Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
losing weight is 80% proper eating....and 20% exercise Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • losing weight is 80% proper eating....and 20% exercise

    Sorry so long....

    So, I consider myself healthy and in decent shape (yes, round is a shape--lol), I'm in the Army and I work out usually 6 days a week, once in the morning and again in the evening. I am now doing cross fit and working with a personal trainer, 2 of the 6 days. My goal is to drop about 30 lbs. I just want to get back into a size 8, instead of my current 10 to 12.
    Now....
    my trainer said that weight loss is pretty much 80% diet because I can work out and still not see significant progress, if I'm eating junk (crickets). I love to snack and I am an inconsistent eater--skipping meals or over eating--- burning 3500 calories =1 lbs lost

    so.... my challenge...we talk about exercises and exercising, but not really stress the specifics of proper eating. I'm sure that there are some expert or at least more informed health conscious ppl here, so please respond.

    My trainer decimated my list of foods that I can eat and liquids that I drink. I'm curious about some other healthy food choices/substitutes--the choices that he gave me were (throw up sound) interesting, but I am integrating some of them into my repertoire.

    waiting to exhale....
    "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you"

    "No gem is ever polished without friction"




  • #2
    Originally posted by Symfony View Post
    Sorry so long....

    So, I consider myself healthy and in decent shape (yes, round is a shape--lol), I'm in the Army and I work out usually 6 days a week, once in the morning and again in the evening. I am now doing cross fit and working with a personal trainer, 2 of the 6 days. My goal is to drop about 30 lbs. I just want to get back into a size 8, instead of my current 10 to 12.
    Now....
    my trainer said that weight loss is pretty much 80% diet because I can work out and still not see significant progress, if I'm eating junk (crickets). I love to snack and I am an inconsistent eater--skipping meals or over eating--- burning 3500 calories =1 lbs lost

    so.... my challenge...we talk about exercises and exercising, but not really stress the specifics of proper eating. I'm sure that there are some expert or at least more informed health conscious ppl here, so please respond.

    My trainer decimated my list of foods that I can eat and liquids that I drink. I'm curious about some other healthy food choices/substitutes--the choices that he gave me were (throw up sound) interesting, but I am integrating some of them into my repertoire.

    waiting to exhale....
    Just wondering what were the substitutions he recommended? 😊

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm far from an expert on fitness and nutrition, but experience has taught me that the cleaner I eat, no processed foods, no simple carbs, no beef, etc that the weight just melts off of me with doing little to no exercise. Now with that being said, the nurse in me can't say exercise isn't just as important because its good for body, keeps the heart healthy, lowers cholesterol, & is a natural antidepressant :-)

      Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlyNikki App
      Big Chopped 7/17/2012


      LAST RELAXER APRIL 15, 2012

      Comment


      • #4
        Some people suggest 5 meals a day. I think that's impossible. I don't have enough hours in a day to eat that much.

        Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Some people suggest 5 meals a day. I think that's impossible. I don't have enough hours in a day to eat that much.

          Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App
          I eat 5 meals a day, and have done for a while now..its not impossible or difficult, i'm not sure how there wouldn't be enough hours in a day to do that. The key is to eat 5 SMALL meals, if your eating 5 large plates it defeats the point.

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe something as simple as a protein shake can make getting in those extra meals easier. I normally add berries and sneak in some leafy green as I'm not the biggest veggie fan. I try to keep mozzarella cheese( part skim) and sundried tomatoes on hand for a healthy snack. I've also given up gluten (most bread/crackers/cereal) which has been helpful. As of this morning I'm down 17.5 lbs since the beginning of the year. Good luck!
            All I want is to live and learn, dig and be dug in return- Langston Hughes


            Comment


            • #7
              I do stuff like cottage cheese, protein Smoothies, protein bars, little stuff like that.

              Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                I do stuff like cottage cheese, protein Smoothies, protein bars, little stuff like that.

                Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App
                Those count as meals..,think of it more as 3 meals 2 snacks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok I thought they meant meals like...big meals so I think I'm doing ok, I hope lol

                  Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Breezie24 View Post
                    Those count as meals..,think of it more as 3 meals 2 snacks
                    Aaaaah... that's helpful!

                    Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's very helpful

                      Sent from my LG-US670 using CurlyNikki App

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would say excercise is just as important as well. You have to burn calories in order for the weight to come off.

                        Eating 5 small meals a day is very easy to do. Like above poster said, 3 meals and 3 snacks. I was told by trainer not to go more than 3 hours without eating something. I usually don't get in the last snack, because I try not to eat after 7pm.

                        I have been doing this since mid December and have lost a total of 23 pounds.
                        [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][/URL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Khaymie View Post
                          I would say excercise is just as important as well. You have to burn calories in order for the weight to come off.

                          Eating 5 small meals a day is very easy to do. Like above poster said, 3 meals and 3 snacks. I was told by trainer not to go more than 3 hours without eating something. I usually don't get in the last snack, because I try not to eat after 7pm.

                          I have been doing this since mid December and have lost a total of 23 pounds.
                          I too can't go more than 3 hours without eating and I can't eat large meals- I suffer from hyperglycaemia. I literally fall asleep right after eating if Its a large portion, and I get jittery if I go too long without eating.
                          I'm a pseudo- vegetarian but my small meals tend to include a carb, protein, vegetable , and a small bit of fruit.

                          I don't really pay attention. To the not eating late, because the way I see it my body has no clue what time of the day it is lol..however I make sure its a light meal a d at least 1-2 hours before sleeping 😊

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hairlikebutta View Post
                            Just wondering what were the substitutions he recommended? 😊
                            As it was explained, suppose that you look at the calories that you want to stay within as money...If you want to spend only 1800 calories a day for instance, anything that will overextend you is to much and expose you to the potential for weight gain. So, if I eat carrots or celery and peanut butter and the total is like 50 calories (may not be accurate, but for the sake of this example) then, I have 1750 calories left to spend. If, I am at 1700 calories and a protein shake is 200 calories, then I either half the size and use water instead of skim milk, or leave it for another day.

                            He stated no juices or at least not that often due to the sugar and calories. Decrease portion sizes, eat oatmeal, seafood, eat a healthy breakfast because it is not healthy to skip it, Eat at least 4-5 small meals. avoid fried foods (no fried barn yard pimp), but if I insist on eating them, eat them once a month. Mozzarella cheese is ok avoid processed cheeses, eat a lot of veggies. Be careful of fruit because of the sugar, but do eat them in moderation, plain yogurt with added berries or granola; no soda, lots of water. Salads not overly loaded and add the dressing on the side and not smother the salad. Things like that.
                            "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you"

                            "No gem is ever polished without friction"



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Khaymie View Post
                              I would say excercise is just as important as well. You have to burn calories in order for the weight to come off.

                              Eating 5 small meals a day is very easy to do. Like above poster said, 3 meals and 3 snacks. I was told by trainer not to go more than 3 hours without eating something. I usually don't get in the last snack, because I try not to eat after 7pm.

                              I have been doing this since mid December and have lost a total of 23 pounds.
                              I agree, but the point of the caloric scale is to burn more than you put in or eat less--whether you exercise or not. In addition to my trainer, I had a sit down with a dietician and she echoed the same thing pretty much that proper eating is just as important. I just gotta figure out how to break my bad habits esp., since I staying 29 again for the 5th year. I know as a medical professional that genetics is also a factor. But she went into the whole break down of how the body processes food for energy-uses only what it needs, and she even hit on supplements.
                              Last edited by Symfony; 03-13-2013, 10:09 PM.
                              "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you"

                              "No gem is ever polished without friction"



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X