Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Curlie_Quel Going Natural by Any Means Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Curlie_Quel Going Natural by Any Means

    Hey Everyone!! My name is Raquel and I'm currently about 9 weeks into my transition to natural hair. My last relaxer was December 15th of 2012. I made the decision to go natural for a number of reasons. My hair is shoulder length, but it's not as thick as I know it could be. After my last relaxer, I had a bit of breakage and my hair had been shedding for months. I was tired of seeing my hair on the floor and in the comb. Plus, I'm a mother to a 2 year old little girl and I knew I never wanted to put a relaxer on her hair. I had to stop and ask myself why I was still getting relaxers. I was curious about my own natural texture. Thats when I decided it was time for me to go natural. In the past 9 weeks I feel like I have learned sooo much thanks to new and veteran curlies who have shared tips and their stories. I'm thankful for sites such as this one to be able to share and feel a sense of community with one another and I love how everyone here is soo supportive of one another and compliment one another (which sometimes as women this is an area we can improve on). I'm commited to this journey and though it has it's ups and downs (like detangling....lol), I know it's one worth taking. Thanks for visiting.

  • #2
    So far the hardest part of my transition has been detangling. The herbal essence honey I'm strong conditioner, tangle teezer, and perm rod rollers have helped a lot though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good luck in your journey and welcome to transitioning!!!! I got my last perm in September but didn't start thinking about being natural until November and I know it's the best decision for me...how long do you plan to transition for?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yay we are about the same timeline! ! And almost the same reasons. I have a little boy but I caught myself saying that if I had a daughter I would never straighten her hair so I started askib g myself "y am I straightening mine?' Also I didnt have breakage or shedding but I did find myself using products to help me wear my hair curly and I was like 'why when I have naturally curly hair?' Smh. Also my hair is (was I just cut off some inches) about 4 inches past my shoulders but I just cut off 2 and im planning on taking another inch off.

        Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AshleyAlise View Post
          Good luck in your journey and welcome to transitioning!!!! I got my last perm in September but didn't start thinking about being natural until November and I know it's the best decision for me...how long do you plan to transition for?
          Thanks, I'm not sure how long I plan on transition. I know I want to be completely natural by the end of the year, so I was thinking about doing my big chop in August, but seeing these thin relax ends hang ongoing on to my think curly hair is driving me crazy, so I might big chop in the next 2 months. It's funny because I use to love how my relax hair looked, but it's so thin and flat compared to my nature texture. How about you how long are you going to transition??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TransitioningMixedBeauty View Post
            Yay we are about the same timeline! ! And almost the same reasons. I have a little boy but I caught myself saying that if I had a daughter I would never straighten her hair so I started askib g myself "y am I straightening mine?' Also I didnt have breakage or shedding but I did find myself using products to help me wear my hair curly and I was like 'why when I have naturally curly hair?' Smh. Also my hair is (was I just cut off some inches) about 4 inches past my shoulders but I just cut off 2 and im planning on taking another inch off.

            Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App
            I know what you mean. I always loved the way natural hair looked, but keep getting relaxers. I really had to stop and ask myself why. Something clicked and I new going natural was right for me. My hair is about shoulder length (ill post pics this week) and I thought it would be kinda hard to do the big chop, but I can really see the difference in my natural hair verses the relax hair and it makes me want to cut it of ( slowly walks away from the scissors)........lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Curlie_Quel View Post
              Thanks, I'm not sure how long I plan on transition. I know I want to be completely natural by the end of the year, so I was thinking about doing my big chop in August, but seeing these thin relax ends hang ongoing on to my think curly hair is driving me crazy, so I might big chop in the next 2 months. It's funny because I use to love how my relax hair looked, but it's so thin and flat compared to my nature texture. How about you how long are you going to transition??
              I'm the same way...I can't stand the way my relaxed ends look with my natural hair it gets on my nerves trying to blend..I wanna hold off at least a year but I wanna do a mini BC at my 6 month mark and hopefully I don't get carried away and just chop off everything

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm approaching month 7 post relaxer; last relaxer was 8/12. I would like to stretch it out until month 12 and cut, not chop. By that time I should have enough new growth where I would be satisfied.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Another transitioner! I'm also in the transitioning game...10 months in! I've cut the perm off from a ton of tiny sections and the hair along my nape...I'm too impatient. Lol. I love practicing and trying things on the natural hair pieces. Can't wait to get rid of the limp, lifeless, skinny, uninteresting, weak, and overall unpleasant relaxed ends! Lol
                  Last perm: April 2, 2012 Long-Term Transitioning
                  Wiry texture Coarse strands Normal porosity Normal elasticity High density

                  Rhassoul clay Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
                  Komaza Califia Moisturizing Cream Oils Hydrolyzed protein
                  Yes to Carrots Shampoo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I remember early I'm my transition about the 4 or 5 month going through The same issue of 2 textured hair. Thats when I did my first mini chop. Taking off about 3 inches. Still transitioning trying to decide if I'm going to cut off the rest of the relaxer ends this June

                    Sent from my SCH-R720 using CurlyNikki App

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know!! I know I have to have patience for my hair to grow, right now I'm lacking patience when it comes to the big chop....lol. The relax hair looks so pitiful next to my natural hair. But I'm trying to wait it out a few more months.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        here is a pic of my hair after washing and conditioning. Its a decent length, but it tangles easy and its shedding like crazy, so there is a big part of me that feels like it might be better to big chop sooner than later for the health of my hair.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Curlie Que, im planning on a year. I used to be sooo attached to my hair too but since I decided to transition, my straight ends mean nothing to me lol. 2 days ago I cut my hair again becuz its easier to manage with a shorter length. I cant believe I did it tho becuz I would have never even thought of it last month lol. Attachment

                          Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TransitioningMixedBeauty View Post
                            Curlie Que, im planning on a year. I used to be sooo attached to my hair too but since I decided to transition, my straight ends mean nothing to me lol. 2 days ago I cut my hair again becuz its easier to manage with a shorter length. I cant believe I did it tho becuz I would have never even thought of it last month lol. Attachment

                            Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App
                            I know exactly what you mean, never thought I would want to big chop so soon, but I just view my relax hair differently.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              yea my relaxed hair is dead to me lol. I have no feelings towards it anymore.

                              Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlyNikki App

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X