X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Natural Hair Story?

I started getting relaxers fairly young. The first was in 4th/5th grade I believe. All throughout middle and high school I could only retain shoulder length hair. I never knew why. I also realized the older I got, the thinner my hair and edges got. I was addicted to the flatiron and my hair suffered . I also got a bad sew -in that was too tight on my edges. What a disaster!! I decided the only way to grow healthy, thick hair was to stop using heat and to go natural. I started transitioning December 2012 and I recently big chopped May 16th, 2013.
    I documented my natural hair journey on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzpJpG8dX7k

Dont forget to share your story. I would love to learn more about teens who are natural or those transitioning. Comment, share pics, and videos!!

Peace, love, happiness
    ~Key
    Transitioned: December 2012-May 2013
    Big Chopped: May 16th, 2013
    Peace, Love, Happiness
    ~Key

In the 5th grade I was the only one without a perm I cried after someone said my hair was nappy I told my mom and she decided to get me a perm. About a year later I didn't like my relaxed hair it was just straight so I told my mom to un-perm my hair (lol) she explained to me that it wasn't possible and that the only way for my hair to return back to its natural state was to cut it. I didn't want to do that so I accepted it. I didn't have any problem with my relaxed hair but it was just plain. So in the 9th grade a friend of mine went natural without cutting her hair I was curious so I asked her and she told me about transitioning and I got interested and started doing my research which lasted about a year. After that I started to transition and before I knew it I was 7 months post relaxer and then my ex bf told me he didn't like natural hair so I did the Big Chop and told him to beat it lol now I am 3 months post BC and I am loving it

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using CurlyNikki App
    Roxcii !!

Comment

I got my first relaxer when I was 12 because I was tired of ppl talking about my mega puffs! I cried and refused to go to school until I got a relaxer. When I did get it I loved it. I kept relaxing up until nov 2012. I had colored my hair back in sept and then got a relaxer in nov and almost all of my hair fell out. Needless to say, I was so mad at myself!! That's when I called it quits with the harsh chemicals. I transitioned for seven months and big chopped on May 25 2013. I am happier than ever!!! Attachment Attachment
      Attached Files
      BC 5/25/13
      Last relaxer 11/5/12
      I'm finally free!!

Comment

When I was a kid I had really long hair. But I have really sensitive scalp and my mother didn't understand that at all. She'd rough handle my hair and decided to relax it when I was about 10ish because my hair wasn't soft enough/unmanageable (probably because my hair was malnourished). It was kind of good and helped my ma out a lot. It was until she started rough handling my hair again, stopped giving me protein treatments and let people tightly braid my hair that my hair got really bad. Most of my hair was damaged by the time I was 13. Yesterday, I took out all my braids and ,while my mom was at a doctor's appointment, chopped off all my damaged hair. I'm 14 but I feel that I did the right thing. It represents anew me I plan on showing sophomore year and I'm really happy about it.

Comment

I always had long voluminous hair as a kid and teen. I did not get a relaxer until 16 and only because my hair turned into a Diana Ross wig if it was not tamed. I did not realize that it was just thirsty. My hair got shorter and shorter to about arm pit length by the time I was in college. I decided to cut off my relaxer when I studied abroad in Brazil. I couldn't find a reasonable hair dresser that was familiar with relaxers in the 90's. I keep my hair short for a number of years mainly because I did not know what to do with it. Since that time I have gone back and forth two times with a natural fade and a relaxer. I could never get past shoulder length with a relaxer because I put heat on my hair nearly every day.

My mom and sister went natural 3 years ago and decided to transition and heat train their hair. I did not think that was possible for me because I have high density hair. It wasn't until I did an internet search for natural hair in 2012 that I realized that I was doing all the wrong things to maintain healthy hair. Once I found Mahogany Curls on YouTube I was hooked. I had no idea that I could define my curls with certain products and tame this wild mane. I am so glad I started this journey.

Comment

I started getting my relaxers in 3rd grade or so, and I loved it. I got relaxers because when I was younger I was made fun of because I was the only girl who didn't. I kept it up until 9th grade, but I got lazy and stopped. I never took care of my hair and wash day(which was about once a month) was dreaded. Knots would build, and would get so bad I had to cut them out. Also, I was flat ironing on a regular basis. My ends were looking thin and dry, but I didn't care. The straighter the better right?
            In the middle of my sophomore year, I came across Kimmaytube and thought if she could do it, so could I! So from then on I decided to take better care of my hair. I haven't big chopped yet, and I have only worn protective styles. I think twice I have actually worn my hair out in a braid or twist out. Now my senior year is coming up and I plan on big chopping after graduation. I've really found a regimen that works for me and I expect lots of growth this year. Well, that's my hair!

Comment

I got my first relaxer in 7th grade for my moms wedding, i was always begging her for one. I loved it, everyone kept asking if it was my real hair.... in 10th grade i was thinking about going natural & one day Jan 2012 i just decided to BC. My mom cussed me out. Oh well... When i was 4 months pregnant Oct 2012 i didn't know what to do & told my mom to just perm it. She asked me was i sure i said yes.... now my last perm was in May & that time i got bad burns & my edges started thinning.... i was just like uh uh no more. But I'm transitioning this time & i plan on locking

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App
              Teen Mother of one 👶�0
              Striving for the best.
              1st BC: January 2012 💇
              Relaxed: October 2012 🙍
              Transitioning: May 18, 2013 - unknown
              Growing my hair out for locs. 💆

Comment

As a kid my hair was always MBL. I used to go to the hair shop regularly so my hair was very healthy because it was always being taken care of. After my parents started their divorce when I was 9 a lot of things changed and I wasn't able to get my hair done regularly anymore but I was also at that stage where I didn't want my mom doing my hair because she would always put it in childish pony tails and barrettes lol so that's when I started burning out my hair with the pressing comb and by the time I made it to eighth grade my hair was shoulder length. That's when I decided to perm it, just because I wanted my hair to "look curly" when wet. By the time my freshman year in high school came around I had chin length hair, that summer after I got my first weave and I burned my leave out sooo badly it wasn't until summer after my senior year that I started to transition. I finally big chopped in April and my hair has grown so much since then. Even my mom notices how much thicker and healthier it looks and I'm excited that after all these years I finally know how to take care of my hair!! Lol

Comment

Okay so I have had a perm for as long as I can remember. My mom permed my hair because it was easier to work with when straight. She always keep my hair done right so it maintained healthy and long until around the age I was 12. That's because my mom felt like I was old enough to do my own hair but she was way wrong my hair quickly went from down my back to at my chin in 1 year. I got somewhat better at doing my hair and it grew out some and reached my shoulders. By 8th grade my stepmom started doing my hair sense she was a licensed hair stylist and it grew even more. But knowing me I got lazy and stop going to get my hair done and and it started breaking again. And I hated flat ironing my hair so I started doing little did i know then a wash and go using a lot of conditioner and scrunching my hair and it turned out pretty well. I did that all the way trough 9th grade and relished that I was actually going naturally and just keep with it thought 10th grade. I finally big chopped feb 5 and 5 month post big chop I love my hair.

Comment

My natural hair story!

I remember getting my first blowout in Kindergarten, and since that faithful day, I would beg my mother to blow it out over, and over, and over! My mother is Honduran, and has(d) naturally wavy hair, and my Black father has naturally curly hair. However, my mother, and her mother, have permed hair, and since I only knew Hispanics as light-skinned, long straight/loose curly haired people, I identified as Black, and only as Black for a LONG time (until I was 10 or 11) so I wanted what the other little black girls had, perms or protective styles. Since I was used to always having my hair in twists, or tight braids that slowly and surely pulled back my hairline, or blown out to make it easier to deal with, I never fully embraced my naturally curly 3C/4A hair!
                    It wasn't until one faithful day that my mother had washed my hair, and I glanced in the mirror when walked to her room so she could blow it out. I was 9 at the time, and I turned to my mother and asked why I couldn't wear my hair curly. High School Musical had just come out, and I thought my hair looked an awful lot like Corbin Bleu's! I thought his hair was fabulous (insert snap here). My mother stopped, sat me down, and she told me about her story. She had permed her hair at an early age, and had "beautiful" hair like me at one point, but her mother never knew what to do with it, and now it was the same with me! After that point she stopped blowing out my hair so frequently, stopped braiding and twisting it so tight, and even started doing twist-outs with natural-hair products like Carol's Daughter. On the other hand, if my hair wasn't blown out, it was often braided. My hair slowly started to grow quickly as a result and went from collarbone length to bra-strap length by 5th grade when straightened.
                    But the damage had been done! In the 6th grade, I finally had to cut off 10+ inches of hair to a barely-shoulder length bob because of split, damaged ends. I have always been a bubbly, outgoing, popular girl, but with that haircut my self-esteem plummeted. I couldn't put my hair into a ponytail, let alone my signature high ponytail! It was with this that I finally started to use natural hair products, purchased eagerly by my mother, who had always wanted in her youth to be natural! My first day back to school (since I had gotten it cut on the weekend), I put my hair into two ponytails, which led me to be called Pippi-Longstocking, but it was by these people, others, family and even school faculty that I got complimented on my new look!
                    So far, I've been AU NATURALE, slowly getting off my habit of getting my hair flat ironed. I've been through gallons of Kinky-Curly, Wave Nouveau, Olive Oil, Eco-Styler, Jane Carter, and soooooo much more, and have spent HOURS mini twisting and braiding my hair but it's been worth it! Although I have chronic split ends, (LOL), I have (stretched) breast-length hair! I've recently started singing online, and have put up one natural hair video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNrxEdsxkk but I plan on doing more. PLEASE tell me what you think! Should I turn this long essay into a natural hair journey video? Thanks a bunch
                    I'm a natural teen in New York! My hair is 3C in the front and 4A in the back! I had heat damage 4 years ago, and had to get my bra-strap length hair cut. Since then, I've went natural, but still struggle with split ends and obsessive compulsive flat iron disorder! I've started making videos on YouTube, and want to document my hair journey! Help support me by watching http://www.youtube.com/user/MickiMouz1

Comment

I always had long soft hair until 3rd grade. Guess when I got my first perm? 3rd grade -_- lol. My hair never passed my nape until I started transitioning in April 2012. I decided to transition after a perm that gave me a bald spot on the middle of my head 😳 not a good look for a 7th grader. So yeah I started to grow out my hair and now it's hitting shoulder length. This is the longest my hair has been since 3rd grade I'm now a rising 9th grader with thick healthy hair!

Comment

Wow, y'all are putting me to shame, lol. I got a relaxer I believe either before or when I started kindergarden. My hair was still very thick and my mother still used a hot comb to get it manageable. My hair was almost bra strap length by the end of 5th grade, then I started getting cornrows. The lady who braided my hair would braid very tight, so my hair would continue to break. By my 10th grade year my hair was touching the back of my neck. That was the year I started doing research on how to take care of my hair and eventually found out about natural hair and big chops. At first I said, "There's no way you're going to get me to chop all my hair off, goodbye." lol, but I finallyafter I came home on the last day of school (Summer 2012), I BC'd and I actually loved it. It's been a year & I feel like my hair hasn't grown much, but I'm taking care of it.

Comment

Well for me I have been getting a perm for God know how long but my did the big chop June of 2012 and she has been bugging me about it. But my thing was I'm not cutting my hair at all and that is it. So just recently I have decided to not do the big chop but transition. I heard that senegalese twist helps you transition I just recently took them out
                          ( LOVED THEM) . I plan on getting Marley twist in the beginning of November . If you have any suggestions please sen them to me and ready to take this journey to health hair ! 😊

Comment

Working...
                          X