X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth n Shine Keratin SEMI-PERMANENT HAIR TAMER

Saw this in Walgreens yesterday.... seems new to the market & no real reviews. It is not a relaxer, but I wonder if there are any negative effects on the curls. Supposedly not, but I've read that before with other treatments & the reviews state the opposite. Anybody heard of this? http://smoothnshine.com/keratin-powe...-activate.html
    iPhone CurlyNikki

Keratin treatments make me nervous. I haven't taken then time to research it thoroughly but I've noticed every brand that I've ever seen, the girls hair is always straight. Some say they'll stay straight up to 3 months, others a shorter span of time. Regardless, if it's saying it'll straighten, that makes me assume there has to be some type of chemical. So I'm not sure what that means to your curls when/if it fades away. You might be stuck growing it out and doing a BC again if that's the case.

http://www.youtube.com/CurlyCunfusion

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Elliot

Comment

I don't plan on getting it (I love my curls & my texture) I was just curious. What I meant in regards to the curls was around the claim that you can still wear wash n go hair whenever you want, implying that your hair won't stay straight unless you straighten it.
      iPhone CurlyNikki

Comment

So i googled Keratin treatments and black curly hair. This is what I found out. " The Brazilian keratin treatment was originally discovered by a mortician in Brazil. He noticed that embalming fluid with formaldehyde was causing the hair of the corpses to straighten. A safe formula to be used on hair was eventually created and became known as the Brazilian keratin treatment. There have been some concerns about the safety of the formaldehyde version of the treatment, so a non-formaldehyde version was created; both formulas are still used. The FDA does not regulate cosmetic products and has not listed methylene glycol as an unsafe ingredient. This is the ingredient that produces the formaldehyde vapors...............This is a great option for African-American women transitioning from relaxed to natural hair; the hair can be straightened with the treatment while transitioning but will return back to it's naturally curly or kinky state once the person is ready to go fully natural. "
        But it doesn't say how it goes back and I guess there are different kinds you can buy that'll last for different amount and depending on the type, it'll either be bone straight or a looser curl.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280310-brazilian-keratin-treatment-for-black-hair/#ixzz1q31g63B7

http://www.youtube.com/CurlyCunfusion

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Elliot

Comment

Thanks for searching. I'm all to familiar with keratin treatments themselves... I did a few when I was transitioning as a straight natural & it's was the high temp heat that ruined my curls when I was ready to go curlie. This product is suppose to be different which is why I was curious. My cousin wants to transition the way I did but there are better ways.
          iPhone CurlyNikki

Comment

I saw this at Wal-Mart today. The box indicates you can use heat as your final step OR allow it air dry and it acts as a smoothing/curl relaxing treatment for natural hair.

Looks interesting but the "5x less damaging" than a relaxer claims gave me pause . I read the subtext of that statement to mean it's still damaging just not as damaging as a relaxer.

The box states the bonds of the hair are not changed, but there is a LONG list of precautions down the side of the box, including that any leftover product should NOT be stored/saved and should be washed down the drain.

Ha, as I was writing this I was going to grab the ingredient list and I came across a video from Smooth N Shine :

Client: Smooth N Shine // Project: SNS How-to 3min - FINAL - YouTube

BTW this is video is unlisted on youtube so you need the link.

Anyway so after watching the video, it seems you need to straighten your hair after application to "activate" the treatment, then after that straightening is optional. The model in the video seems to have relaxed/partially relaxed hair.

Comment

I know this thread is old, but I literally signed up for this forum to spread the news. This product is a mild relaxer. There is a neutralizing step. I used it twice. At first my curls were loose, soft and perfectly coiled. Then I started to notice frizz and breakage. Beware. This is pretty much a texlax product.

Comment

Im also nervous to try the keratin treatments I feel like my hair will be permanently straight kind of like a texturizer. That's why I like to use more natural ways to straighten my curl like this heatless hair styler: http://www.cwkgirls.com/#_l_3r

Comment

I think you shouldn't be nervous of the keratin treatments...
                  Best Hair Transplant Islamabad in Pakistan| FUE Hair Transplant in Peshawar Pakistan

Comment

Working...
                  X