Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4U: All type 4 (A,B,C,D,E...) Curlies

Ladies,

What I have found in cruising various blogs, and forums is that our hair type is often over looked, and a lot of the advice out there quite frankly does not work on our hair. I BC'd about 6 weeks ago and since then I have become a serious product junky (spent $45 last night in whole foods purchasing items for the Kimmaytube recipe), with ok results sometimes, and others... Epic Fails.
    I get frustrated becuase I watch a lot of the you tube tutorials, and the ladies on there dont have a hair texture like mine (well some do, but you have to search for them). My hair is 4A in the front and 4B in the bag. No my hair does not curl magicaly at the sight of water, and moisture is a huge issue (keeping it). So, I thought I would create this thread for all type 4 curlies out there to discuss anything from the difficulty in mastering a good Wash N Go to product reviews, recomendations for a good youtube channel... etc.
    My first topic I am going to bring up is the art of the Wash N Go. I am producing an ok wash n go using eco styler. Oh yeah, note: When I first BCd I purchased ECO styler and it just sat on top of my hair. Now that my moisture issue is improving (not gone but better) my hair accepts ECO styler. Last night I Dcd with cholesterol, coconut and castor oil. Rinsed this morning and applied the Kimmayatube recipe and Eco. Well my hair is not dry or crunchy, but I have a very oily neck and ears. Needless to say I think I used too much coconut oil... and I did not use KK Knot today because I did not want to spend any more money... I just used some Jamaican Mango I had at home already... so I am not going to completley blame Kimmayatube. But the bottom line is my hair is not dry... its a start.
    So I want to hear all my 4 Curlies... whats your challenge, what products work for our hair, what do you love or hate? Denman brush; yes or no? Sound Off!
    Calliope
    Must Haves:
    Kimmaytube leave in conditioner mix
    Cheap Cholesterol Conditioner
    Coconut, Castor, Avacado, and Jojoba Oils

Last Perm: July 2011
    Big Chop: March 31, 2012

I've been doing the same thing. I see some pics and think that's my texture and then I find a different one that could be it. Can anyone tell me what type they see in my hair?

I tried some hello hydration as a leave in this morning, with Palmer's Shea butter, and Shea moisture hair milk. These are the best results I've gotten for my TWA/ WnG

Shea butter, and some
    Last edited by runninfree; 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: Big ole pics
    Last Relaxer: November 2011
    BC: May 17, 2012
    Now: Trying to figure out moisture
    Normal to high porosity

Comment

Originally posted by runninfree View Post

I've been doing the same thing. I see some pics and think that's my texture and then I find a different one that could be it. Can anyone tell me what type they see in my hair?

I tried some hello hydration as a leave in this morning, with Palmer's Shea butter, and Shea moisture hair milk. These are the best results I've gotten for my TWA/ WnG

Shea butter, and some
      I thought at one point I was 4C, however I went to a hair show and was classified as 4A/4B by a stylist. I am finding the more I deep condition and moisturize my hair, the more the curl pattern comes in. I am not all the way curlie (in some spots yes) but then I have little Afro Puffs mixed in with the curls.
      Calliope
      Must Haves:

Comment

I have some of the Hello Hydration... not really satisfied with the results, but it is a cheap co-wash that I use when I am in a hurrry.
        Calliope
        Must Haves:

Comment

Man these pics are huge! Sorry. I'm learning how to post with my Iphone. Also, I'm new to Natural Hair so I can't offer much. I don't even know my hair type yet!

Anywho. I went out and bought $30 worth of the Organic Olive Oil products because I knew my hair was dry and I was thinking about BC. Then I did the BC (a week ago) and had it twisted. I hate the products she used because it was extra oily when I touched it and they left my hair kinda hard. I washed that out and bought $30 worth of Shea Moisture products. I didn't see much difference. It was dry.

Then someone told me I needed to oil my scalp. I did. It itched. I washed that out. I read on here that I should do a lot of DC intially so I bought the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Deep sample. LOVED IT! Smelled great, left the hair soft, etc. I bought some Hello Hydration as a leave in. Was using olive oil to seal and then the Shea Moisture milk or creme.

Today I used HH and applied in 4 sections. Then I used some Palmer's Shea butter (it was actually the kind for the skin, but hey) on 4 sections, then sprayed some oils and used Shea moisture milk. This is the softest it's been and it doesn't look as dry as it has been.

It can only get better, because I was really worried for a few days. I contemplated some craziness like perm.
          Normal to high porosity

Comment

I would say all together I have spent about $300 on products in 6 weeks. I have found the cheapest products are great. I do like Uncle Funky's Daughter products and they are spendy so I lucked up on a good deal, however I only use those for special occasions. Keep Deep Conditioning... I think with our hair type the fear of over conditioning is not a worry because it is so hard to keep moisture in our hair.
            Calliope
            Must Haves:

Comment

I agree. I'm only going to buy 1 more thing...maybe 2. I want that Creme of Nature Argan Oil Deep Conditioner and maybe the steamer...and some shea butter. lol
              Normal to high porosity

Comment

I don't really get the hair typing, but I think I'm in that type 4 letter range somewhere.
                I'm braiding my hair over the next few days, so I don't really have a challenge now, other than dry scalp and Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier solves that. I tried my sister's modified denman brush and it did ok. I'm a stickler for ORS uplifting/creamy aloe shampoos and hair mayo. Shea butter mix, Garnier Fructis leave-in, Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose conditioner, and Aussie 3 minute miracle have been added since I've been in this heat.
                2nd time around: Last relaxer approx Jan 2007
                Totally kinky-coily since 2008
                Henna head

Comment

I love Nexus Humectress shampoo & conditioner & ms Jessie's baby buttercream keeps my hair moisturized. My challenge is length retention & I really haven't found a YouTuber with my hair type but I do like watching Kairox146, Taren916, Bargainprincess & Naptural85

Comment

I'm a 4-something... I don't really know the letter but I'm not heavily into the typing system anyway... I just was healthy hair That being said, I love the As I Am leave-in and the coconut co-wash. I think they work pretty well. I usually seal with olive oil. The As I Am Moisture Milk is also good (sample) but I haven't purchased it yet; I've exceeded my product budget for this month. Ha! brought some items to make my own products but that was a waste! I'd rather just purchase items! Lol!

I like this thread though and I'd love to hear which products work for our 4- something type hair!

Comment

Sealing

Oh, Yeah this is another concept I am having trouble with as well. This morning I rinsed the conditioner out of my hair, applied the Kammaytube leave in and then Eco styler. Hmnnn? First of all I had oil running down my neck all day, but that is my fault because I thought the recipe called for 2 tbs of castor oil and 2 tbs of Jojoba oil; it only calls for 2 tsp of each. Well anyway I thought I was "sealing" my hair, but by the time I got off work it was dry and none of the oil absorbed. What did I do wrong?
                      Calliope
                      Must Haves:

Comment

Hey ladies y'all should also check.out the 4c wash n go thread there are different 4s therE AS WELL AS TECHNIQUES n product usage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Maybe your hair just needs more moisture. 4-something hair usually needs a tad more moisture. Do you have a trusty spritzer bottle? I carry one sometime with water, oil and a little conditioner. That seems to help my hair. I had a sample of the As I Am hair milk and I love it! I'm going to buy it next month.... Just a few my days! My product budget was reached this month. Lol!

Originally posted by Calliope View Post
                          Oh, Yeah this is another concept I am having trouble with as well. This morning I rinsed the conditioner out of my hair, applied the Kammaytube leave in and then Eco styler. Hmnnn? First of all I had oil running down my neck all day, but that is my fault because I thought the recipe called for 2 tbs of castor oil and 2 tbs of Jojoba oil; it only calls for 2 tsp of each. Well anyway I thought I was "sealing" my hair, but by the time I got off work it was dry and none of the oil absorbed. What did I do wrong?

Comment

My biggest problems used to be dryness, but now that I know what works for my hair my hair is never dry. Don't focus so much on typing, it's really not that useful lol. Focus more on hair texture, hair strand size, porosity and your sensitivity to protein and other ingredients.

I could never do a wash n go before, but now that I have A BIT, just a bit of length... I can now find a way to make it cute by shingling the product in.

@Calliope It sounds like you have low porosity hair just like me, product sits on top of your hair and generally takes longer for it to soak in.

Comment

Originally posted by Calliope View Post
                              Sealing alone doesn't work for me. It seems like after I put a leave in and then oil to seal my hair just gets instantly dry. I have to put a cream styler in to get any soft hair. I am in the 4 something range and my kids are late 3 (still trying to get things to work for them too). It seems we are not oil sealing people.

Comment

Working...
                              X