X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kool-aid

So back in my high school days we used to dye our hair with koolaid. When I first began my naturally journey I dyed the front part with red koolaid mixed in conditioner. Although in the bowl it was ketchup red after I rinsed it outit was beautiful burgundy/maroon color...probably due to my natural black hair color. I didn't experience any set backs. I made sure to add more moisture to this area. Online I read the color would last amonth. But maybe because I left it in all day the color lasted longer....the colored stayed until I cut it off when I was scissor happy and doing trims once a month! Anyways thes is just an alternative to actual hair dye. I plan to do it again probably the same red. I'd be scare rouse ice blue or lemon-lime. Anywho I used a cherry and strawberry packet about 1/2 c of conditioner and maybe a teaspoon of vinegar (helps the color stain your hair better). But if someone does therir entire head of course you would need more. I applied from roots to end. Put a shower cap on...ended up stuffing a few paper towels around the perimeter bc it was dripping. I rinsed after the day was over and did a deep cond. it was so beautiful...gna look for a picture to post. But yea I have 4c hair and this option did just fine for my hair
    Natural since Sept 2010 (July if count the two perms I sweated out in the Houston heat)

International and natural.....Inter-N-A-T-U-R -A-L

****One Day*****

Sounds so cool. Hope you find a picture.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by internatural View Post
      So back in my high school days we used to dye our hair with koolaid. When I first began my naturally journey I dyed the front part with red koolaid mixed in conditioner. Although in the bowl it was ketchup red after I rinsed it outit was beautiful burgundy/maroon color...probably due to my natural black hair color. I didn't experience any set backs. I made sure to add more moisture to this area. Online I read the color would last amonth. But maybe because I left it in all day the color lasted longer....the colored stayed until I cut it off when I was scissor happy and doing trims once a month! Anyways thes is just an alternative to actual hair dye. I plan to do it again probably the same red. I'd be scare rouse ice blue or lemon-lime. Anywho I used a cherry and strawberry packet about 1/2 c of conditioner and maybe a teaspoon of vinegar (helps the color stain your hair better). But if someone does therir entire head of course you would need more. I applied from roots to end. Put a shower cap on...ended up stuffing a few paper towels around the perimeter bc it was dripping. I rinsed after the day was over and did a deep cond. it was so beautiful...gna look for a picture to post. But yea I have 4c hair and this option did just fine for my hair
      You have my curiosity piqued! I keep looking at dye alternatives because I want to play with a bit of color. Did it irritate your skin or scalp at all?

Comment

I also used KoolAide back in the day & have been thinking about using it on my twa.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlyChemist94 View Post
          You have my curiosity piqued! I keep looking at dye alternatives because I want to play with a bit of color. Did it irritate your skin or scalp at all?
          No it didn't irrate it. Now that I actually take good care of my hair I'd probably moisturize my hair more then I did then...which is why I mix with cond when I put it in. And the acv helps it stain your hair. But it will rinse out. The longer you leave it on the longer your color will stay, but it will rinse out some the fist couple times you wash. I did the front of my hair and used two packs of koolaid. Cherry and strawberry. Not sure what color you want. But in the past I've used ice blue or blue raspberry (for blue) and then add cherry when I did purple. My hair was permed them so you could really notice the colors. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
          Natural since Sept 2010 (July if count the two perms I sweated out in the Houston heat)

****One Day*****

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnteCox View Post
            I also used KoolAide back in the day & have been thinking about using it on my twa.
            I tried while transitioning since I was going to eventually cut the perm off. And it took to my natural hair nicely! Here's a picture of the color it came out to be (but ipthe picture is not of me)Attachment
            Attached Files

****One Day*****

Comment

did you ever get caught in the rain or anything? ive been wanting to try this but i always wonder if it will run lol ...
              also does it get on your clothes? i used to have my hair dyed red at the salon (a temporary) and before long all my collars were stained...

Comment

Originally posted by curlyflcutie View Post
                did you ever get caught in the rain or anything? ive been wanting to try this but i always wonder if it will run lol ...
                also does it get on your clothes? i used to have my hair dyed red at the salon (a temporary) and before long all my collars were stained...
                I don't remember any rain...I gre up in Arizona so it hardly rained lol. But after I rinsed it out the initial time it didn't run onto my clothes at all. Just how it stains your fingers it stains your hair. But it won't rub off like temp colors. You can look on YouTube for it. I'll post a link to a good video in a few

****One Day*****

Comment

I think I'm going to try this tonight. I've been wanting to change my hair color for a while, but I refuse to pay $75 to go sit in the salon. This should be a nice alternative for me..

Sent from my PantechP8010 using CurlyNikki App
                  Shop:YOURAVON. com/irionarce

Comment

I used to do this in high school too! It always turned out great!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I actually did this a year ago, but I bleached my hair first and it was relaxed... I was thinking of using kool aid again as a fun way to spice up my twa but i was skeptic cause I always bleached before and I really don't want to damage my hair yet.... But i will try this when school opens up again, I wish they sold freaking blue kool aid here. I always wanted blue hair
                      I'm a lil bit too obsessed with my natural hair journey

Last relaxer = September 3, 2012
                      BC = December 21, 2012
                      Staples so far
                      VOfreaking5
                      Aloe Vera [fresh]
                      Glycerin babeh

Comment

How do you dye your hair with kool-aid?!

Comment

Mix sugar free kool aid n conditioner and put it on the hair and let it sit. Some go under the dryer, I let mine stay over night. Mine barely showed and turned my hands and hair stuff red for a couple weeks.

Originally posted by Itsrenee View Post
                          How do you dye your hair with kool-aid?!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by ebonysimone View Post
                            Mix sugar free kool aid n conditioner and put it on the hair and let it sit. Some go under the dryer, I let mine stay over night. Mine barely showed and turned my hands and hair stuff red for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using CurlyNikki App
                            Add a bit of ACV to it so it'll stain your hair. And I keep mine in over night too. I wrapped it in plastic wrap. Then a shower cap bc I put a paper towels on the edges of the plastic wrap so it won't drip all over my pillow. Next morning I rinse and style as usual.

****One Day*****

Comment

Originally posted by internatural View Post
                              Add a bit of ACV to it so it'll stain your hair. And I keep mine in over night too. I wrapped it in plastic wrap. Then a shower cap bc I put a paper towels on the edges of the plastic wrap so it won't drip all over my pillow. Next morning I rinse and style as usual.
                              How much ACV do you use with a pack of kool aid?

Comment

Working...
                              X