Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No moisturizers work on my hair. What can I do?

I don't know what to do. No matter what I try to put on my hair, it stays dry and hard no matter what. Clumps of my hair fall out just from touching it with my fingers. Unless I put huge globs of hair grease in it, it's never slick enough to manipulate in any way.
    • I've tried not using shampoo.
    • I've tried hot-oil treatments.
    • Shea butter.
    • Coconut Oil
    • Water spray.
    • Hot oil treatment.
    • Homemade Caramel treatment.

All of these things have either had no effect or made my hair worse in some other way. Coconut oil and shea butter softened my hair a bit, but they also made it very dull, frizzy and stinky. Caramel treatments that I purchased from Eatae helped soften my hair with minimal side-effects, but they cost so much that I can't afford them now. I tried making one myself, but somehow it just made my hair dryer and crunchier.

This is really frustrating. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I don't know what else I can try. Please help!

Moisturisers are water based. Oils, the products you have been using, are for sealing in moisture.

To retain moisture after you have washed/co-washed your hair - when your hair is wet or very damp put in a water based moisturiser then seal your hair with an oil or butter. Have a read of the LOC method on the main site.

You also need to deep conditioner your hair a minimum of once a week, should stop using shampoos with sulphates in and products with silicones in them.

Comment

I haven't heard of the loc method before, but I've already kind of been doing that. While my hair is wet, I put in aloe vera, then coconut oil, then normal hair-grease. All of the creams that I've tried have made my hair really crunchy, but maybe I'll try it again with Shea Butter and that will yield better results.

Already dropped those shampoos, but I didn't know that I was supposed to deep condition my hair that often, so I'm gonna go look up some recipes. Maybe this is the missing piece. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

My suggestion is to be sure u know ur hair properties first. This knowledge will guide the type products that will work for u. Also, if u overdo the protein, that can be a problem. Some here cowash instead of using shampoo, at least until the moisture issue is solved. Some baggy to keep the hair moisturized. It may take a little time to pinpoint, so I recommend keeping a hair journal. HTH

In the evening of life, we will be judged on love alone -St John the Cross--Sent from my iPod touch using CurlyNikki-
        People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. -Mother Teresa-

Comment

How long ago was your big chop?

Use a silicone serum in place of your oils. That will give you great moisture retention.

You remove them the same way you do oils, with any shampoo (sulfate or non-sulfate).
          Wen...nothing else!

Comment

How often do you clarify or chelate your hair? Do you have hard water? Invest in a shower filter.

I would start with clean, naked hair.

Then I would dc and use the loc or lco method.

I personally do not use products containing cones or mineral oils. Some people's hair love these.

I use products from Darcy's Botanicals, Oyin Handmade, Bask and Curl Junkie for my dc, lotions, leave ins, creans, moisturizers and sealers.

I use JBCO, grapeseed oil, unrefined coconut oil, pumpkin seed oil and hazelnut oils on my hair.

I use canned coconut milk (Thai kitchen doesn't have preservatives) for dc's or add to dc's. Raw honey is a good humectant.

For protein I use Mill creek Botanicals Keratin or Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin with Giovanni's Nutrafix on top.

Your hair needs a proper balance with protein and moisture. What protein do you use? Hair that is too moisturized breaks easily. Hair that is properly balanced retains moisture for more than a day.

Do you know your hair's porosity?

I do not blow dry my hair. That dries my hair out. Try less heat if you can.

Handle you hair gently, like antique silk. If you use brushes throw them out. Use seamless combs. Detangle from the ends.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
            Last edited by Lilylily; 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfjkl View Post
              I haven't heard of the loc method before, but I've already kind of been doing that. While my hair is wet, I put in aloe vera, then coconut oil, then normal hair-grease. All of the creams that I've tried have made my hair really crunchy, but maybe I'll try it again with Shea Butter and that will yield better results.

Already dropped those shampoos, but I didn't know that I was supposed to deep condition my hair that often, so I'm gonna go look up some recipes. Maybe this is the missing piece. Thanks for the suggestions.
              Some people's hair hate Aloe Vera. Stop using it and see.

I dc a few times a week in the winter, my hair loves keratin so I use protein a few times a week as well. Always dc after protein. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfjkl View Post
                I don't know what to do. No matter what I try to put on my hair, it stays dry and hard no matter what. Clumps of my hair fall out just from touching it with my fingers. Unless I put huge globs of hair grease in it, it's never slick enough to manipulate in any way.
                • I've tried not using shampoo.
                • I've tried hot-oil treatments.
                • Shea butter.
                • Coconut Oil
                • Water spray.
                • Hot oil treatment.
                • Homemade Caramel treatment.

All of these things have either had no effect or made my hair worse in some other way. Coconut oil and shea butter softened my hair a bit, but they also made it very dull, frizzy and stinky. Caramel treatments that I purchased from Eatae helped soften my hair with minimal side-effects, but they cost so much that I can't afford them now. I tried making one myself, but somehow it just made my hair dryer and crunchier.

This is really frustrating. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I don't know what else I can try. Please help!
                I just re read your post. What are you using for moisture? I just see oils and butters. Those are sealants. I don't see any lotions or puddings or creams.

Comment

Deep condition weekly- just leave your conditioner in your hair after shampoo for an hour with a plastic shower hat on- rinse with cool water and try Qhemet's alma and heavy cream or burdock root. They are online and have a list of select stores as well.

Comment

Yea oils and butters are not moisturizers try using a product that I'd specifically a moisturizer or a leave in

Sent from my SGH-T679 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Moisturizers

My hair also hates straight aloe vera AND straight coconut oil. Anytime I use it Those things by themselves I end up with dry, crunchy hair. I would suggest using a different moisturizer, one with water as the first ingredient. My hair doesn't mind products that contain aloe vera juice and coconut oil, but they HAVE to be mixed in. Try eliminating those two or at least using products that contain them instead of using them by themselves, and see what happens. Hth.

Comment

Working...
                      X