X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over moisturised or lack of protein?

I been posting questions and looking for answers for weeks as to why my hair retains no moisture and is dry no matter what, and I feel like I've narrowed it down to the 2 in the title.

Now i been cowashing daily with vo5, using Cantu leave it daily, spritzing my hair with water and vo5 multiple times a day and usually sealing with jbco or tea tree oil. I'll shampoo about one a week with a sulfate free shampoo and deep condition once a week.
    I just bought Shea butter and evoo now for sealing and KCKT as a moisturizer leave in. Still hair is ALWAYS crunchy and dry and holds no moisture.

Do I need to cut back on getting my hair wet period or get a protein treatment. Or what are some suggestions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

Seems like you are doing too much... and there is this wonderful thread in the general section called random hair questions. You can post all your hair questions in it and chances are a lot of persons with knowledge will answer you. You should really use it
    I'm a lil bit too obsessed with my natural hair journey

Last relaxer = September 3, 2012
    BC = December 21, 2012
    Staples so far
    VOfreaking5
    Aloe Vera [fresh]
    Glycerin babeh

Comment

I would suggest a protein treatment, but what you really need to be doing is deep conditioning. You should cut down on the washing of your hair as well. I co-wash/deep condition, moisturize and seal my hair once a week. I also have low porosity and my hair stay moisturized the entire week. Why do you wash your hair so often? I work out 5-6 days a week and still only wash it once. It doesn't smell or look dirty during the week. So I would suggest cutting out the shampoo to maybe every other week and co-washing once/twice a week.

The constant co-washing and shampooing is stripping your hair of its natural oils. Without DC you aren't properly replenishing those oils/moisture. Also try setting your hair while its damp. The whole purpose of using a leave in and oil is to keep the water/moisture in your hair. If there isn't any water in your hair then there's nothing that's being sealed.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

I would say if you're leaving in that V05 stop for a while then see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Tea tree should be used with a carrier oil. It is usually used to treat the skin/scalp not the hair.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using CurlyNikki App
          I want my hair to look good, feel good, and grow. The best combinations of science and nature should make that happen right.

Comment

I'm cowasing so much because I exercise and sweat almost everyday and also because my hair is constantly dry so it's just become a reflex to moisturize my hair. Should I use a little water then the kckt leave in instead of a cowash? And should I seal with evoo, Shea butter or jbco? I have alot of stuff, I'm just using it all wrong apparently.

Comment

I never cowash. Instead, to refresh my curls daily, I just wet it when I'm in the shower, use my fingers in a shampoo motion and seal with silicones.

Regarding your products, granted it's trial and error to see what works for your hair, but you also have to know the benefit of what you're using.
              Wen...nothing else!

Comment

What kind of silicones and do you recommend using oils at all?

Comment

You probably need to clarify more. The Cantu has ingredients that will seal in the moisture, as well as seal out any more from penetrating. So, removing it before applying more moisturzing products will help.
                  sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
                  BC 11/15/09
                  NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
                  My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

I haven't used oils since I started using silicones. The best silicone serum that I have used is Cantu Super Shine and Silk. I get days of moisture retention, no frizz or knots and a great sheen.

Any shampoo, sulfate or non-sulfate, will remove silicones. Cowashing doesn't remove them.
                    Wen...nothing else!

Comment

I don't have any silicones, just evoo, jbco and my Shea butter mix for sealing. I'm also out of the Cantu and just have the kckt that everyone talks about. Should I clarify, condition, add the kckt then seal with an oil and basically not let water touch it for a few days or what? My hair is dry and crunchy which makes me want to cowash every day, but apparently just letting it be dry eventually leads back to healthier hair that retains moisture longer. Is that right?

Comment

No.

Our hair loves moisture and water. It shouldn't be dry.

Crunchy hair means you are overusing a product. Hair doesn't get crunchy on its own.

How often do you clarify and why? Have you tried using a moisturizing shampoo? I ask because I used a clarifying shampoo (after I had a mess of products on my hair) and I didn't follow up with the matching conditioner. My hair was dry and my scalp was cheese grater itchy.

As for your regimen, I do something completely different, so I can't comment.
                        Wen...nothing else!

Comment

I agree with honnybrown it might be that you're overusing a product- try simplifying your regimen to just spritzing with water only and sealing with your shea butter mix once or twice a day. You might also want to try baggying a few nights a week, it really helps with moisture retention.

Also have you looked into your hair porosity?

Comment

I'm asking because I know my regimen is completely wrong. I use cream of nature argan oil sulfate free moisture and shine shampoo and vo5 conditioner. Shampoo about once a week. I also have Aussie moist shampoo but stopped using it because I heard sulfate were bad for low porosity or something, probably not all true though.

But what should I do to get my hair started back on the right track because anything I put in my hair now dries hard, even plain water.

Comment

Personally, I don't use sulfate-free shampoos because they are harsher and drying on my hair. I use a moisturizing sulfate shampoo daily to weekly, depending on what my hair needs and my hair is never, ever dry.

All the products that you use and quit using, research the correct way to use them as well as the benefits of using them. Use good, unbiased resources (such as NaturalHaven.com) as opposed to Pork Chop's sister on YT.
                              Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Working...
                              X