X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Dajewel!

Ask your product ingredient questions here!

Attachment
    Attached Files

The local chemist is in! I love it!
    Keep it curly
    Birthday August 2009
    Rebirth December 2010

my tumblr

My YOUTUBE CHANNEL

My Etsy

Comment

thanks sd1!!!!!
      my fav products:
      evco, evoo, macademia nut oil, castor oil, aloe vera gel, water, shea butter

DaJewel's 4 Type Hair Journey to wl by Dec 12, 2012

"come look at my computer. is sumn wrong. is got ah apple in it. it is bit out of." has me dwl everytime!!!

Comment

Are all sulfates created equal? I recently used the curly wurly shampoo from lush and was surprised to see ammonium laureth sulfate as the first ingredient. Is that just a harsh as the sodium laureth sulfate?

Comment

Originally posted by sweeternadiah View Post
          Are all sulfates created equal? I recently used the curly wurly shampoo from lush and was surprised to see ammonium laureth sulfate as the first ingredient. Is that just a harsh as the sodium laureth sulfate?
          hey there! all sulfates are not created equal, some are less or more drying than other sulfate detergents. it is less harsher than sodium laureth sulfate. there are studies, though, that indicate that frequent use (3x a week) may cause slight irritation.
          my fav products:

"come look at my computer. is sumn wrong. is got ah apple in it. it is bit out of." has me dwl everytime!!!

Comment

Thank you! I feel better about using the tub of shampoo up (no more than 1x a week). Lush products are pricey, lol.

Comment

What are the names of proteins to look for in products, if you are protein sensitive?

Comment

Hi Dajewel

i have a slight issue......i have always had a short tappered cut.....my hair has grown pretty well, everywhere except in the back....the back nape is not growing at all

I have tried JBCO and a growth serum with sulfur, so far no good result.

I am thinking about wild growth oil, and was wondering what your thoughts were on this product, or if there is anything else you would recommend to get my hair growing....

thanks

Comment

I'd like to know if wild growth hair oil is good for growing my hair! And if so what's the difference bw the white bottle and the yellow bottle??

JusBnNappy from my iPhone
                  Big Chop: 5/20/2011

"Don't Remove the Kinks from your hair... Remove them from your Brain."

~ Marcus Garvey ~

ChocolateHairAffair - http://www.youtube.com/user/JusBnNappy

Twitter: @ChocHairAffair

This is a true confession, of a life learned lesson that I was sent here to share with yawl...
                  ~India Arie~

Comment

My nephew is a barber. I have dark dark brown hair. I like the deep reds not red red...but anywho... I was told I needed to lift the color before my hair would take a lighter color. He told me it could damage...weaken my hair and that is a risk I am NOT willing to take....advice???

Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki

Comment

Originally posted by Sassy24 View Post
                      What are the names of proteins to look for in products, if you are protein sensitive?
                      am not a believer of 'protein sensitivity'.

here are some "secret" words to give you an idea that there is some protein activity:

hydrolyzed protein of (fill in the blank)
                      keratin
                      amino acids (because amino acids are the building blocks of proteins)
                      specific names of amino acids(there are 20 common amino acids: glycine, alanine, proline, valine, leucine, isoleucine, methionine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan, lysine, arginine, histidine, serine, threonine, cysteine, asparagine, glutamine, aspartate, glutamate)
                      egg protein
                      coconut protein (not very much of a protein, but may strengthen the efforts of a protein that is already in the product or hair)
                      wheat germ
                      horsetail (has cysteine)
                      silk protein (i feel they list this as a marketing tool. silk protein is no different than any other protein.)
                      soy

there is no quick and easy way to figure out if some proteins are stronger than others because the varied amino acid sequence that makes up the hair creates an environment complicated by differing amino acid characteristics (eg. charge repulsion, water-loving and water-hating natures within the structure,etc) that can be pretty difficult to hypothesize which protein treatment is beneficial for you unless your hair is being analyzed with proper equipment in a lab.
                      my fav products:

Comment

Originally posted by Offandrunning View Post
                        Hi Dajewel

i have a slight issue......i have always had a short tappered cut.....my hair has grown pretty well, everywhere except in the back....the back nape is not growing at all

I have tried JBCO and a growth serum with sulfur, so far no good result.

I am thinking about wild growth oil, and was wondering what your thoughts were on this product, or if there is anything else you would recommend to get my hair growing....

thanks
                        a couple of questions:

does that part in the back itch a lot? did u use to suffer from really bad burns from relaxers or were tracks or wigs that tugged alot at that area?
                        my fav products:

Comment

Originally posted by dajewel View Post
                          a couple of questions:

does that part in the back itch a lot? did u use to suffer from really bad burns from relaxers or were tracks or wigs that tugged alot at that area?
                          yes that part of my head itches terrible, i have never worn weave or wigs. no really bad burns but i did have an area right in the middle of the nape that was bald for about the last 6 years when i was permed, since going natural i actually have hair there now...not much but not really the big bald area it use to be...

i am keeping it mosturized daily and sealing, not wearing a bonnet anymore swiched to a silk scarf that i tie in the font and doing scalp massages...not sure what else to try, but any recommendations you have i will welcome......

Comment

Hi Dajewel,

I review the ingredients list prior to purchasing any type of product for my tresses. With that being said, I am aware that alcohol is not good for hair. However, I recently heard that not all alcohol is bad for hair. I couldnt recall if this was from a credible source or not. But am I doing the right thing by staying away from products that has alcohol in it?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlyNikki App
                            "Be you...be true to you, whether society approves or not!"

Comment

Originally posted by Offandrunning View Post
                              yes that part of my head itches terrible, i have never worn weave or wigs. no really bad burns but i did have an area right in the middle of the nape that was bald for about the last 6 years when i was permed, since going natural i actually have hair there now...not much but not really the big bald area it use to be...

i am keeping it mosturized daily and sealing, not wearing a bonnet anymore swiched to a silk scarf that i tie in the font and doing scalp massages...not sure what else to try, but any recommendations you have i will welcome......
                              hey, there!!

i understand how u feel about not having hair grow in a particular region, as that happened to me some years ago. some years ago (i think 2008 or 2007) i got a fungus on my scalp that caused me to constantly scratch the area that ALL of my hair in the back of my head was gone (tip 1: stop scratching). i got the fungus from a beauty salon...so be careful if you are getting your done at the salon as there is a possibility that they are not cleaning/sanitizing the towels properly.

anyhoo, my hair was so short in the back of my head that people thought i had tracks, and just the tracks out so that it looked like a buzz cut. i didn't go the dermatologist because i did not have the best experience with them with my acne (i tried all prescriptions and the only thing that helped me for 6 years and counting is proactiv...the very same solution that the dermatologist persuaded me not to try) and i went to school to solve problems like this. i was determined to find out how to stop this naturally. i theorized that once i get the itching fixed that my hair will be begin to grow back.

so, for you, u have to add getting rid of the itchies into the mix in addition to wild growth oil. i haven't used wild growth oil, but its ingredients are optimum. wild growth oil is good for topically replenishing nutrients in addition to eating a well-balanced diet on the daily.

what could cause the itchies? extreme dryness, unbalanced scalp pH, fungus, psoriasis, etc. without a culture being done, we are unable to quickly determine the culprit (unless you get it done at your dermatologist). still, you can figure out the remedy, but it could take a lil time. i have found that out of all the remedies that i have implemented, that neem and amla powders mixed as a dc has helped tremendously in ridding the last of the stubburn fungus and stimulate the growth of hairs. i have seen that a scalp wash of acv and water does the trick.

keep me posted on ur success!
                              my fav products:

Comment

Working...
                              X