X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gille54spie
    My hair is breaking constantly. I would trim and trim again and again and my hair is still breaking. Plus I am extra protein sensitive. I don't know what is best to help my breakage but I feel like I want to give up, I don't want to have to do another big chop.

Hi Gille54spie. First, you have to find out why your hair is breaking. Are you under stress? Do your ends look and/or feel dry/brittle/uneven (if longer than shoulder length, unevenness is typical)? Have you changed your products?

Once you can narrow down why your hair is breaking, you can combat it.

I suggest amping up the moisture. It is, IMO, and those of others from articles I have read to deal with moisture overload than protein overload.

Before I continue, I would also like you to explain why you feel your hair is extra protein sensitive. What did you use and how did your hair behave.

Try the following.

Prepoo every other night adding more to the ends.
    Before cleansing with cleanser/shampoo, apply conditioner to ends to coat them
    Add a thicker oil (olive or castor) and/or butter to your ends twice a day
    DC at least once a week using heat (body heat is fine, towel warmed in dryer, steamer, hair dryer, etc.)

Please let me know how it goes.
    Tumblr: myhairmyway | Find me on Twitter@ChrsLvsBks
    Curl Street Journal Part III
    Curl Street Journal Part II
    Curl Street Journal Part I

Comment

Re:

Good one.Keep it up.Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have been w/o a relaxer for over 10 years, but I have been wearing my hair natural more frequently in the last 3 years. This year I have done more research on my natural hair and what to do with it, and how to care for it. I am noticing the growth and healthiness of it, which sparked the love affair I'm mhaving with my hair. However, I have noticed that the longer it gets, the harder it is to get volume because my curls are becoming looser and my hair is wavy now. I keep switching from product to product becauase my hair only turns out the way I want it two to three times, then the product is useless. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the length of my hair, or do I have to just put more effort into getting more volume and shrinkage? (I love a big curly fro)
        Sent from my  on my CurlyNikki app 

Comment

Kmichel, there may be a couple of things to consider. The products may no longer work after two to three times because your hair has build up. I would suggest using a shampoo to cleanse. Also try either an ACV rinse or clarifying shampoo. If you chose to clarify, ensure you do not overdo it since it can strip your hair of moisture.

Volume is harder to achieve when your hair is wavy when longer. You can try a couple of things. Cut in layers. Scrunch in products upside down. Use clips to lift hair at roots until dry. Lift hair at roots and use blowdryer to dry it to nearly dry.

Hoping this helps.

Comment

Hi. I have 3 b/c hair. I'm now 4 months pregnant and having issues. The same happened in my last pregnancy but I dealt with it by blow drying my hair straight. I'd prefer not to have to do that this time if possible. My hair has a lot if volume right now. But it tends to try locking into itself after 1 day post wash. Normally I cowash every few days and clarify a needed. After my normal routine my hair is great for day 1 then day 2? Dread locks in the back. I've been spraying the area with water/moisturizer and then gently detangling but by the end of day 2 my whole head looks like it's reaching for the stars. Two strand twists and braids don't last for me so at this time I'm thinking a bun is my only option. Have any ideas for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Kikibrown View Post
              Hi. I have 3 b/c hair. I'm now 4 months pregnant and having issues. The same happened in my last pregnancy but I dealt with it by blow drying my hair straight. I'd prefer not to have to do that this time if possible. My hair has a lot if volume right now. But it tends to try locking into itself after 1 day post wash. Normally I cowash every few days and clarify a needed. After my normal routine my hair is great for day 1 then day 2? Dread locks in the back. I've been spraying the area with water/moisturizer and then gently detangling but by the end of day 2 my whole head looks like it's reaching for the stars. Two strand twists and braids don't last for me so at this time I'm thinking a bun is my only option. Have any ideas for me?
              Hi! First, hoping nothing but the best for you during your pregnancy, labor and delivery.

It sounds like your hair has either too much or too little moisture. To see if it is too much moisture, when wet, pull a few strands to see if it bounces back. If not, try a protein treatment. If it bounces back, look at the ingredients in your moisturizer. It may have a humectant or two, humectants can be a friend or foe. In dry climates, the moisture in hair will be zapped by the environment. In humid climates, hair will absorb more than its share of moisture from the atmosphere. Anti-humectants, silicone and waxes help to block moisture from entering and leaving your hair. Use them sparingly, and cleanse with a cleanser that can rid your hair of them to avoid build up.

As far as styling, you can do twist outs, braid outs, flat twists or cornrows in addition to buns. Buns can be fun, get creative with placement.

Comment

deep conditioning

what is a deep conditioner for and the proper way to use it because ive used some and they only made my hair feel rough why is that
                BIG CHOP :January 6,2011

Comment

What do you think of this regiment? Doo gro anti thinning mega thick shampoo on occasions, mane and tail deep moisturizer more frequently than shampoo, cantu Shea butter leave in conditioner almost everday along with a mixture of these oils( tea tree, Africa's best herbal oil, dro gro growth oil) which I use everyday
                  ?

Comment

What do you think of this regiment? Doo gro anti thinning mega thick shampoo on occasions, mane and tail deep moisturizer more frequently than shampoo, cantu Shea butter leave in conditioner almost everyday along with conditioner and a mixture of these oils( tea tree, Africa's best herbal oil, dro gro growth oil) which i use everyday
                    ?

Comment

How can I send you a sample?

Hi!

I just wanted to ask how I might send you a sample of my hair product. My website is here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/rayvens , and it's all natural. My e-mail is [email protected] -- I really want to send you some!

-Rayven

Comment

I have short curly hair that's very dry. I just switched to a sulfate free cleanser but it is still on the dry side. Wash day was Sunday & I can tell my hair is softer after doing a deep condition. But after letting it air dry, still on the dry side & my twist out was a disaster. Could it be the protein overload? Except the cleanser, all my conditioners have proteins in them.

Comment

I love your curly hair keep looking like that!
                          "Love cures people - both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it."

Villa Adria
                          hotels krk

Comment

Working...
                          X