X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College and Money...

Hi! So I need advice (from anyone with an opinion... whether you're a teen, currently in college, out of college, or from experience).
    Next year I'll be a senior in HS and I know I wanna be a dentist. But financially idk what's the best way to go about it. My family is not rich so paying for college will be a burden but I wanna go the route that's less burdensome for my fam.
    For the longest time I was set on my original goal: get my bs and dds/dmd together through a 6 or 7 year program on a academic scholarship at one school/institute.
    But then I thought: what if I went the traditional 8 year route for my bs and dds/dmd and went to a 4 year college to get my bs on a tennis scholarship and then go to dental school (and maybe get a scholarship or take out loans).
    The only thing is... idk which one is a safer bet. Cos if I get an academic scholarship idk if it'd be enough and if it'd cover my time in dental school too. But then idk if I'd be a good enough (in terms of rankings and experience) to get a tennis scholarship.
    Soooooo what do you guys think?

And I can't do the 6 or 7 year program and the tennis scholarship together because the program is too rigorous and fast moving (it's 8 years crammed into 6 or 7). And college tennis is very time consuming and demanding, it's like a full time job. There are a lot of long practices and you miss classes for games and I could not afford to miss class for such a fast paced program.

Comment

Focus on academic scholarships. Go to a community college first to get prereqs out of the way. Transfer to a four year and finish your b.a. Then work on your dental program. C.c. Will be cheaper an has scholarship options. Many four years have scholarships for transfer students.

I got my a.a. Then my b.a. Now I'm working on my masters. I didn't start taking out loans till this year for my masters. Everything else was paid for in scholarships and grants. I'm 24.
      Twitter- @LoveZaporiah
      Tumblr- http://lovezaporiah.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LoveZaporiah View Post
        Focus on academic scholarships. Go to a community college first to get prereqs out of the way. Transfer to a four year and finish your b.a. Then work on your dental program. C.c. Will be cheaper an has scholarship options. Many four years have scholarships for transfer students.

I got my a.a. Then my b.a. Now I'm working on my masters. I didn't start taking out loans till this year for my masters. Everything else was paid for in scholarships and grants. I'm 24.

Sent from my LG-E739 using CurlyNikki App

+1...I too started out at a community college, eeeooonnns ago.lol...and it did help save money...now I'm finishing up my masters (this upcoming fall, yaaaay.lol.)...and don't hve as much in student loans to pay bck, partially b/c of how I got started...at a community college.

Also, remember Its not so much how you start but most important is how you finish; most employers look at your most educational history/experience...and you're planning on going to dental school so attending a comm. college should be okay for you. Wish you the best, stay focused and keep us posted on how you are doing in your studies
        "Be you...be true to you, whether society approves or not!"

Comment

Thanks ladies! What you guys are saying makes sense.

Comment

Sorry... I need a help. For enter in langueg school I should to write an essay. So maybe who know good writing service? Maybe this http://www.customessays.co.uk/
            Custom essay writing service, where Ph.D. experts write outstanding essays for UK students. Order your original, custom-written paper today!

Comment

Working...
            X