X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to seal in moisture!

Hey ladies. im just wondering how to seal in moisture in my hair. im a newly BC and i spritz about 2-3 times a day cuz i have 4b hair and it doesnt stay moisturized. now my question is how do i seal the moisture ?

Seal with a butter or oil. I seal with my shea butter mix, but some people use grapeseed, castor oil, olive oil etc. there are also some ladies here who seal with a silicone serum but I personally don't do that.

Comment

I have100% shea will that work?

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaFequiere View Post
        I have100% shea will that work?
        I think some people use it straight but I personally prefer to mix it so its less heavy on my hair, do you have any oils? You can try mixing it with one other oil to make it easier to apply.

Or just try it with the Shea butter alone, you never know it could be alright!

Comment

Just make sure you spritz with water first before you apply the Shea butter

Comment

Why do u have to put water on ur hair before the shea butter? I didn't. I cowashed, deep conditioned, then apllied my oils and put on my Cantu leave in shea butter and omg my hair is sooooo moisturized!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Try using the LOC method, it's the only thing that keeps my hair moisturized. I use my leave in conditioner as my liquid (L), grapeseed oil for my oil (O), and reve hair and body butter as my cream (C). As someone already mentioned just make sure you always apply a liquid first as that is the moisture you are sealing in. Oils and butter don't moisturize alone.
              ~BC May 7, 2011...truly loving my hair*~

Comment

Originally posted by TransitioningMixedBeauty View Post
                Why do u have to put water on ur hair before the shea butter? I didn't. I cowashed, deep conditioned, then apllied my oils and put on my Cantu leave in shea butter and omg my hair is sooooo moisturized!

The water is the moisture you are sealing in. Applying oils and butters alone won't moisturize your hair. If your hair was wet when you applied your products then you don't need to spritz your hair but you should if you are working on dry hair.
                ~BC May 7, 2011...truly loving my hair*~

Comment

Originally posted by TransitioningMixedBeauty View Post

Because if you apply Shea butter to dry hair you're not sealing in anything. You said you cowashed so therefore your hair was wet and when you applied your sealant you were able to seal in the the moisture 😊
                  I only recommended spritzing the hair first if this is part of your daily moisturising and sealing routine - on a wash day you wouldn't have to spritz the hair first.

Comment

Oh ok gotcha. Yea I get that. My hair is always wet when I do it.

Comment

i made my own spritz in it i have

-HealthySexyHair leave in conditioner
                      -Water
                      -Vitamin E oil
                      -Glycerin
                      -Biotin

i spritz that on my hair about 2-3 times daily cuz my hair does NOT hold moisture D:
                      so at night i usually spritz and then use the 100 % shea butter on the hair not scalp.
                      my hair still doesnt keep moisture D: what to doooooo ?

Comment

i made my own spritz in it i have

-HealthySexyHair leave in conditioner
                        -Water
                        -Vitamin E oil
                        -Glycerin
                        -Biotin

i spritz that on my hair about 2-3 times daily cuz my hair does NOT hold moisture D:
                        so at night i usually spritz and then use the 100 % shea butter on the hair not scalp.
                        my hair still doesnt keep moisture D: what to doooooo ?
                        When you say your hair doesn't keep moisture can you describe how it feels? hair doesn't feel wet it it just feels
                        Soft and supple. If your hair feels hard it might be the ingredients in you spritz.
                        Try eliminating one of those products and test how the spritz works or you.

Also it might be that Shea butter just doesn't work for your hair, a lot of ladies on here experience that, for my hair its perfect but it has to be mixed with other oils, its just too waxy and heavy on its own. Try sealing with an oil and see how your hair fairs.

There's a sealing method called the LOC method, Liquid, Oil,Cream which is very popular and helps keep the hair moisturised. You spritz with your liquid of choice, seal with an oil and then seal that oil with a butter or cream - it provides a double barrier for the moisture.

Also the chances are your hair won't keep moisturised for days on end. I have to moisturise and seal my hair everyday, or sometimes I moisturise everyday and reapply my Shea every other day.

And especially if you're newly Bc'd your hair is like a desert right now, craving
                        moisture! try dc'ing twice a week to bump up your moisture levels.

Comment

I definitely get what you mean. When I say my hair doesn't keep in moisture I mean that it doesn't feel nourished. It doesn't feel heavy or hard it's just that feeling when you know your hair craves the moisture. And also I noticed that I'm getting dandruff. Idk how to take care of the scalp itself.right now on my school I started using dax pomade. I'm waiting to see if it worked. I did notice my shall stopped itching.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I definitely get what you mean. When I say my hair doesn't keep in moisture I mean that it doesn't feel nourished. It doesn't feel heavy or hard it's just that feeling when you know your hair craves the moisture. And also I noticed that I'm getting dandruff. Idk how to take care of the scalp itself.right now on my school I started using dax pomade. I'm waiting to see if it worked. I did notice my shall stopped itching.

It could also just be that your scalp is dry, try massaging it at night with a small amount of oil+tea tree oil, that really helped me when I bc'd. Try a really moisturising dc twice a week. I use homemade products for mine so I can't really suggest any brands to buy. If you do want to try a homemade one the recipes I rotate are:

Rhassoul clay and green tea

Yogurt olive oil apple cider vinegar

Honey olive oil, whatever conditioner I have at home ( this a is a really simple and moisturising one)

Comment

Ik how to do protein treatments would you mind giving me a more accurate recipe as in what amount to use and where I could get some of that? Also I was thinking of doing warm oil treatments maybe with tea tree. Any suggestions on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X