X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Collins, CO

Any curlies out there know of any natural hair salons in Fort Collins? I'm getting married in July and want to be pampered before the wedding.

You're in Fort Collins too?! Hi! I never thought I would see another FC curly on here. Im sorry, I cant help you out with the salon locations, the only natural professional I know is in Denver. I was just so excited to see someone from the area on the forums. Congratulations on the wedding! Are you here for school?
    Last Realxer: July 2, 2011
    BC Date: 11/21/2011

Comment

Hi! Unfortunately I just moved to Tacoma,WA but lived in Greeley for the past 5 years. I was there for graduate school and moved when I graduated. There are a few naturals at UNC but I didn't think there were any in foco. Do you plan on staying in the area?

Comment

I lived in Greeley for 7 yrs.....that was way before going natural. I love Colorado!!!

Comment

Colorado is a beautiful place, but I wanna get out and see new things. I graduated with my BS last May, and have just been working while I wait for my bf to finish. I've applied to start grad school in the fall at UC Davis and oregon state, but i also applied to CSU again as a back up.

There aren't many naturals here, and I've had to go super simple on the products since it seems we're always the last to get anything on the ground and my post-college budget couldnt handle all those shipping fees. What did you get your degree in at UNC?

Comment

I agree with simple regimens. I relied on Sally's, target, and sprouts/sunflower market for the products that I didn't make. If you haven't been to the health food stores, definitely check them out. Even whole foods carries natural hair products!

How exciting that you're applying to graduate school! I used to be the asst director of McNair at UNC so I'm always happy to see students excel. I got my PhD in school psychology at UNC. It was a hard 5 years but a very wise decision and investment.

Comment

What area are you pursuing for grad school?

Comment

Yay!! thats awesome. Props to you for completing the PhD. I've heard many a horror story about getting that dissertation complete. What was your thesis about? They got rid of the McNair program two years before I started, or I would definitely have participated. I've applied for the Master's program in Food Science and Tech at UC Davis, the Master's program in Microbiology at Oregon State, and then the Food Science program here at CSU. I really wanted to apply for the Molecular/Cell bio program, but I sadly missed the deadline.

I like Whole Foods more for the natural stuff just because Sprouts is a kind of out of the way. I got a bag of flax seeds and made my own gel from Whole Foods. It was...interesting haha. I only use one commercial product (Loreal Ever sleek leave in), and everything else I either make my self (bentonite clay for cleansing, shea butter mix for sealing/hold) or use as is (oils, glycerin, etc).

So what are your plans now that you're in Tacoma Dr. Ct?

Comment

I had to lol at your flaxseed experience, only because that's the same way I felt! I made it and then never used it- too slimy for me. I use a few things that I make myself like hair cream with Shea, oil mixes, and aloe Vera spritz but I buy gel, shampoo and condish. I bet you save alot of money by not buying products. What do you use to keep your hair moist? My hair really suffered when we lived there from the dryness.

It seems like you applied to a variety of programs so I hope you get a few offers sometimes if you contact the person reviewing the applications, they'll let you submit one late. I'm a school psychologist in Tacoma and work at a middle and elementary school. I'm also working on postdoc hours so that I can do private practice. Do you have family in CO or friends? I liked Fort Collins/Greeley but I definitely missed being around black people. My fiancÚ is white and he even noticed that there weren't many black people.

Comment

Man, that flaxseed was crispy crunchy in my hair. Flakes and super-shrikage everywhere, but at least I tried. Funny story though, my bf was making meatballs only to discover we didnt have eggs for binding. So instead, he boiled some flaxseeds and used the goop. Girl, they were delicious! Lol.

And yes, haha, there are not really a lot of us out here, hence my excitement when I first saw your post. I was born and raised in Denver, then moved to Fort Collins for school, so I'm kind of used to it. Only close family here (my dad, my siblings, and my nephews), and the rest are in Cali and the east coast. The dryness here is a tricky obstacle. Im sure your hair is much happier in Tacoma. DCing regularly and using the LOC method has helped a lot for me, and having a spray bottle handy with water and glycerin is a must. I would cowash more often if i could, but my hair is really coily, with a mix of thick and thin strands, and 1) I dont have time to wet-set my hair in a twist out every 3-4 days and 2) My strands tangle/break easily if manipulated, so hopping in and out the shower is a no-go. I want to try using the greenhouse method again too. I used it on my TWA, but stoppped as my hair got longer. From your pic, it looks like you've got some nice growth. How long has it been since you cut it?

I tried talking with the admissions people at the MCB department, especially because I know most of them from when I was still an undergrad, but they said they couldnt since I was asking so late (the deadline was Jan 1st, I talked to them Feb 2...oops). But I'm hoping it all works out.

I have so much respect admiration with anyone that works with kids. Im not really good with munchkins (even though I wish I was) and I think its neat that some people just have that talent. Sounds like you have a busy schedule with the postdoc hours too. What exactly do you do for that? Do you assist with academic research? Other practices?

Comment

Hey! I hope your enjoying the long weekend, I know I am

I just had my one year anniversary Feb 12 and I transitioned for 5 months. For my anniversary I got a professional trim at a natural hair salon in Seattle and to my surprise, I didn't need that much taken off. I'm a little over 6 inches all over. I'm doing everything I can to grow my hair for the wedding! How long have you been natural? Do you feel like your bf is "the one"?

Here's a pic of my hair when I left the salon. Very tall but cute Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ooo, I like it! And congrats on making it to year one! Did she blow it out to cut it? I BCd back in Nov of 2011 after transitioning for 4 1/2 months. I'm going to try and put up a pic of a stretched twist out.

Attachment

Hope that worked. And girl yes, I had a fantastic weekend. Went to Vegas to celebrate my bf's sister's 21st. Spent all my money, lol. And I think he's a keeper. We've been together for about a 2 1/2 yrs now. We've discussed marriage, and he's pretty down for it, but I still get nervous thinking about it. He said he would wait until I was ready though. He's really sweet.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using CurlyNikki App
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm so jealous about your weekend! I have yet to visit Vegas but my friends all say the same thing: don't stay too long and bring lots of money! Your bf sounds like a keeper and really there's no rush. Me and my fiancÚ were together for 2.5 years before getting engaged. For some that's long an other too short but it was perfect timing for us. We, like you and your boo, met in school (grad school). I think it was good bc we both knew that an education was a priority so neither of us could get mad when exams rolled around and one of us was MIA o_O!

I love your curls, it looks like we have similar hair types. My stylist was a man, which was a surprise, and he washed, conditioned, and blow dried my hair before trimming AND did a hair consult before the entire process. I am very pleased with the results and can't believe it only took an hour. Chile it takes me just an hour to wash/condition and deranged half of my head! He only took off 1/4 of an inch but I think that's bc I usually trim my own hair every 2-3 months so it wasn't that bad. I know there isn't anywhere to go in Fort Collins but I wish you could have that experience. It was nice. I wish we had met when I lived there, we could have lots to chat about!

Comment

Well dont I feel silly for assuming. Im impressed with the finishing time, and the fact that he sat down at spoke with you before you even got in the chair. That is quality work right there, especially since nothing felt too hot or was pulled too tight either. I know I'll find something once I get out of this state. I wish we could have had the chance to get together too. But, you never know what could happen right?

Oh, btw, I was accepted to UC Davis!! Im going to thier recruiting weekend next week! My Dad was really proud.

Comment

Congratulations! Davis is an awesome school and its great you got accepted, even if you choose to go elsewhere Shoot, I'm proud of you!

I was also impressed by the service. I was nervous that I would leave with heat damage but I already washed and I'm all twisted up with no issues!

Well I think we should keep in touch especially since I will be in the area in July. I hope you're not off to graduate school by then :/ Keep me updated on your acceptances.

Comment

Working...
                              X