Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whipped Shea butter without the Shea butter...

I am really curious, has anyone ever made a whipped butter mixture without shea butter? If anyone has can you please tell me the results cause I'm thinking of just using cocoa butter for a whipped butter mixture....

Any and all advice or comments or opinions are are welcomed

ps I am just not that fond of shea butter and by 'I' i mean my hair
    I'm a lil bit too obsessed with my natural hair journey

Last relaxer = September 3, 2012
    BC = December 21, 2012
    Staples so far
    VOfreaking5
    Aloe Vera [fresh]
    Glycerin babeh

I can't use shea either. It messes with my latex allergies. The process is similar no matter what butter you use. I make mine with cocoa butter, mango butter, and others whenever I get the chance. My current winter favorite is mango, cocoa, castor, mixed with rice bran oil and meadowfoam oil.

30 % oil to 70 % hard butter will get you a stiff mixture that melts in the hand. Up the oil to get a looser, fluffier mixture.

Warm the oil and add small chunks of your butter to the oil, and mix. Don't melt the butter or you'll get hard crystals and it will still be usable but grainy.
    Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
    Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
    Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
    Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
    Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeaj View Post
      I can't use shea either. It messes with my latex allergies. The process is similar no matter what butter you use. I make mine with cocoa butter, mango butter, and others whenever I get the chance. My current winter favorite is mango, cocoa, castor, mixed with rice bran oil and meadowfoam oil.

30 % oil to 70 % hard butter will get you a stiff mixture that melts in the hand. Up the oil to get a looser, fluffier mixture.

Warm the oil and add small chunks of your butter to the oil, and mix. Don't melt the butter or you'll get hard crystals and it will still be usable but grainy.
      Wow, thanks for the information

BC = December 21, 2012
      Staples so far
      VOfreaking5
      Aloe Vera [fresh]
      Glycerin babeh

Comment

Originally posted by strawberijam_sasla View Post
        I am really curious, has anyone ever made a whipped butter mixture without shea butter? If anyone has can you please tell me the results cause I'm thinking of just using cocoa butter for a whipped butter mixture....
        Yes. I tried 2 different but simple mixes.
        1st: Cupuacu butter(40%) + Castor oil(60%)
        It whipped up to twice its size in no time. Cupuacu is stiffer than shea so the mix was a firmer than my regular

2nd: Cocoa Butter(50%) / Olive oil(50%)
        It was good to seal with and I didn't have any criticisms really.

Anyway I posted about it here
        http://www.curlytea.com/hair/whipped-butter-testing-may52012.html
        DIY recipes and consultation services for homemade curly, koily, and kinky hair products.
        12 years natural

>http://www.curlytea.com
        >twitter: @curlyteaconsult
        >facebook: /curlytea

Comment

Thanks, checking it out now

BC = December 21, 2012
          Staples so far
          VOfreaking5
          Aloe Vera [fresh]
          Glycerin babeh

Comment

Interest post. I didn't even realize that you could use cocoa butter on your hair. Any particular kind of cocoa butter that you use?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Nope... just went to store and picked it up... it is harder to work with than shea butter tho

BC = December 21, 2012
              Staples so far
              VOfreaking5
              Aloe Vera [fresh]
              Glycerin babeh

Comment

Any updates on your mix. I find that I get flaky scalp after using my shea butter mix directly on my scalp so I'm really interested in trying cocoa butter.

Comment

Cocoa butter is my primary butter. I can't use shea. It is a little harder to work with, you have to temper it in the warm not hot oil. You can also do a 40/60 mix instead of the 30/70 mix. That's 40 percent liquid oil to 60 percent solid butter. So if your final product is going 10 oz, use 4 oz of oil to 6 oz of solid butter.
                  Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
                  Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
                  Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
                  Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
                  Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Comment

Well I tried it out.. It is definitely harder to work with but that may be because I didn't warm the oils beforehand... I also got frustrated and 3/4 melt the cocoa butter then made it cool some and then whipped it. It didn't come out grainy tho and got it mixed lol..

Umm I started with approx 80- 20 which basically just made the cocoa butter softer not whipped soft just not hard hard. I think I will definitely follow Madeaj and curlytea instructions and do a 60-40 and warm the oils next time and see how that works

BC = December 21, 2012
                    Staples so far
                    VOfreaking5
                    Aloe Vera [fresh]
                    Glycerin babeh

Comment

Natural hair oils and butters on Sale

https://www.etsy.com/listing/115424742/on-sale-gift-box-set-with-carrier-oils

Comment

I've done mango butter mixed with EV olive oil. I like mango but, gives good shine to my skin and hair.
                        "Failure, in my book, is someone who lives in the safety of their laptop taking shots at those who actually achieved what they have been unable to do." ~ Eli Roth

Comment

I use mango and cocoa. I warm it just a bit and the mix with oil!!

Comment

Where do u buy mango butter from?

Sent from my LG-VM701 using CurlyNikki App
                            Last relaxer: May 18, 2011
                            ~MsPenny

Comment

Working...
                            X