Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henna AND Bentonite Clay Mix Discovery / Rant

Hey Ladies!

So I was taking a break from studying and went to look at my hairs in the mirror....and saw some silvers that had grown in since my last semi-permanent dye job. So I decided to henna. However, as dry as my hair is (with the cold weather and my dye job) I wanted to make sure my hair didn't completely snap off of my head. Sooooo.... I mixed my Jamila Henna, Bentonite Clay, honey, olive oil, warm water, a little AVJ, and some peppermint oil together, put it on my hair, and wrapped my hair in a plastic bag and let it marinate for about 30 minutes or so.

When I washed it out (plain water first, and which was VERY easy) my grays were a light sparkly red, and my hair was SOFT. OOOOH! So then I conditioned with AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, left that on with my heat cap for about 20 min, then let the conditioner cool down before rinsing with cool water.

My hair is butta......first time in a looooong time it's felt like this! I then styled with homemade flaxseed gel (another post, another story) and was truly feeling myself.

Now to the point of this post: Has anyone else ever done this? If so, what were the long term effects? Right now my hair is still on my head so I can't complain! I'm thinking the clay balances the drying properties of the henna and gave me soft, lightly colored hair.....What do ya'll think? I'll let you know if I experience any shedding / breakage / mass chaos on my head......

Sounds interesting. I henna every month and I cleanse my hair with a bentonite clay wash about twice a month, but I've never done them together. Keep us postd.

Comment

Originally posted by Niqui36 View Post
      Sounds interesting. I henna every month and I cleanse my hair with a bentonite clay wash about twice a month, but I've never done them together. Keep us postd.
      I sure will. I've done them seperately, but never together until now. The mixture came out smoother too (even though I use the same ingredients with either my henna or clay)....I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I finally found a way to get moisturized hair with henna, without damaging my hair....

Comment

I've been going both separately on a monthly basis for one year and not ONCE did it cross my mind to combine the two. I will def try this with a small amount of rhassoul clay.

Comment

I did a henna/clay mix a while ago and had good results. I was actually being lazy and hoping for the best. lol. I wanted to stretch out my henna. I might have to revisit. I have some benonite (sp) clay. Its a mess to mix though, so I use my stick blender to mix it in after the henna reaches color release. Did you put the clay in before or after color release?
          Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
          Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
          Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
          Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
          Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinkycoilly View Post
            I've been going both separately on a monthly basis for one year and not ONCE did it cross my mind to combine the two. I will def try this with a small amount of rhassoul clay.
            LOL I'm like you. It was literally 3 days ago when I was looking at both of them in my hair basket and I thought to myself....what's the worse that could happen? :P Let me know how it works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeaj View Post
              I did a henna/clay mix a while ago and had good results. I was actually being lazy and hoping for the best. lol. I wanted to stretch out my henna. I might have to revisit. I have some benonite (sp) clay. Its a mess to mix though, so I use my stick blender to mix it in after the henna reaches color release. Did you put the clay in before or after color release?
              OOOOH! So your hair didn't fall out! That's great news lol. Now, I didn't have a problem mixing my ingredients together. I actually used a little plastic spoon, and didn't have any lumps or whatnot. I instantly mixed everything together and let it sit for 10 min:

1/2 c. henna
              1/2 c. bentonite clay
              1/4 c. creamed honey
              1/4 c. olive oil
              drops of peppermint oil
              3 tbsp of AVJ
              Warm water to mix into a smooth consistency

I also threw in about a tsp. of coconut butter (not oil, didn't have any) to assist with the smell.....I didn't mix anything seperately, just threw it all together in a bowl and started mixing. When I rinsed out, my grays were sparkly red; I'm starting to wonder if I even really need to let my henna sit out for 50-11 days for a dye release.....

Comment

@Fuzzypuff, That is the biggest turn off with jamila, the 12 dye release and 6-12hr stewing time on hair but sitting for ten min and the greys were colored. I'm amazed and psyched to use the two powders together. Yay!
                SN I checked your blog earlier and I didn't see your review. I'll follow this thread and your blog for updates. My next henna is on Dec 15. Can't wait👏

Comment

Originally posted by Kinkycoilly View Post
                  @Fuzzypuff, That is the biggest turn off with jamila, the 12 dye release and 6-12hr stewing time on hair but sitting for ten min and the greys were colored. I'm amazed and psyched to use the two powders together. Yay!
                  SN I checked your blog earlier and I didn't see your review. I'll follow this thread and your blog for updates. My next henna is on Dec 15. Can't wait��
                  Girl, you aint never lied. By the time the henna's marinated, I'm over it and ready to move on. But this seemed to have worked. Perhaps the plastic bag on the head helped release some color in the henna? I dunno, but whatever, it worked, and in less time....SCORE!!!!! I am going to update my blog with pictures, right now I'm alternating between typing a paper that's due at 545 pm today and uploading pictures onto my computer....I'll probably have a post with pics up by tomorrow afternoon though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzypuff View Post
                    OOOOH! When I rinsed out, my grays were sparkly red; I'm starting to wonder if I even really need to let my henna sit out for 50-11 days for a dye release.....
                    My mom has about 50 percent gray coverage in her hair and she hennas about every 2 weeks. We buy our henna from an indian store, I believe she uses dulhan. Anyways, she NEVER allows it to sit. She mixes with water and applies to her hair. She lets it sit on her hair 2-3 hours and she rinses it out. I will allow my henna to sit, I use Dulhan, for 2 -3 hours and then apply. And then allow to sit on my hair for 2-3 hours and then rinse out. We both get color payoff.

Comment

Originally posted by doe_iz View Post
                      My mom has about 50 percent gray coverage in her hair and she hennas about every 2 weeks. We buy our henna from an indian store, I believe she uses dulhan. Anyways, she NEVER allows it to sit. She mixes with water and applies to her hair. She lets it sit on her hair 2-3 hours and she rinses it out. I will allow my henna to sit, I use Dulhan, for 2 -3 hours and then apply. And then allow to sit on my hair for 2-3 hours and then rinse out. We both get color payoff.

Yeah, I do this too. The new henna I got from Mehandi has a long dye release wait. I jusst mix it up either the night before I henna or early in the morning so I can do it later in the evening. I'll be hennaing tomorrow in the morning, so I'll mix it tonight before bed and it'll be ready in the morning.
                      Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
                      Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
                      Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
                      Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
                      Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X