Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Anti-Mixtress; A Product Junkie's Tale.

So, I’ve decided to start a blog. Partially so I can document what products I’ve used and how they’ve performed and partially so I can interact with more of you on my beloved ‘curly board’, as I endearingly call the forum to my peeps who could care less about hair talk of any kind on message boards or forums.

An introduction of myself & Hair Story: Welcome. I’m Charlene (but you can call me Jive as most of my friends do). I’m 32 and I work in a large & conservative office in the greater Pittsburgh area. I’m biracial (black & white) and was adopted by my Great Aunt & Uncle who are both black. I had been chemically altering my hair since the summer of 1989. I was 9 yrs old and I was tired of wearing my BSL hair in twist & braids. All of the other girls at school were starting to wear their hair out & straight and I was trying to get in on that! My mother is a press & curl natural from way back and flat out refused to let me get a relaxer. (She had a bad relaxer experience in the 70’s and had to end up BCing down to ‘a natural’ (as she called it). This was also about the time when wave nouveau’s started to gain some momentum. So, she allowed me to get that because she thought it was not as strong as a relaxer and that it would ‘look more like your real hair’.

I was stoked that I could finally have some big girl hair and after the perm, my hair was down to my waist. But throughout the day, it shrunk and kinked back up into a frizzy triangle. My mom took me back to the salon the next day. The stylist advised us that the ‘perm didn’t take’ and repermed it that day. 2 perms in 2 days was more than my hair could take. It broke off and thinned out for the rest of the year and by the next summer, my waist length hair had been chopped into a short curly bob that was about ear-length.

Now, this was a tragedy to my parents and to my girl friends. But I was stoked about the hair cut! I was about to turn 11. I was going from the elementary school to the jr/sr high school. I thought the hair cut made me look older and I felt like I could finally fit in a bit more in regards to my hair. My hair was always a source of me getting picked on. When you’re kid in grade school, you have a hard time comprehending jealousy but looking back on it that’s obviously what it was. I had gum thrown in my hair twice. One girl took a chunk out of it with scissors in the 6th grade. Someone always had something to say about it. “Quit swinging your hair around like a white girl”. Etc, etc. So, now that it was short (for me) it was just one less thing to get picked on for.

Fast forward 9th grade. I started blowing out my curly perm and straightening it with a fat curling iron. This look was much more preferred by myself and by my peers. Even my parents were down so I grew out the wave nouveau and got a relaxer the summer before the 10th grade. I had been relaxed ever since. I loved the look but hated the chemical burns which varied in degree without warning from relaxer to relaxer. I went to the salon about 3 times a year. I couldn’t tolerate the burns anymore than that. Once I got to college, I relaxed my hair myself or had a friend help me. By this time, I was down to about twice a year. I used heat to straighten my new growth or I would wear it curly. I never kept a relaxer in for very long because it just burned the heck out of me. Therefore, my hair would always still curl back up with the assistance of scrunching, pink lotion, wrap lotion, a ‘frizz serum’ & Infusium 23. I guess it was more like ‘Tex-laxed’, but I didn’t know anything about that term then. Most of the time, it was curly from about 2001-2008.

Jump ahead to 2009-2010 ish. My hair is back to BSL. It’s super damaged but I’m not even concerned about that. Probably of it consist of split ends. It’s too long to perm myself and after a few mishaps with letting friends perm it, I went back to going to the salon. I had a love affair with wigs, half wigs & drawstrings. (I still do and I can’t wait until my hair is long enough to rock different looks again!) I’m basically concerned with keeping my length for my wedding. I wanted to wear a Beyonce style half-wig for it and needed my length to blend it. I went to the salon about 5 days before my wedding to get it permed and my stylist perm- burns the left side of my face & ear. It was the worst perm-burn I’ve ever gotten and I was livid that it happened on my wedding week. I really didn’t think that make-up was going to cover it up and the stylist had the nerve to say “just toss your hair in front of it so it don’t show”. I still have a few choice words for her if I ever see her on the street!

So from that day on, I decided I wasn’t going to perm my hair anymore. I knew nothing about how to handle my real texture and couldn’t really remember what it was going to be like all grown out. I didn’t know anything about ‘going natural’ or curlynikki.com or naturallycurly.com I was just going to wear drawstrings and wigs. I didn’t plan on big chopping until I discovered the natural hair community on Youtube which opened up a world of knowledge! Particularly, Taren916 was my inspiration for going natural. I researched products, product lines & ingredients. I watched more and more ‘hair journeys’. I talked about it with incessantly with my friends & family. I became a natural hair enthusiast and finally big chopped on July 14th 2011. My plan was to transition for a year, but I was so excited, scared and overall just so emotional over growing it out that I lost my patience and cut it. Best hair decision ever! I now consider natural hair care as my favorite hobby.

So finally here I am: Jive the Anti-mixtress. I call myself that because as much as I want to buy every oil, gel and butter to make my own “SuperJive’s Ultimate Bomb-biggity Hair Butter”. I just don’t have the time or patience to do so. And besides, being a product junkie plays well with my overall shopping addiction. I love to buy & try stuff and the only thing I have time to cook in the kitchen is food (and I only have time for that about once a week). So welcome to a Product Junkie’s Tail. A tale where I will share my purchases with you (and they may not always be hair purchases), document how they performed in my hair and my overall opinion. I love to have options and for the most part, most of the stuff I have on hand works on my hair. If it doesn’t, I swap it or give it away and buy more. The product lust never ends…..

Sorry this was so long.
    Last edited by Jivelene; 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM.
    GO STEELERS!!!

My staples vary from season to season.

Twitter: @Jivelene and INSTAGRAM: Jivelene

Check Out My Blog: http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...kies-tale.html

Yay! Go lady j. Wanted to comment. Will come back later to read. Congrats chick!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlyNikki App

Hair I Grow!!

Comment

Originally posted by transition_newbie View Post
      Yay! Go lady j. Wanted to comment. Will come back later to read. Congrats chick!

Thanks, I know it was long as heck!
      GO STEELERS!!!

Comment

Yaaaaay, welcome Jivelene! Your intro reminds me of my own in so many ways Being teased, wanting straight hair, lol, the dang perm burns I sure don't miss those! Texlaxed, I guess thats what I was getting too, lol, twice a year as well and it surely wasn't worth it. Thank goodness for the curly girl, world! I will mos def be following along & scoping out products for swap #pjsunite!!

 from myusing CurlyNikki
        DiamondCurl24/7
        Last Relaxer: Feb. 2008
        Follow me on Instagram diamondev27

Comment

Originally posted by Jivelene View Post
          Thanks, I know it was long as heck!
          Not long.....informative. I was right in the middle of doing something when i saw ur new thread. First you were MIA then hung around a lil bit then BAM! You create a blog! *high five*

Hair I Grow!!

Comment

Welcome to the block! Quite an interesting story. And if you ever decide to make your SuperJive’s Ultimate Bomb-biggity Hair Butter, I'd buy it, just for the name lol!
            LAST RELAXER: JUNE 20, 2010 / BIG CHOP: AUGUST 3, 2011
            CHECK OUT MY BLOG: http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...ce-new-me.html

Comment

Yay u made a blog. Just wanted to comment :-) now hurry up and get to the reviews lol

Sent from my iphone CurlyNikki
              PJ and proud of it.
              BC 7/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by braidsntwists View Post
                Welcome to the block! Quite an interesting story. And if you ever decide to make your SuperJive’s Ultimate Bomb-biggity Hair Butter, I'd buy it, just for the name lol!
                +1

✨Sent from my iPhone✨
                Colorfulkinks.tumblr.com

Chemical-Free since Tuesday, March, 23, 2010

Comment

Standing up in a room full of pj's "Hi Jivelene". I will definitely be following. Have you had a chance to use the KBN shealoe yet?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

It's your blog, J! Make it as long as you want!
                    Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by Chelleymonroe View Post
                      Yay u made a blog. Just wanted to comment :-) now hurry up and get to the reviews lol

Sent from my iphone CurlyNikki
                      They're coming, they're coming! And most of the stuff I have, you have. (except for the KBN, Curl Junkie and Oyin) And you need to get on that in a hurry. #PJsunite

Originally posted by thenaturalmo View Post
                      Standing up in a room full of pj's "Hi Jivelene". I will definitely be following. Have you had a chance to use the KBN shealoe yet?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlyNikki App

Oooo girl, Yaaaasssss! I had a sample of that in the summer. I knew that my hair liked it but I didn't go hard on it b/c it was only a 2oz sample. Now that I have whole bottle it is love-lee!!! The glycerin is low enough in the ingrediant list that I still have slip and it doesn't dry my hair out. The only thing I don't like about that stuff, is the way it feels in my hand when i pour it our the bottle. Its grainy. And I kinda feel like i'm putting salad dressing in my hair. But that's minor cause I like the results!
                      GO STEELERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HonnyBrown View Post
                        It's your blog, J! Make it as long as you want!
                        I know, but I feel like ppl will see that 1st page and be like, 'damn, I aint reading all of this!'. I probably would
                        GO STEELERS!!!

Comment

Hey Jive! I've always loved your style and makeup....welcome to the block!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
                          Staples:
                          Prepoo - JBCO & Condish
                          Shampoo - Shea Moisture, CJ Daily Fix
                          Conditioner - SSI Avocado, HE HIS, LUV Nat
                          Leave in - KBN Shealoe, DB pumpkin seed, LUV Nat, CK Satin Roots
                          Styler - Oyin S&D, OM Shape Shifter, BF Creme Brle
                          Gel - CK Coil Jam, Let's Jam Custard
                          Moisturizer - Oyin Hair Dew, DB Sweet Cocoa Bean
                          DC - SM Anti-breakage Masque, SSI Okra Hair, Rhassoul Clay DC
                          Henna - Red Raj

BC'd August 13, 2010 No Transition
                          Blog here in the forumThe Life of a Capricorn

Comment

Yay! I'm so glad you started a blog! Welcome honey!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlyNikki App
                            SHEBA dob 12/30/10

Comment

Originally posted by halo4angel View Post
                              Hey Jive! I've always loved your style and makeup....welcome to the block!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
                              Thank you! I'm sure i'll be talking about makeup too. That is my other hobby! LOVE IT!

Originally posted by naturallyjada View Post
                              Yay! I'm so glad you started a blog! Welcome honey!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlyNikki App
                              You mean MY hair idol is glad to see my blog?!?! Aw shucks...you shouldn't have
                              GO STEELERS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X