X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military and Natural Hair

Hi guys, first let me introduce myself. I am 19 y/o. I graduated in 2010 and went on to college in Wisconsin. After my first year I moved to NC where my natural hair journey began. My last relaxer was June 2011. I BC'd December 24, 2011 and I'm loving it (not so much at first!). But, I have officially been sworn into the Air Force and I leave May 15. I'm so excited to see where this takes me. So I was wondering if all you natural ladies who are in, have been in, or even know someone who is in the military to share your natural hair experiences. I'd love to know how basic training was. Anything would be nice to know! Thanks for reading, I know it was a bit long :P oh here's a quick pic of my hair BTW

I'm in the Air Force. I've been in for 7 1/2 yrs now. I just started transitioning in 2011. But when I was in basic I wore my hair braided. I didn't really know how to do my hair when I was that age (17/18). So looking back that was the best option for me to keep me from looking a HAM lol.

You probably won't have a lot of time for too many braid outs/twist outs so you may want to perfect the wash and go. Bring enough products, hair bands and elastic headbands but don't bring TOO much stuff because you may not have a lot of space to store it.

Good luck with your career and have a good time at basic!

Comment

Haha thanks for replying and yes I may struggle tryin to pick only a few products with me. And my wngs have gotten a bit quicker.
      But wow you have been in for awhile. What is your job? And how many years did you enlist for?
      My job title is engineering apprentice and I'm only initially doing 4 years . I'm excited and nervous for this.....ESPECIALLY basic training
      X-/

Comment

I'm in the national guard and when ever I have drill I throw on a wig.

Sent from my MB865 using CurlyNikki App
        BC 2/10/12

Comment

I'm in the Air Force too, almost 4years in. I would suggest holding off on braids until you get to your tech school; one of our element leaders had some in and she ended up taking them out after a week or so. Plus, trying to wash those after being in the dirt at warrior week will be practically impossible lol.
          I pretty much,agree with the previous poster. Just bring headbands, gel
          PROVERBS 3:5-6

BLOGS (yes, I have two)!!
          http://allinhishands.tumblr.com
          http://staringinthelookingglass.blogspot.com

Comment

Things like that. If I remember correctly, most of my hair accessories had to fit in a gladware container, so don't bring too much. What's your actual AFsc? If its anything on the flight line, I can give you some more tips there, because I work on the flight line too.

Best of luck in basic
            PROVERBS 3:5-6

BLOGS (yes, I have two)!!
            http://allinhishands.tumblr.com
            http://staringinthelookingglass.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you guys for responding! And I believe it is just called engineering. There isn't a specific type. At my recruiters office, I read a description of it and I'd be drawing floor plans and stuff like that for new constructions.

Comment

Hi!! I've been in almost 5 years now. I went thought with relaxed hair do I wore pony tales all the time. Your hair has to fit under the hat so if you can find someone's military get do it do u can get good and coming up with hair styles that work for u.

☆;:*:;☆;:*:;☆;:*:;☆;:*:;☆
                1 Feb 2012 Natural

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny_Gabby View Post
                  Hi!! I've been in almost 5 years now. I went thought with relaxed hair do I wore pony tales all the time. Your hair has to fit under the hat so if you can find someone's military get do it do u can get good and coming up with hair styles that work for u.

1 Feb 2012 Natural
                  Thanks for the advice! . Hopefully my hair will be able to fit when go to basic. Im debating whether or not I should get a sew in for those couple of months. Hmmmmnm :P

Comment

That may be a good idea.

1 Feb 2012 Natural

Comment

When I went to basic training I got micro braids and I took them out after two weeks, they were putting too much tension on my edges, so I just slicked my hair back and wore a bun the rest of the time..it was funny cause alot of girls in my flight wanted to touch my hair cause they had never seen anyone with natural hair before

Comment

I'm in the Army. Been in 5 years almost. Idk, how the AF does it but we didn't have enough time to do much with our hair. I kept mine braided the whole way through basic, a lot of us females did. It wasn't until the last phase we gained personal time and could do something decent with our hair.

You'll have fun in basic! stay motivated and remember you're getting paid to get fit, learn, and build life long relationships

Comment

I so need this. I'm sooooo on the fence of joining the AF. But the fraidy cat inside is getting to me. Somebody coax me into it please!

EL-NL-SL-APL-BSL

Comment

I'm a police but I'm considering joining the airforce. Thing is now I have two children so it would be so much harder. When I was in the police academy I wore a bun so my hat could fit on but I was relaxed then. Now that I'm transitioning I rock a nice puff

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by cammy View Post
                              I'm in the Army. Been in 5 years almost. Idk, how the AF does it but we didn't have enough time to do much with our hair. I kept mine braided the whole way through basic, a lot of us females did. It wasn't until the last phase we gained personal time and could do something decent with our hair.

You'll have fun in basic! stay motivated and remember you're getting paid to get fit, learn, and build life long relationships
                              Hey I never looked at basic training that way! Lol I'll keep that in mind the first night im there lol. And yeah I'm on the fence for getting braids or something like that......decisions lol

Comment

Working...
                              X