X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture of my hair post wash and air dry

Can someone who's tender-headed go natural and enjoy it?
    ^^the actual title i intended, can't seem to change what is shown -.-

Either my hair is really thick or more likely I'm tender-headed. I've been transitioning for a year now and I believe I have 4C curls (lol not sure). Boy are they tough to go through! I can't even comb through my hair, I've been finger detangling all this time. Makes me wonder if I detangle properly, because I've seen fully natural girls part their hair like its nothing and to think that I only have 3 inches of growth and I feel pain. Perhaps the reason for my tender-headed-ness is the fact that my hair is in box braids most of the time and the lack of manipulation makes me extra sensitive - I really do not know.

Can someone please help me? I have so many questions I would love answered/discussed:
    1) How do you deal with super tight curls or 4C hair?
    2) Is it OK to only finger detangle?
    3) How to do you properly detangle with a comb and minimal pain/breakage?
    4) How do I make myself not so tender headed?
    5) Would it hurt less if I cut of my ends?
    6) Whenever I'm getting my hair braided and the stylist is partitioning my hair I'm always on the brink of tears. How do you prep your hair for box braids?
    7) Do box braids make your scalp more sensitive?
    8) I'm a college student and want to transition for another 6 months if possible. Is it OK to transition with box braids (2-4 months at time) and leave my hair out for 1-2weeks between braids?

Anything you say would be truly appreciated
    Picture of my hair post wash and air dry
    Last edited by lisalarbi; 08-25-2014, 10:04 PM.

Okay going to give my opinion, but i dont have 4c hair but i take care of my sisters hair and she does....best tip keep hair hydrated...she is transitioning and has been for about 2yrs her style of choice ate weaves she leave her out about a day or 2 and back in a weave she doesnt like getting her hair combed so we've found a way that works when removing weave we wash finger detangle them blowdry before putting in the weave which keeos it from hurting.... for you if you don't mind you could blow out before braiding to minimize the pain before braiding

Comment

I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain during your transition. I can offer a possible explanation, and possible solution. Super tight curls 4c hair requires a lot of patience to deal w. It is the most sensitive of all the hair types. (I'm 4a 4b).. water, and conditioner should be your best friends while transitioning, although it makes it tough applying that, and box braiding. It should never ever hurt while someone/anyone/ or you... are parting, detangling, or styling your hair. This is something that I had to learn along my journey. Any who you could definitely be experiencing some tender spots on your head, just because it actually takes awhile for your head, scalp to heal from relaxing. Mine was more of a constant, constant itch that drove me insane. Everyone is completely different from the next person. If your hair stylist is hurting you, your hair cannot and probably will not benefit, and grow to its full potential. 2-4 months is a long time to leave any sort of weave/extension in your hair (you shed about 100 strands of hair a day), I would say leave in 1 month Maybe 2 if it still looks good, but any longer and you risk breakage, detangle w wide tooth comb or modified Denman, with your hair always damp from water, and conditioner. Never dry detangle your hair. If you do, do it very very very carefully. It would probably make it easier to deal with one texture instead of two, but than again these are my opinions, and you know the saying. They are much like butts everyone has one. good luck hun.

Comment

If you YouTube Reniece Hair TV, she has advice on 4c hair care in her hair showcase video.

Comment

I am actually really tender headed lol, finishing my last year of college (and a 2 year transition) I can pretty much relate to you. I don't have 4c hair but I do have a random patch of undefined 4b, which pretty much looks and behaves like stretched 4c. I also treat my boyfriends 4c hair when he's around, so I'll try to help based off my experience.

1 and 2: Finger detangling will be your best bet. I would avoid combs and brushes all together unless completely necessary if I were you. Be as gentle as you can stand it with your hair, I know it gets annoying when it knots and shrinks, but trust me. Frustration almost always leads to breakage.

3.Use a WIDE tooth comb only, if you can find a seamless or wooden comb anywhere, try your best to invest in it. There's still a huge debate going on whether it's best to detangle your hair wet or dry, most professionals agree it's better for your hair when you do it dry. I personally do mine under running water, or saturated with coconut oil or anything that gives my hair slip. This is one of those things that has a lot of trial and error involved, what works best for me won't necessarily work well for you.

4.Just be gentle, I don't think tender headedness goes away, and if it does tell me when you find out how lol. Try to avoid tight hair styles, and snagging at your hair with combs and brushes when detangling. Try holding down your hair at or near the roots as you work on the more tender areas to keep it from being jerked around too much.

5. It may make things less complicated being a uniform texture, but if you have a sensitive scalp it will probably continue being sensitive after you Big Chop.

6. Make sure your hair is clean and free of tangles before going to get box braids. In addition to that, Tell your stylist that she is braiding too tight if you're in pain. Don't sit there and take it, if it's too tight you're encouraging hair loss and traction alopecia. I know it's embarrassing and you just wanna let her do her thing, but your hair is at stake here. You should feel mild to no discomfort when getting your hair braided.

7.If they are too tight then yes, they can. Avoid this by being vocal to your stylist.

8. I would not recommend leaving your braids in much longer than 6-8 week stretches. After that, even with good care, you start experiencing build up and immense shedding underneath your braids. I learned to install Havana twists on myself to cut down on going to get my hair re-done every month, It is tempting to leave them in longer, especialy if they're in good shape. But if the extensions are long or too big or small youre only putting more stress on your hair. I give my hair at least 2 weeks rest before installing another set.

Hope this helps
          __________________________________________________ ________
          Last Relaxer: Dec. 2012
          Hair type: Mostly 4b, some 4a and 3c
          Current Length: Apl
          BC Date: Dec. 2014- Apr. 2015

Comment

Working...
          X