X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 10 yr old wants dreads...any intake

My 10 yr old has been wantn dreads since she was 6...her and her sister who was 9 at the time. Now she is 13 n is not feeling the dreads anymore cuz she like her hair crack...i told them if they get 13 n still want em i'd let em get dreads!! But my 10 yr old is more into them than my 13 yr old was and so everyday she ask if she can get em..im afraid she will get older and not like the dreads anymore which means we'll have to cut her hair again!! Anyone had any experience wit this

Iphone junky😜

Maybe you should let her get them. Ive read on here that some of the women on here have taken out their locs without cutting... but i would research(google) it first because im not 100% sure as to how that whole process goes. HTH and good luck:-)
    BC: 5/8/12 never felt more beautiful<3
    Last relaxer:April 2010

Comment

Well, I had dreads for three and a half years when I was about her age. From age 9 to 12. I wanted them so bad. I liked them but then they just got so boring to me and I wasn't too fond of them anymore...so I cut them off and got a perm and my hair was only about an inch long. But it grew back fast (only for me to cut it and go natural lol).

In my opinion I'd let her get dreads, because she's young and if she figures out if she wants to keep them when she gets older then she still has those options...

And make sure she is not easily bothered by others opinions, because having dreads in middle school was not easy...because kids can make ignorant and mean comments.

Comment

Let her do it. I had locs for a few years and I used a metal comb like a flea comb to comb them out. It took days but if she ever decides she doesn't want them she can comb them out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using CurlyNikki App
        follow me on twitter @caramel_c

Comment

Let her get the locs. Just prep her in letting her know that it may take a while for her hair to loc. once she has the in n they r loc'd the way she likes n she doesn't like them u can always take them out with very good detangling condish n metal tail of rat comb.
          Sent from my iPad using CurlyNikki
          my fav products:
          evco, evoo, macademia nut oil, castor oil, aloe vera gel, water, shea butter

DaJewel's 4 Type Hair Journey to wl by Dec 12, 2012

"come look at my computer. is sumn wrong. is got ah apple in it. it is bit out of." has me dwl everytime!!!

Comment

Thanks ladeez!! She has 5 cousins whom 4 r boys that have dreads and she is so awwed by them..she's always playn in them askn questions about them. She is very strong minded and she cud care less what ppl have to say to her and about her...she's not easily intimidated lol. But i think i am def goin to let her do it because she refuses to let us put any more texturizers in her hair and i think it will b healthy for her hair. Her cousin whom have dreads and does hair is prepared to do them for her and she told he cousin "if i have to b bald for a lil while to get my dreads that will b ok and i dare anybody to say something" lol...so i think she's ready! And i didnt kno u cud comb them out..wow!! Thanks so much for the feedback ladeez

Iphone junky😜

Comment

Originally posted by DarknLuvlee79 View Post
              My 10 yr old has been wantn dreads since she was 6...her and her sister who was 9 at the time. Now she is 13 n is not feeling the dreads anymore cuz she like her hair crack...i told them if they get 13 n still want em i'd let em get dreads!! But my 10 yr old is more into them than my 13 yr old was and so everyday she ask if she can get em..im afraid she will get older and not like the dreads anymore which means we'll have to cut her hair again!! Anyone had any experience wit this

Iphone junky😜

Tell her no! she's 10! she doesnt need a say in this! you specifically said if she's 13 and still wants them she can get them. But she's 10, right now is not the best time to let her make such desicions that effect her entire life. I love dreads and I think there beautiful but stand your ground ok...today she may want dreads...tommorow she may not...today she wants a tattoo..tomorrow she may not. Dont make her make tht decision.. not yet.

Comment

In my opinion, you should let her. She is not asking for something that can't undone and its a small thing in the grand scheme of things. Just tell her she has to take care of them. (hmm I sound like she's getting a pet, lol). There are going to be bigger and more important battles you two will fight without hair being the first major one. If you let her do this, she will be more willing to come to you with more important decisions. She's not asking for a tat or piercing...yet. Check out Lady Judah blog here in the blog thread, she had locs for years and I think she had them while in her teens.
                Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
                Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
                Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
                Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
                Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

As a licensed natural hair stylist & loctician I will give my input .....

I don't advise children younger than 8 or 9 to start Locs because their head is not fully formed yet. However if she is 10 I would advise u should take her to a natural hair stylist or cosmetologist to see if she could start her Locs. Just as a consultation, you don't have to get them done there. Usually consultations are free. At my salon we charge 10$.

There's a lot that goes in to a loc start. Its just a matter of twisting anymore. There are special techniques a professional would know to ensure that her hair at the beginning stages will be great.

Just my opinion! : )

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Thnx ladeez...we told her we will allow her another 6 mnths for her hair to grow out becuz she has not had a perm in 6 mnths n if her hair looks healthy enuff and she still want em we will do it. And yes i def will let a licensed beautician look at her hair and strt em off becuz her cousin is the licensed beautician and her, her husband and their 3 boys have dreads. Thnks for the advice.

Iphone junky😜

Comment

I agree that you should wait till she gets a little older ... To see if it is a phase or something she really wants. If she is not the get borred easily type then it should be fine...

Sent from my SGH-T499 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

My little cousin wanted dreads when we were about 11 years old.
                        Of course her mom, my aunt, told her no because it was too permanent.
                        She kept asking but my aunt wasn't changing her mind.
                        My mom suggested keeping her hair braided in singles for a while to see if she got bored of it.
                        My cousin wore singles (box braids) for about 2 years.
                        During the time, she had her hair redone like every 3 to 4 months.
                        All the girls at our school started wearing weave, and guess what, my cousin now wanted long hair.

I'm saying all this to say make her wear box braids until she turns 13 (since that's the age you told she could get dreads) to see if she changes her mind or if it's just a fad.

Comment

I say let her do it and if she doesn't like it than cut them off simple

Ooor you could get her the dreads extensions

Sent from Naturallycoco 🎀

Comment

I'd let her. Locs aren't permanent and can be combed out. I've done it twice. A lot people are against children getting locs but they're fine with them getting relaxers (not speaking on anyone here). A little backwards if you ask me. Yes, she's a child but she's not a baby and you will be there for guidance. Do your research so that you can help her along. There's people who've combed theirs out after 10 years. Cutting them is a choice, not a requirement.
                            sigpic

Comment

wow I never knew locs could be combed out because EVERY one ik says oh yeah you have to cut them or They had locs and cut them off.!! But do what you think is best if she really wants them. It will be fun...How long is her hair..u kno they have weave dreads lol you can twist them somehow like dreads into you hair, iknew someone that had them and they looked good and natural

Sent from my SGH-T499 using CurlyNikki App
                              Last edited by Naptural95; 07-25-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X