X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Society's Response to Locs!

For all my natural beauties; loc'd & those who aren't loc'd please share your experiences, views, stereotypes, comments people made, etc regarding your loc'd tresses or loc'd hair in general

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlyNikki App
    "Be you...be true to you, whether society approves or not!"

Surprisingly, I've heard nothing but positive things regarding locs. It's been six months for me and I've had positive responses ( or no reaction) to everyone ive come across. I did have a coworker make a comment because she was shocked I washed my hair. Lol a black lady at that. I was talking about swimming and she says " oh I don't know you wet your hair" lol
    Just starting to "embrace my curly" after years of pressing! And now rocking "locs"!!!!!
    My Blog http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by thetiffany View Post
      Surprisingly, I've heard nothing but positive things regarding locs. It's been six months for me and I've had positive responses ( or no reaction) to everyone ive come across. I did have a coworker make a comment because she was shocked I washed my hair. Lol a black lady at that. I was talking about swimming and she says " oh I don't know you wet your hair" lol
      Lol...thts hilarious.lol...wht I find amazing is how much more acceptable society is of locs...now more than ever before. Its seems as though those I cme in contact w/are curious & want info on locs...i love the curiosity though b/c I hve a chance to clear up misperceptions, etc.lol...looks like you may hve to school your co-wrker a little.lol

Comment

I havent any negative reactions except those that in my own family. And they were just ignorant about locs they have since been educated.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
        Check out my hair at www.flickr.com/chacalocs!
        Locked up & Free! Since 04.10.2008
        Naturally Nappy Since 07.28.07
        Check out my locs at Chacalocs

Comment

Originally posted by RaggamuffinLocs View Post
          I havent any negative reactions except those that in my own family. And they were just ignorant about locs they have since been educated.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
          Check out my hair at www.flickr.com/chacalocs!
          Hey miss lady, hvnt seen you on here in a minute, how hve you been?lol....well, I hvnt been on here for a little while too; wrk & classes...

Comment

I loovvee the look of locs. Some ppl see it as dirty but that's just ignorance. I want some myself but I'll wait some years like when I'm tired of styling my loose natural hair

@The_GoldenROSE
            www.lizzyjordan.tumblr.com
            Paige
            BC:5.20.2011

Comment

Where I'm from locs have a bad rep. I'm from the bay area, Richmond, Ca and I don't know if anyone knows of the reputation when it comes to dreads. Yes they are called dreads out here and associated with thugs. Majority of the so called "rough and tough" dudes have dreads and they dye the tips and wear them to have the whole statement of " yea I have dreads, I'm tough, I go dumb, I get hyphy.." Honestly they make them look bad cuz they don't take care of them and act a fool with it cuz that's what's hot. If u a dude in the bay with dreads u following the Hyphy movement started by the rapper mac dre ( may he rest on peace)

Also majority of the females who refer to themselves as "dykes" wear dreads/locs cuz that is what the dudes do.

So if u have locs out here ur either a male trying to follow a trend or a dyke. Crazy I know. A lot of closed minded people..

So...when I said I was growing locs, people was like

U growing dreads? Wha are locs?
              U going to take care of them right?
              U going to look like a dyke.
              Dreads look gross.
              They look dirty.
              U going to get pulled over by the cop more.

Crazy I know. But my husband loves them. My mom is amazed that they werent as bad as she thought. Others be like "you look cute with DREADS"...lol

Sent from my R800x using CurlyNikki App

Comment

ppl fear what they don't understand. my roommate told me i shouldn't loc because they're associated with the "homosexual community" (her word choice) and i'm like what the crap? if ppl think i'm gay it has to do with a lot more than the way i wear my hair. I mean really, i could get away with a steve harvey fade if my brows and earrings are on point, ok? point is, i don't care what ppl think and it's surely not gonna keep me from wearing my hair a certain way that's ridiculous. there's always gonna be somebody that doesn't like what you do regardless so you might as well do what you like and forget everybody else

Comment

I got the dirty comments too, but like you all said its just ignorance. People are more accepting. The issue I had was trying to explain that I'm not trying to make a political or social statement with my hair. Its just a hair style just like a relaxer or loose natural hair. My personality didn't change. I'm still the same person, but with different hair.

Comment

Hey guys! I'm new to Curly Nikki and I'm loving it! I've had locs for 4 years now and they are my babies.

I live in NYC and for the most part, I've experienced the good and the bad. I get a lot of compliments on my babies, but on the flip side, I've been called rasta, dread head, lesbian, a hipster, etc. I've been hit on because of my locs and I always get, "can you do my hair...lemme get your number though" smh. People I knew in college would just come up to me and touch my hair...they almost caught an elbow to the jaw lols. One chick said my hair looks fake and I have heard so many times that locs can't be washed, ugh.
                    Also, my mom call them braids smh lols. It's annoying, but it's nothing really. My biggest pretty peeve is when someone calls them dreads. Other than that, I love my loc babies!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Response to my hair (male with dreads) has been pretty receiving. as a black male in corporate america, I've managed to obtain 2 job promotions and 4 job offers having dreadlocks. I don't think society actually places a huge negative inclination on whether your hair is dreaded, faded, or styled within reason.

Comment

I'm also from the bay( v town representin) and dreads post-hyphy movement usely mean your like past users have said a a thug or b a dike (or basketball player since hella people think ballers swing like that)...obviously not everyone with dreads fit that criteria but majority of the people out here would say other wise

Comment

I've been loc'd now for three years, after wearing braids the previous eight years. I guess after wearing braids for so long, locs seemed to be no big deal. I don't live in a large metropolitan area anymore but I've felt nothing but love for my hair. People are starting to notice the length now.
                          Last relaxer: 2000
                          Started loc journey: October 2009

Comment

Working...
                          X