Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"What works for me, may not work for you" What does that really mean? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "What works for me, may not work for you" What does that really mean?

    When we start our Natural Hair Journey, this is a catch phrase you will hear ALOT!

    I've been natural for 2 years now and I wondered why a product would work well for so many curlies but not work for other curlies. Yes, hair texture (fine, medium, coarse), hair porosity, and hair density (fine, medium, thick) is the main reason but there is another reason we don't think about or take into account.

    Personal preference

    Most times when we ask about how someone liked a product, we are looking for a "Loved it" or "Hated it" answer without asking for a more in depth review of the product.

    Here are some questions you should ask yourself before purchasing a product:

    What does the product promise?
    What is your expectation of the product?
    How do you plan to use the product? (leave in, moisturizer, styler)
    Do you plan to use the product as it was intended? (leave in, rinse out)
    In what part of your regimen do you plan to use the product? (wet hair, dry hair, refresher)
    What style will you try to achieve with the product? (wash n go, twistout, braidout)

    These are questions you could ask other curlies too who have used the product. Asking these questions may save you money, time and possible frustration on your journey.

    One more point to the already long post.....

    What will be a deal breaker for you with products?

    Example: Some products I use make my hair a little greasy on Day One but I don't mind it. That may be a deal breaker for someone else.

    List below your thoughts and what are you expectations of products....

    Here are mine:

    Leave ins
    -must be creamy
    -must have slip
    -must be able to be used alone
    -must be able to moisturize my hair for at least 2 days

    Oils
    -must be light
    -must absorb into the hair wet or dry

    Moisturizer/Styler
    -my moisturizer must function as a styler
    -my styler must function as a moisturizer
    -must be able to moisturize my hair for 3 days or longer (I'm lazy )

    Gels
    -must give a good hold but still achieve soft hair
    -must work well with other products

    Deep conditioners/Conditioners
    -must have slip because this is when I detangle my hair
    -must make my hair soft during my deep conditioning and after rinsing it out

    I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Lynnieluve; 09-22-2011, 08:59 PM.
    "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

    Fotki
    Youtube Channel

    Big Chop: August 9, 2009
    Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
    Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

  • #2
    Awesome advice! I would like to add that once you find something you love, figure out which ingredients the product has that you think work well for you and look for other products with those ingredients.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by therese View Post
      Awesome advice! I would like to add that once you find something you love, figure out which ingredients the product has that you think work well for you and look for other products with those ingredients.
      You are right! That's the part I left out. Writing down the first five ingredients of products you love with help in choosing other products.
      "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

      Fotki
      Youtube Channel

      Big Chop: August 9, 2009
      Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
      Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

      Comment


      • #4
        OK, Lynn I am going to need you to start a blog or submit this to Nikki or something. This is too good for everyone to not read!!!!!
        sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
        BC 11/15/09
        NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
        My FOTKI Youtube

        Comment


        • #5
          This would be a great template for some of the youtube reviewer chicks to use! Most of them just say the same old stuff. "This made my curls pop" "that made my hair so soft" or "my hair was just ick". Hard to believe that this kind of intricate analysis tells me nothing. Very well said Lynnieluve
          GO STEELERS!!!
          ___________________________
          LAST RELAXER:10/19/10
          BC:7/14/11

          My staples vary from season to season.

          Twitter: @Jivelene and INSTAGRAM: Jivelene

          Check Out My Blog: http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...kies-tale.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NhappyJackie View Post
            OK, Lynn I am going to need you to start a blog or submit this to Nikki or something. This is too good for everyone to not read!!!!!
            Thanks Jackie. I'll email Nikki.

            Originally posted by Jivelene View Post
            This would be a great template for some of the youtube reviewer chicks to use! Most of them just say the same old stuff. "This made my curls pop" "that made my hair so soft" or "my hair was just ick". Hard to believe that this kind of intricate analysis tells me nothing. Very well said Lynnieluve
            Thanks Jivelene. I've been meaning to post this for some weeks now. I finally sat down and did it.
            "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

            Fotki
            Youtube Channel

            Big Chop: August 9, 2009
            Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
            Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NhappyJackie View Post
              OK, Lynn I am going to need you to start a blog or submit this to Nikki or something. This is too good for everyone to not read!!!!!
              +1

              Awesome post!
              Keep it curly
              Birthday August 2009
              Rebirth December 2010


              my tumblr

              My YOUTUBE CHANNEL

              My Etsy

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sweetdrk1 View Post
                +1

                Awesome post!
                I email her.
                "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

                Fotki
                Youtube Channel

                Big Chop: August 9, 2009
                Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
                Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is great! Great advice and I will definitely use this when deciding what products to use and buy. Thanks!


                  Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
                  fearfully & wonderfully made - Psalms 139:14.

                  Current Products
                  Prepoo: coconut oil & extra virgin olive oil
                  Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Poo/CH Mud&Clay Bar
                  Conditioner: HE Honey I'm Strong/HE Totally Twisted
                  Stylers: Eco Olive Oil Gel/AIAN Curling Jelly/Shea Butter Mix/SM Deep Treatment Masque
                  Butters/Moisturizers: Shea Butter Mix/SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie/Reve Essentials



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great advice, thanks a bunch!

                    Sent from my VM670 using CurlyNikki App

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CurlyNeekMe View Post
                      This is great! Great advice and I will definitely use this when deciding what products to use and buy. Thanks!


                      Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
                      Originally posted by Breezy117 View Post
                      Great advice, thanks a bunch!

                      Sent from my VM670 using CurlyNikki App
                      You're welcome ladies! I'm glad I could help.
                      "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

                      Fotki
                      Youtube Channel

                      Big Chop: August 9, 2009
                      Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
                      Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As usual Lynnie you make a post that needs to be stuck/tacked at the top of the forum. Outstanding information and advice. I wish I had this advice when I first started caring for my natural hair. I learned quickly though! My husband was giving me the side-eye for how many products I had stashed under the bathroom sink, lol.
                        Instagram: @curly_fleur

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This was a good post Lynn. I used to randomly buy products, but for the last 6 months or so I have stopped and asked myself several of these questions and I think that's why the PJ in me has been slowly dying. I didn't even go to the fall hair show because I didn't need to buy anything.

                          Hopefully this will get posted on the blog and maybe you'll win a Curlmart gift certificate. Stretch y'alls hands to Lynn everybody!
                          sigpic
                          Big Chop: 8/13/2010, Signature Style: Twist Out, Goal: APL curlsStaples:
                          D.C. - DB Deep Condish Mask & AO GBP Condish
                          Poo - Afroveda Carrot Bar, Leave-In - Oyin Honey Hemp & Giovanni Direct
                          Oil - Jojoba, Detangler/Refresher - DB Herbal Leave-In Spritz
                          Stylers - Original Moxie Hair Bling, Original Moxie Just Gel, Oyin Burnt Sugar, SM Thickening Growth Milk, Afroveda Curl Define

                          Phena is fine and thin in some places and of medium density in others. 4a, 4b & 3c, high porosity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Love it. It definitely open my eyes to what my products are doing for my hair. I agree with the rest of the ladies in starting a blog or YT channel. Knowledge is power hun! Thanks for sharing yours

                            Sent from my DROID2 using CurlyNikki App

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fleur View Post
                              As usual Lynnie you make a post that needs to be stuck/tacked at the top of the forum. Outstanding information and advice. I wish I had this advice when I first started caring for my natural hair. I learned quickly though! My husband was giving me the side-eye for how many products I had stashed under the bathroom sink, lol.
                              Thanks Fleur. It took my Hubby a long time to find all my stuff. I put in the bathroom he rarely goes in. Of course now, my PJism is under control and I know what my loves.

                              Originally posted by Renny View Post
                              This was a good post Lynn. I used to randomly buy products, but for the last 6 months or so I have stopped and asked myself several of these questions and I think that's why the PJ in me has been slowly dying. I didn't even go to the fall hair show because I didn't need to buy anything.

                              Hopefully this will get posted on the blog and maybe you'll win a Curlmart gift certificate. Stretch y'alls hands to Lynn everybody!
                              Haha! Thanks Renny! I am low on my deep conditioners. It's time to re-up.

                              Originally posted by PrettyRedd View Post
                              Love it. It definitely open my eyes to what my products are doing for my hair. I agree with the rest of the ladies in starting a blog or YT channel. Knowledge is power hun! Thanks for sharing yours

                              Sent from my DROID2 using CurlyNikki App
                              I'm glad it helps. I actually have a YT channel. There are only "picture" videos there though.
                              "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

                              Fotki
                              Youtube Channel

                              Big Chop: August 9, 2009
                              Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
                              Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X