Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Big afros in the 60's sans protective styling -- how did they do it? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big afros in the 60's sans protective styling -- how did they do it?

I need to talk it out a bit.

In my search for an awesome protective style I cant help but to feel like they suck.. Yes it is true that I want long hair, however, I'm a tad bitter that i need to use protective styling to get the best results. Am i doing something wrong when i wear a rod set or a twist out? I try not to manipulate etc and i know all of the "rules" but alas i know my fate -- i need to braid/twist/weave it up..

So this got me thinking. How did everyone have the hugest afro in the 60/70's with limited use of protective styling and horrid products (to our current day natural standards). Just so we are clear im talking about the angela davis afro and not the ms. jessies type afro (not that it matters but i need to give some perspective.) I know that my own mother and aunts had massive afros and long natural hair but i cant seem to mirror their results. They achieved these results with the use of shampoo, mineral and petroleum oil laden products, bad presses, no vitamins or growth aids and most importantly no protective styling. How did they do it? With the availability of products and access to hair care information you would think that it would be easier for us to achieve these results but to me it seems like naturals today are working harder to get the same results our moms achieved. What gives?!
    Last edited by ivreal; 11-04-2012, 07:12 AM.

Well some of them wore wigs lol. A lot of people did have long hair but even more people wore wigs to fit in with the style. I was talking to my grandma about that the other day lol. And I can't imagine all the hair they lost by picking it out all the time! Lol but you don't have to do protective styles, you can just keep your hair stretched and well moisturized. Do what is best for your hair. If you can retain length without protective styling then do just that! But a lot of people feel as though they can't retain length if the don't protect they're hair

Comment

My Mom, who is natural, rocked her fro in the 70s. It was huge! When I ask her how she maintained it she says "You want to know how I took care of my hair 40 years ago?"

While our hair may be new to us, natural hair is not new. We want to try everything newer and better, only for some of us to realize that the old standards work.
      Wen...nothing else!

Comment

My Dad was the one with the huge afro. My mom would braid it up for him at night and in the morning he would pick it out. They just used grease on his scalp and old-school moisturizers on his hair. Nothing fancy like we use today.
        Rocking this head of curls since June 3, 1982!

Yeah, I have GOOD HAIR, and SO DO YOU!

Comment

60's fro

So glad you brought this up because I was thinking about it the other day. I was a child of the 60's. I started wearing a short fro around 1969 and didn't know what an afro pic was - I used a regular eating fork. A few years later I learned about and got a cake cutter. I had a big, bad afro that I combed and braided every night and picked out in the morning--I was the envy of many - LOL. I used water and grease and regular shampoo as did my friends for about 10 years before being sucked in by the creamy crack and getting stuck there for the next 30 years. I am slowly going back to my practices of the 60's and less is more for me. My hair is 40 years older, but it's thriving.

Comment

Originally posted by Eezem View Post
            So glad you brought this up because I was thinking about it the other day. I was a child of the 60's. I started wearing a short fro around 1969 and didn't know what an afro pic was - I used a regular eating fork. A few years later I learned about and got a cake cutter. I had a big, bad afro that I combed and braided every night and picked out in the morning--I was the envy of many - LOL. I used water and grease and regular shampoo as did my friends for about 10 years before being sucked in by the creamy crack and getting stuck there for the next 30 years. I am slowly going back to my practices of the 60's and less is more for me. My hair is 40 years older, but it's thriving.
            Lol, that totally reminded me of The Little Mermaid scene.

@ OP: The need for protective styling will vary from person to person just like anything else. Some people can still retain length without doing it. Some people can simply use grease and water and for others their hair doesn't respond well to it. I'm an advocate of keeping things simple regardless of whether you're using natural products or synthetic products. Bottom line is do what works for you.
            sigpic

Comment

I remember my mom braiding my dad's hair after he washed it. She would put olive oil in his hair. He had to keep is fro well groomed for work but it was thick healthy and shiny. As far as the ps goes, some of the youtubers I follow with the longest healthiest hair wear their hair out but keep it moisturized.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using CurlyNikki App
              Last edited by beautybiz; 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM.
              I want my hair to look good, feel good, and grow. The best combinations of science and nature should make that happen right.

Comment

My mom and aunts said they braided theirs or used sponge rollers every night. They also used afro sheen and grease on it.

Comment

Working...
                X