Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Rid of Breakage?

Hi ladies!

I've been natural for about 2 years and 5 months, with constant box braids as a protective style. One of my new years resolutions for 2013 was to wear my hair out natural more often, so for the next month at least, I plan on wearing my hair out- working with it and getting to know it.

My hair is in an around medium length, probably reaching to about shoulder length when straightened. I have a mix of 3c, 4a and 4b curls. Recently I have been noticing a LOT of breakage with my ends. After I finish combing or brushing my hair, it's not so much the "clumps" in my brush or comb, but the amount of small pieces of hair on the bathroom counter and on the floor. It seems as though my ends are breaking and I have no clue what to do!

I did a henna treatment about a week and a half ago, following up with a deep condition of 2hours. My hair overall felt really nice, but my ends seemed to carry out as dry. I used shea butter, coconut oil, tea tree oil and water. I'm not sure what to do anymore! for a list of the products I use, please check out this link: http://ebonicurls.blogspot.ca/p/my-hair-regimen.html

please help me !

Thanks in Advance,
    Eboni

Hair snapping in short pieces is a moisture/protein balance issue. Do you have very thin hair? Henna behaves as a protein treatment...if you're following up with a DC I'd choose one without protein, as you already took care of that part with the henna. I looked briefly at the ingredients in your products, all of the ones that showed ingredients have at least one form of protein. Unless your hair is really thin (or damaged maybe) I would try to cut it back a bit. Maybe choose a DC without protein and see if your ends can retain moisture better without the heavy keratin dose.
    Last perm: April 2, 2012 Long-Term Transitioning
    Wiry texture Coarse strands Normal porosity Normal elasticity High density

Rhassoul clay Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Komaza Califia Moisturizing Cream Oils Hydrolyzed protein
    Yes to Carrots Shampoo

Comment

Thank you Tania! My hair isn't thin at all, so I think it's best I go with not using so much protein. Which products do you recommend? Could it also be that the pH balance of my hair is too low?

Comment

OH noooooo you're in Canada too! I was going to suggest some protein-free, good drugstore conditioners available in the states (yet not here it seems) and you're in my same boat! I find that I'm stuck using pricey products because I just can't find any good drugstore conditioners here.

I'm still learning my head (transitioning) but I'm really liking Jessicurl Deep Conditioner and Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner. I've been dying to try VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea Therapy Revitalizing Conditioner and VO5 Tangerine Tickle Conditioner, but I can't find them. They're very cheap and found easily in drugstores in the states. Maybe you'll luck out!

The problem could be your pH balance, that could cause breakage (also from an imbalance of protein/moisture) indeed...but why would it be too low? Hair products in general are designed to help normalize it...I believe that shampoos are a bit more acidic than conditioner and that's intentional, to lower the pH and seal at the end. I'd say first try using less protein, and if that doesn't work (do give it a few weeks) consider using products from the same line, as that would of course assure proper pH balance. Still remember, less protein if your strands aren't that fine.

Yes to Carrots Shampoo

Comment

Alrighty- thank you SO much for the help! UGH I know being in Canada can suck- so much unnecessary money spent! But I have V05 around- I just have to remember where I saw it! I'll try my best to get a hold on some of these products to see how they deal with me hair. Hopefully this is the end of the road for my relationship with breakage!

Thanks so much

Comment

Do read the ingredients on the VO5 before purchasing, they are often different in Canada!

Check out this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...o5-canada.html

GL!

Yes to Carrots Shampoo

Comment

alrighty will do- thanks!

Another quick questions....what were the protein ingredients you noticed in the products on my blog? Just so I know to potentially avoid them in future purchases.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X