X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nappy Heads" 😉

Story of the day: I work with 4 other people...2 whites (male & female), 1 Asian male, and a Trinidadian female. My supervisor (the white male) had this thing where he cracks racial jokes and comments every now and again...never know when to take him serious. Anywho, I went to work yesterday with a bantu knot out in a fro...now I was unaware of how windy it would be and I work with 72 children 😐 I went back and forth outside to inside and by midday my hair was doin the absolute most. My supervisor says to me "so do you plan to leave your hair like that or do wanna fix it"? 😏 My response " what's wrong with it"? The asian then jumps in and says "that wind even has my hair lookin nappy" 😡 so me and my black co worker ask "what's nappy?" His response: "you know it's when it's kinda like Ashley's is right now" I just laughed and calmly walked to bathroom, got some water, and pulled it back (making sure to slick the edges down with a little more water) with a band. When I went back the facial expressions were priceless. I informed everyone that the best thing about being "nappy" is I control my own "naps" and water does great things for us "nappy heads" also 😉

Great story! You tell 'em...

Comment

Lol nice...yes us nappy headed ppl have great versatility wit our hair...

Comment

Lol. You're awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyAlise View Post
          Story of the day: I work with 4 other people...2 whites (male & female), 1 Asian male, and a Trinidadian female. My supervisor (the white male) had this thing where he cracks racial jokes and comments every now and again...never know when to take him serious. Anywho, I went to work yesterday with a bantu knot out in a fro...now I was unaware of how windy it would be and I work with 72 children �� I went back and forth outside to inside and by midday my hair was doin the absolute most. My supervisor says to me "so do you plan to leave your hair like that or do wanna fix it"? �� My response " what's wrong with it"? The asian then jumps in and says "that wind even has my hair lookin nappy" �� so me and my black co worker ask "what's nappy?" His response: "you know it's when it's kinda like Ashley's is right now" I just laughed and calmly walked to bathroom, got some water, and pulled it back (making sure to slick the edges down with a little more water) with a band. When I went back the facial expressions were priceless. I informed everyone that the best thing about being "nappy" is I control my own "naps" and water does great things for us "nappy heads" also ��

Wow, I'm so sorry you got put on blast like that. This is so sad. Somebody could've just said your hair is messed up from the wind. They didn't have to comment on texture. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. People need to quit using that "n" word.
          Last edited by RosyCheekedSunrise; 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM.
          BC'ed Feb. 2012.
          Hair type: 4a (O curls). Love trying new products!
          I will conquer my kinky, curly, moisture-sucking coily coils (also known as my natural hair).

Revelation 3:20
          "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me."

Jesus is waiting for all of us. Let Him in. #repentance #true life

Comment

🙌🙌🙌🙌 well done!
            Keep it curly
            Birthday August 2009
            Rebirth December 2010

my tumblr

My YOUTUBE CHANNEL

My Etsy

Comment

U tell em' girl. The funny thing is nappy is not even a real word (well, at least as it is defined here). Nappy is supposed to be a diaper. Even a nap is defined as a hair raised on fabric, typically suede. So even if someone says you have naps, clearly they are misinformed. I wonder when and why these terms derived. It seems like most people today are misusing words and turning them into slang anyways. You can barely understand what they are saying.

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Thanks everybody I honestly don't pay any attention to the nonsense I'm so use to it...I have so many stories like this it's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by leapfrog01 View Post
                  U tell em' girl. The funny thing is nappy is not even a real word (well, at least as it is defined here). Nappy is supposed to be a diaper. Even a nap is defined as a hair raised on fabric, typically suede. So even if someone says you have naps, clearly they are misinformed. I wonder when and why these terms derived. It seems like most people today are misusing words and turning them into slang anyways. You can barely understand what they are saying.

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlyNikki App
                  Wow I had no idea about the definition thanks for informing me

Comment

Originally posted by RosyCheekedSunrise View Post
                    Wow, I'm so sorry you got put on blast like that. This is so sad. Somebody could've just said your hair is messed up from the wind. They didn't have to comment on texture. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. People need to quite using that "n" word.
                    Aww thanks but I don't mind...I'm too confident to even care lol

Comment

Luv it!!! Lol!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlyNikki App
                      I'm His BantuBoo

Comment

I love your attitude! You did the right thing the way you handled it. Very classy!

** Find me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube @ DiscoveringNatural
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transitioned for 1 year and 17 days (11/2011 - 12/2012)
                        Big Chopped on 11/17/2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My full regimen: http://discoveringnatural.blogspot.com/p/my-hair-regimen.html

Blog: http://discoveringnatural.com

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/DiscoveringNatural

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DiscoveringNatural

Follow me on Twitter @ DiscoveringNatural

and on Instagram: http://instagram.com/DiscoveringNatural

Comment

Thanks ladies!!

Comment

I love your response!! I was wondering could his comments classify as on the job racism? If so he should be reported asap.
                            Have a fabulous week,
                            Woman to Another.com
                            Where women meet!

Comment

Originally posted by Woman to Another View Post
                              I love your response!! I was wondering could his comments classify as on the job racism? If so he should be reported asap.
                              It definitely falls into a sensitivity issue in the workplace (of course depending on the employer etc).

Honestly I was more perturbed by reading the topic. Personally, I admit that I have a hard time embracing the word "nappy," as it has been used since I can remember as a derogatory type term. Meaning, "go sit yo little nappy head down!" Of course in recent years, the word "whore" has been added to it from some people so I don't normally use the word but being natural has taken some of the sting out of the word as I understand my hair more.
                              Last relaxer May 2011 BC'ed April 13, 2012
                              Simba's Details:
                              3C/4a Corkscrew/Fractal/Zigzag Curls
                              Density: High Density (Me) Tot: (Medium Density)
                              Width: Medium (Me) Tot: (Medium to Fine)
                              Porosity: Low Porosity (Me) Tot: (High Porosity)

Simba's Staples: Donna Marie, Camille Rose, GDLI, Organicals, Design Essentials (Organic Cleanse, Twist Lotion, Creme Gel, Mousse), Curls, Bee Mine, Koils By Nature Coco Aloe Deep, Chagrin Valley--Henna Bar and Det. Tea Rinse

Comment

Working...
                              X