Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm ready to give up this natural hair journey!!!

I've been on again off again natural since I was a freshman in college. I'm now 28, graduated, with a two year old son. I went natural again in May because I couldn't afford to go to the salon every week. Plus my hair had fallen out VERY BAD!!!! So I cut it all off and went natural. I bought a gang of stuff!!!! And nothing seemed to make my hair soft and moisturised... Then I found Shea Moisture for dry and damaged hair and it was prefect!!! I guess I got over confident because I colored my hair (I figured since my hair was feeling better and stronger that it was ready...so wrong).
    My hair is now dry as a fire bush. I use the Shea moisture... Dunk my hair in water everyday, use grape seed oil...and I am at my wits end. I am ready to just go back to perms since I can now afford it.
    I am just so frustrated right now.
    The nape of my hair is starting to thin out. I'm dang near in tears now cause I just want my hair to be right. I think it's great that so many women are doing so well at this natural hair thing but maybe this just isn't for everybody.
    This 4c whatever hair...is so dry I deep condition with Giovanni and it's awesome but i soon lose the moisture within 24 hrs. I feel like I need something just for daily use to help my hair because I am truly at my wits end

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlyNikki App

Noooooo...say it aint so.
    Dont give up mama

If your hair feels dry bag it over night with any and every oil you see. Do it as many nights as you see fit until you notice that your hair is moistorized again. I am a big gel head but I make sure to put alot of oils under my gel so that my hair doesnt dry out.

Or try a weave or a wig, dont give in to the pressure you will regret it....

Comment

Have you considered doing protein treatments? Or balancing your protein with Deep conditioning? SheaMoisture and Giovanni products contain protein. When you colored your hair, you changed the chemical make up of your hair and increased your need for protein as well as moisture.

I hope it gets better for you.
      sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
      BC 11/15/09
      NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
      My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

@jessicah: +1000 on the baggying. It has done wonders for my moisture levels! Just apply an oil (or mix of oils) to your hair, cover with a plastic cap, and go to bed. In the AM, your hair should look and feel more moisturised, have a nice sheen, etc. I do this pretty much every night, and it keeps my hair from drying out as quickly.

Also, grapeseed oil, while a nice oil, is very light to use as a sealant, especially during the winter. Maybe you could try sealing with something heavier like olive oil?

Hth

Comment

It's not that I want to but my regimens don't seem to be working anymore and my hair is breaking again.
          Putting oils on my hair I can do but it doesn't help me comb through my hair. Do I just not comb my hair? Attachment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jessicah02 View Post
            It's not that I want to but my regimens don't seem to be working anymore and my hair is breaking again.
            Putting oils on my hair I can do but it doesn't help me comb through my hair. Do I just not comb my hair? Attachment

No worries; we all get frustrated at times

For most naturals, detangling solely with an oil isn't enough. Oils are emollients, but they generally don't have enough slip to help a detangling tool glide through. You should be detangling on wet hair that's saturated in conditioner. Some suggestions for detangling conditioners:

TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
            Yes to Cucumbers Color Protection Conditioner
            Herbal Essences Honey, I'm Strong Conditioner
            Suave Professionals Almond + Shea Butter Moisturizing Conditioner
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok so let me get this straight...
              I shouldn't saturate my hair with water every morning anymore but just out olive oil and maybe argon oil on my hair nightly with a plastic bag on?
              So where does the conditioners come in? Do I put the conditioner on daily in the morning without water?

Comment

What worked for me when I first started my natural journey, was Taliah Wajjid Protective Mist Bodifer.you can use it daily I love that product. And her detangler called the great Detangler. I didn't wash or wet my hair daily but I did moisturize with the bodifer and oil. I also made my oil mixture that included tea tree and rosemary essential oils that will help with stimulating your scalp to help promote growth. And try not to do your hair everyday that can sometimes create breakage as well .. hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I created a thread called what to expect after the BC, it might be if some help to you I'll bump it up sine you can see it.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using CurlyNikki App
                  BC 11/15/09
                  My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

I dont comb my hair unless Im in the shower with conditioner.

If you bag overnight depending on how oily your is you can just add water and maybe gel or you can co-wash and style as usual....

You maybe should lay off shampoo for a while and just co-wash until you get your mositure under control.

Comment

Oh that ws you. I humbly bow down and pay homage. that thread helped me so much when I bc'ed...

Originally posted by NhappyJackie View Post
                      I created a thread called what to expect after the BC, it might be if some help to you I'll bump it up sine you can see it.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Trial and error dear we all go thru it but we stick w/ it. i still get frizz but im still willing to learn to find the perfect frizz free remedy
                        1 yr post relaxer ^-^
                        1 yr post bc ^-^
                        Last Relaxer: March 2nd, 2012!!
                        BC: 10/12/12

Hair Goal:
                        - SL: June of 2014
                        - APL: Dec of 2014
                        - BSL: December of 2015

http://tempobronze124.tumblr.com/

Motto: Leave the past where it is and move on to the future

Comment

Originally posted by Nyjae View Post
                          Oh that ws you. I humbly bow down and pay homage. that thread helped me so much when I bc'ed...
                          LOL!!! Don't be like that I just supplied everyone with the info that I was given after my BC in bits and pieces or by trial and error. Anything to help the next curly on her journey
                          BC 11/15/09
                          My FOTKI Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X