for many it's a journey to get to that point.

                      So hopefully I didn't offend anyone, but that's my 2 cents.
                      http://bellemondehandmade.wordpress.com/ <--blog

                      http://bellemonde.storenvy.com/ <-- shop

                      http://bellemondemade.tumblr.com/

                      http://pinterest.com/bellemondemade/

                      Instagram: bekkapoo



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        @Bekka: She's referring to this video that she and her stylists did: The Natural Truth | Say No To Wash N Go - YouTube

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Idk...i agreed with what they said and understood that they knew this was a controversial topic. I also do agree that naturals are wayyy toooo sensitive.

                          Sent from my SGH-M919 using CurlyNikki App

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BekkaPoo View Post
                            Not sure which video she is referring to, but after watching the one linked here I don't know what the issue is.. what am I missing? From what I am getting out of this video I think she's trying to encourage women who have may feel that they aren't in the wng club to rethink their position.

                            I've heard it many times over, even on this forum and others when folks say "I can't do a wng". I think there's a lot of folks in the natural hair world who think a wng means it has to look like the infamous 3c hair when it's dry. Not true at all.. A wng looks like whatever your particular hair looks like after it's air dried. The end. It's not supposed to look like anything except what you have on your head.. air dried.

                            Some folks don't like the end result appearance of their wng maybe because it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of what a wng is "supposed to" look like, or maybe because folks in the past have told them their natural hair is "bad" in some way. Being natural should mean self-acceptance no matter what it is you have on your head, although yes, for many it's a journey to get to that point.

                            So hopefully I didn't offend anyone, but that's my 2 cents.
                            ALL of THIS!!!!!!!! <~~~ can someone sticky this??????????? Please!!!!!!!

                            where is the hands clapping gif?????
                            Instagram - lovinglife0078

                            Find me blogging

                            Worry about your character and not your reputation, because your character is who you are and your reputation is just what people think about you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BekkaPoo View Post

                              I've heard it many times over, even on this forum and others when folks say "I can't do a wng". I think there's a lot of folks in the natural hair world who think a wng means it has to look like the infamous 3c hair when it's dry. Not true at all.. A wng looks like whatever your particular hair looks like after it's air dried. The end. It's not supposed to look like anything except what you have on your head.. air dried.

                              Some folks don't like the end result appearance of their wng maybe because it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of what a wng is "supposed to" look like, or maybe because folks in the past have told them their natural hair is "bad" in some way. Being natural should mean self-acceptance no matter what it is you have on your head, although yes, for many it's a journey to get to that point.

                              So hopefully I didn't offend anyone, but that's my 2 cents.
                              Agreed! Good point as always, Bekka

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X