X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyonce's "Grown Woman"

Believe me when I say that a woman's body (no matter what size) and sensuality should be celebrated but does it make you "grown"? Personally, NO IT DOES NOT. It scares me to know that there are tweens and early teens who believe that being a grown woman or "how to get it like that" is to have a cute face and a booty so phat. To me, a "grown woman" does celebrate her body, sensuality and sexuality but doesn't overly flaunt it and gets thirsty (or conceited). A grown woman who's got it like that not only has beauty but intelligence and diligence. In the song it does sound like she hints towards confidence and being strong but I didn't notice anything else. To me, this song is playing on gender stereotypes, however, I am aware that songs like this is what the public wants.

I like it as a sexy song or a party song and I understand some of what it takes to be a woman but a 12-16 year old may take this song to heart and believe that outward appearance and sexuality is all it takes. I do think that parents have a responsibility here to inform their daughter's about what a "grown woman" does but I believe in personal responsibility too in educating yourself on what real women do or have done, in relation to social/educational/communal/political changes (and things of that nature).

This is my thought but listen to the song and tell me what do you think:
    http://youtu.be/OUjD_KWlr-g

Type: 4C (multi-textured)
    Density: Moses couldn't part it...
    Porosity: Low
    Strand Thickness: Coarse

I'm 16 and enjoy dancing to this song, imagining my life after high school or college. I don't take the song as defining a "Grown Woman" as being sexy and cute all over as in what the average "Sexy Figure" may be at this time. I take it through the Ms. Independent perspective. Knowing what life may bring me and that I am strong and smart enough to handle that certain situation.

I hope young girls aren't taking the message the wrong way as well. I hate it when that happens. Being independent is not about having a cute face and a big booty. Being Independent, or in this case a "Grown Woman" ,should be defined as a female who can manage her life without needing constant assistance, understanding and maintaining her lifestyle and standards, and having complete control over the decisions in their life ( knowing the consequences. ) In other words I totally agree with your second paragraph

If they get it misunderstood then they need to refer to Control by Janet Jackson That's my Jam!!!

Sent from my XT557 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

i never thought of it that way.. and i'm 24! i highly doubt that the tweens think of it that way. i do see where you're coming from though....

i remember being a child and knowing EVERY word to "too close" by next. and still never knowing what it meant until i was fully grown! "grown woman" has a banging beat. and it's beyoncÚ. that's all! lol take it from me, a middle school teacher 😊

Comment

Perfect example with that Next song. Im 25 and about 4 yrs ago it hit me like, I literally had no idea what I was singing about when I was singing that song verbatim. I just liked the song n chorus.

Originally posted by wutie View Post
        i never thought of it that way.. and i'm 24! i highly doubt that the tweens think of it that way. i do see where you're coming from though....

i remember being a child and knowing EVERY word to "too close" by next. and still never knowing what it meant until i was fully grown! "grown woman" has a banging beat. and it's beyoncÚ. that's all! lol take it from me, a middle school teacher 😊

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlyNikki App
        *Fortune Favors the BOLD*

Comment

Working...
        X