Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Protective Styles" for thinner 4a/4b hair

Hi Everyone!
    I've been natural for nearly 15 months now and my hair is growing well! the only problem is protective styles, I do have my staples [I loooove Naptural85's channel and I've been rocking her scarf styles and curly fro all summer!] but everytime I try kinky twists or similar styles, I just look like I have a bunch of spaghetti hanging off my head. I was just wondering if anyone has any handy styles or youtubers I can watch for inspiration?

I have the same problem! Here are a couple of pointers I've picked up along the way (with pics)

When i do twists as a protective style, i either pin them up out rock a beanie

I prefer roll tuck and pin styles and other styles that don't require twists

U can't really tell how thick/ thin your hair is with flat twists and French braids

Sent from my LG-P999 using CurlyNikki App
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by monshai629 View Post
      I have the same problem! Here are a couple of pointers I've picked up along the way (with pics)

U can't really tell how thick/ thin your hair is with flat twists and French braids

Ah thanks so much your styles look gorgeous! yeah i think i might try some pin styles- luckily its summer, and my hair loves the heat so i've also been rocking more braidouts and naptural85's curly fro look

Comment

I agree with everything that was said. I PS by pinning my hair up or bunning it. I make a small roll out of some of the marley hair if I need to give it fullness.

I have also found that using a volumizing product like Shea Moisture growth thickening milk will give me more volume for my bun.
        sigpic
        Big Chop: 8/13/2010, Signature Style: Twist Out, Goal: APL curlsStaples:
        D.C. - DB Deep Condish Mask & AO GBP Condish
        Poo - Afroveda Carrot Bar, Leave-In - Oyin Honey Hemp & Giovanni Direct
        Oil - Jojoba, Detangler/Refresher - DB Herbal Leave-In Spritz
        Stylers - Original Moxie Hair Bling, Original Moxie Just Gel, Oyin Burnt Sugar, SM Thickening Growth Milk, Afroveda Curl Define

Phena is fine and thin in some places and of medium density in others. 4a, 4b & 3c, high porosity.

Comment

Very nice. Love the French braids.
          sigpic
          Big Chop: 8/13/2010, Signature Style: Twist Out, Goal: APL curlsStaples:
          D.C. - DB Deep Condish Mask & AO GBP Condish
          Poo - Afroveda Carrot Bar, Leave-In - Oyin Honey Hemp & Giovanni Direct
          Oil - Jojoba, Detangler/Refresher - DB Herbal Leave-In Spritz
          Stylers - Original Moxie Hair Bling, Original Moxie Just Gel, Oyin Burnt Sugar, SM Thickening Growth Milk, Afroveda Curl Define

Phena is fine and thin in some places and of medium density in others. 4a, 4b & 3c, high porosity.

Comment

Thank u ladies! I forgot to mention wigs and weaves (again pics included). Hairlikebutta, what other PS are u feeling?

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice styles

http://discoveringnatural.blogspot.com

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlyNikki App
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transitioned for 1 year and 17 days (11/2011 - 12/2012)
              Big Chopped on 11/17/2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              My full regimen: http://discoveringnatural.blogspot.com/p/my-hair-regimen.html

Blog: http://discoveringnatural.com

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/DiscoveringNatural

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DiscoveringNatural

Follow me on Twitter @ DiscoveringNatural

and on Instagram: http://instagram.com/DiscoveringNatural

Comment

Thank u ladies! I forgot to mention wigs and weaves (again pics included). Hairlikebutta, what other PS are u feeling?

I'm not sure about weaves- sounds crazy but i hate things [especially hair being attached[ to my head for long periods of time, and i've been slightly put off wigs rcently after seing some poor womans being blwon off by the strong london winds!

I wish my hair was longer cause then i'd have more choice..! i really want to try the goddess braid [ think thats what its called?] kinda like this
                Natural Belle: The Goddess Braid: Tracee Ellis Ross
                its so cute + on trend and i don't think you necessarily need long hair to do it!

Comment

I was in your position the other day. I did mini twists but they looked so scalpy and bad. I even tried pinning them up. So what I decided to do was slick my hair up into a bun. Then used some 2 dollar jumbo braid hair from the BSS and twisted it and connected it to a ponytail holder. Then connected that to my little bun then twisted it around and made a really cute chic chignon/bun! Loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by ButtonsMommy View Post
                    I was in your position the other day. I did mini twists but they looked so scalpy and bad. I even tried pinning them up. So what I decided to do was slick my hair up into a bun. Then used some 2 dollar jumbo braid hair from the BSS and twisted it and connected it to a ponytail holder. Then connected that to my little bun then twisted it around and made a really cute chic chignon/bun! Loved it!
                    I have a Marley hair bun now!

Comment

Working...
                    X