Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
TWA Challenge for 2013? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TWA Challenge for 2013?

    Hi, I'm a four month (almost 5) natural and I just did a big chop. I'd really like to be in a challenge starting in 2013 focused on shine boost, frizz decrease, and length growth and retention. I started out with a fade so by July 13 2013, assuming that I had perfect retention and all that jazz, I will have a year and six months of growth and about a total of 10inches of total growth. Would anyone like to be in this challenge with me? We could break the challenge up into seasons as well as adjust monthly to include different oils, hair techniques etc. I think the TWAs could use a little more love for the challenge scene. The APL and BSL challenges are a little long winded for us newbies! Lol.

    I'm thinking including things such as hot oil treatments for shine boost, castor oil and shea butter for growth and moister retention, regular hair treatments and when our hair is long enough protective styling. This could be a great way to make some natural friends (I only have one irl and other than stalking Curly Nikki none online) and have people to chat with. I don't have many people to talk to about hair because I don't want to come off as obsessive or annoying. This could be a lot of fun and nice way to get osme curly friends! Who wants to join? We can work out the details of the challenge once we have at least three or four people who want to join with me.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    i want to join but I am a little late in the twa club (is 4in too long to be a twa?). I'm mostly battling split ends and thinning edges. I'm trying to bring out the softness as well. Trial and error it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cocoadots View Post
      i want to join but I am a little late in the twa club (is 4in too long to be a twa?). I'm mostly battling split ends and thinning edges. I'm trying to bring out the softness as well. Trial and error it is
      I don't think so! Lets see, castor oil on edges is supposed to help a lot and sealing with shea butter over EVOOed ends should do the trick for your ends! Of course, the only remedy for a split end is to snip it off. Maybe you want to give yourself a mini chop before joining? That way you can work on avoiding split ends all together instead of just dealing with them. Happy to have join!

      Comment


      • #4
        I did cut them for the most part. The challenge is trying to keep them from resplitting. You see my hair is a sucker for those single strand knots, which break my stands and lead to splitting. Now I noticed a tremedous improvement on that once I started braiding my hair. But the issue with that is my edges were starting to thin because of the braids. Sigh its a never ending battle. I have shea butter but I'm terrified it will make my hair greasy. I absolutely hate greasy hair. But I am totally keeping up the castor oil though

        Comment


        • #5
          Im down with the cause!!! Lol my biggest motivation is moisture retention and this is my 6th BC since being natural for 1yr and 7 months...and I aint got the moisture thing down yet!

          Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlyNikki App
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll join, I'll be two months post bc and natural on Dec. 8th...I'm still struggling with the moisture retention also

            Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using CurlyNikki App
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cocoadots View Post
              I did cut them for the most part. The challenge is trying to keep them from resplitting. You see my hair is a sucker for those single strand knots, which break my stands and lead to splitting. Now I noticed a tremedous improvement on that once I started braiding my hair. But the issue with that is my edges were starting to thin because of the braids. Sigh its a never ending battle. I have shea butter but I'm terrified it will make my hair greasy. I absolutely hate greasy hair. But I am totally keeping up the castor oil though
              I've found using the palmers shea butter (the white solid kind) avoids that greasy feel and look. I get a nice thumbnail sized gloop of it and rapidly rub my hands together until it gets a little melty and spread all over my palms and fingers. Then drag through freshly cowashed hair or hair thats been heavily spritzed with my watery home made leave in. The white goes away as the hair dries, no greasy feeling or look, and hair is nicely sealed.
              The braidouts may have been too tight and strained your edges?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Anu View Post
                Im down with the cause!!! Lol my biggest motivation is moisture retention and this is my 6th BC since being natural for 1yr and 7 months...and I aint got the moisture thing down yet!

                Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlyNikki App
                I love your color!

                Six BC?s? Were you just in love with the short hair or what?
                I don't think I have a moisture issue but it never hurt to keep working on it. Are you sealing your ends?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DivaRica11 View Post
                  I'll join, I'll be two months post bc and natural on Dec. 8th...I'm still struggling with the moisture retention also

                  Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using CurlyNikki App
                  Thats great! Welcome!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Could someone share with me how they get their hair to be super soft? This is another issue I am battling and I have done a ton of research on it. Apparently there are multiple reasons as to why my hair is rough.
                    1. Protein overload/sensitivity. I eleminated absolutely ever product that either contained or mimicked protein. Slight improvement but not much.
                    2. Hard water. Im going to say that the area i live in has hard water, simply because the rainwater burns my eyes whenever i get caught in it. I can't do much about this. I live in a dorm room. But I have some rhassoul clay that will be tested out to fight this if the issue turns out to be hard water!
                    3. Hooded hair dryer. Supposedly safer for your hair than a blow dryer, but when used three times a week, maybe not so much. Im sorry but its winter time man. Cant walk outside with a wet head.
                    4. Scab hair. I have no idea if it is possible to have scab hair for 7 months. But if you have been relaxing your hair since 5 years old, then who knows what is possible.

                    I notice my hair is soft fresh out the shower, while damp, or once I take out my braids. But if I have freshly washed my hair and allowed it to air dry, it gets rough. It softens back up when I use kinky curly knot today and almond oil, but if it air dries with no manipulation then it straws back up again. Frustrating it is. What do you guys think could be the issue?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello everyone
                      My name is Brittini. I'd love to join this challenge, I've been a lurker for some time now, so this'll be perfect to finally start socializing. I'm not sure if I'm still in the twa stage but that awkward in between stage and I've been stuck here for about a year now following a setback with hair coloring. Now, I live in Alaska (air force spouse) and don't want this cold (it's been below zero) to wipe out my hair so I think this challenge would help me stay focused on my journey and grow it out. Looking forward to socializing with everyone! Attachment
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cocoadots View Post
                        Could someone share with me how they get their hair to be super soft? This is another issue I am battling and I have done a ton of research on it. Apparently there are multiple reasons as to why my hair is rough.
                        1. Protein overload/sensitivity. I eleminated absolutely ever product that either contained or mimicked protein. Slight improvement but not much.
                        2. Hard water. Im going to say that the area i live in has hard water, simply because the rainwater burns my eyes whenever i get caught in it. I can't do much about this. I live in a dorm room. But I have some rhassoul clay that will be tested out to fight this if the issue turns out to be hard water!
                        3. Hooded hair dryer. Supposedly safer for your hair than a blow dryer, but when used three times a week, maybe not so much. Im sorry but its winter time man. Cant walk outside with a wet head.
                        4. Scab hair. I have no idea if it is possible to have scab hair for 7 months. But if you have been relaxing your hair since 5 years old, then who knows what is possible.

                        I notice my hair is soft fresh out the shower, while damp, or once I take out my braids. But if I have freshly washed my hair and allowed it to air dry, it gets rough. It softens back up when I use kinky curly knot today and almond oil, but if it air dries with no manipulation then it straws back up again. Frustrating it is. What do you guys think could be the issue?
                        Could you post a photo of what you're talking about? I think coconut oil and something like Curl Rehab smoothie could help you. Again, I think straw/stringy hair or not soft hair is simply dry hair. What are you doing to moisturize and seal every day?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Welcome to the challenge! You have beautiful hair! It looks like this challenge is going to be moister heavy!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by -NaturalKnitter- View Post
                            Could you post a photo of what you're talking about? I think coconut oil and something like Curl Rehab smoothie could help you. Again, I think straw/stringy hair or not soft hair is simply dry hair. What are you doing to moisturize and seal every day?
                            I have found that coconut oil mimicks protein even though it does not contain any, it was actually making my hair alot worse. Jojoba oil too, it has a very similar concept as protein. I moisturize with knot today and seal with almond oil. My hair only feels soft once i take it out of its protective styles. If i don't manipulate my hair at all, like a wash and go for example, then i notice the crunchyness. On a side note I noticed a bit of an improvement once i cut my split ends as well. Also how do you post pictures?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by -NaturalKnitter- View Post
                              Could you post a photo of what you're talking about? I think coconut oil and something like Curl Rehab smoothie could help you. Again, I think straw/stringy hair or not soft hair is simply dry hair. What are you doing to moisturize and seal every day?
                              You are probably right about the dryness. If i can figure out how to retain moisture after a fresh shampoo then maybe my problem is solved.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X