X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil vs Water

I'm having trouble finding products that keep my hair moisturized. Water based products only work for a few hours and I can't tell if oils are working or are just sitting on my hair. I don't notice a difference and I don't remember ever having moisturized hair. My stylist said my hair loves shea butter and water based products will dry it out... Does anyone have any comments or tips that will help me to figure out what type of moisturizer is better for my hair and if so, do you have any recommendations?

The only thing that moisturizes hair is water. Oil seal in the moisture, so you need both working in combination not one used on its by itself. Try using the LOC method(check out the link below). Your liquid can be water, then apply a little shea butter, and cream of your choice. Or look for a liquid leave-in-conditioner, follow by a shea butter product and a cream.
    LOC (Liquid Oil Cream) Method is a method of moisturizing natural hair in 3 simple steps. And keeps it moisturized in between washes without re-moisturizing or applying more product.
    come celebrate
    with me that everyday
    something has tried to kill me
    and has failed
    ~Lucille Clifton

Comment

Thanks for replying.
      I've tried the LOC Method and the LCO and the LOCO. Unfortunately none of those seem to work for me.
      I will try the ingredients you suggested, hopefully it works!

Comment

Based on what PoeticCurls said I would recommend what I use - Pro Naturals. The shampoo & conditioner both has argan oil in them and so does the hair mask and the argan oil leave in treatment is the clincher, it is put on wet hair and left on sealing in the moisture but at the same time protecting hair against heat damage. It is a hair repair system and I use it for one week in every six but I cheat and use the argan oil leave in treatment after every shampoo (usually every 3 days). My current choice of shampoo & conditioner for the 5 weeks is Australian Tea Tree but you can use whatever you prefer.

Comment

Girl, get a silicone serum!

Silicones are synthetic oils, so you use them the same way you do oils.

The benefits:

Moisture retention
          Sheen
          Minimal SSKs
          No frizz

Any shampoo, sulfate or non-sulfate, will remove them from your hair.

My favorites this week are Mane and Tale Anti-Frizz and Shine; Cantu Super Shine and Silk; and John Frieda Frizz Ease.
          Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Honny Brown and her silicone serums- lol- I am having the same issue- I am going to trying the silicone serum- I use my argan Oil moisture cream and Only one Argan Curl cream- I will try the serum to seal it in

Comment

So I should look for products with oil in them (shampoos, etc) and introduce a silicone serum? Are there any drawbacks to either of these changes?

Comment

With serums, while you will get the benefit of moisture retention as well as the other benefits Honny Brown mentioned, is it correct to say that the serum will only seal in the moisture that is already in the hair and serve as a barrier for additional moisture to get in, which helps with minimizing frizz. I know on those rainy mornings when I don't want my hair to get too out of control, I apply a serum (the one by Cantu or CHI Deep Brilliance Reflect) and go about my business. I never really gave it much thought as it pertained to getting additional moisture into my hair in the days that followed leading up to wash day.

Comment

gram, where have you been hiding? Welcome back!!!!!

Curlgirl, I rarely use oils/oil products now since I use silicones.

I add a few drops to my leave-in and spread both through wet hair.
                  Wen...nothing else!

Comment

I been around Honny, cut my hair off after growing it out from August to February. Now I am back to growing it out. The forums are dry these days girl

Comment

gram, why did you cut it? You must have had some good length to work with.

I don't try anymore. I'm at my barber every 3-4 months.
                      Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Girl, I struggle with liking my texture as it grows- But since I now realize that is the reason versus just liking short hair- I am determined to grow it and embrace what God gave me. So no more cutting

Comment

My hair is sometimes super dry, and thirsty. While going in between washes and detangling sessions. It also doesn't help that my hair is a off brown color, and Even when moisturized sometimes still looks dry Lmao. I tend to protective style as my go to. So I retain a lot more moisture because my hair isn't out in the elements. My opinion try a water/aloe Vera juice combo, w. Heavy Conditioner/leave in (like Aussie moist, mane-n-tail, kinky curly knot today), and oil or butter. Sometimes both. My hair is kinda weird I hope this helps. Good luck curlfriend Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlyNikki App

Comment

The LCO method works well for me. My hair loves my holy grail oil combo: (EVOO, grapeseed, castor, glycerin) on top of any leave in. Just water based leave ins by themselves don't do anything for me. Shea butter also works very well for me. But sometimes, it's too heavy to use during the summer. lol
                            Because beauty without brains is futile.
                            www.youtube.com/curlsofinnocence
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n97933[/ATTACH]

Comment

when i noticed my hair was dry i went for the moisture and nothing seemed to help. then i came upon some research that said i should try a protein treatment and i finally saw improvement. I have fine hair though, and us fine hair ladies need more protien.

Comment

Working...
                              X