X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade soap?

Anybody here make their own soap? Not melt and pour, but lye soap?
    Texture: Coily, zigzags, kinky and one little bit wavy.
    Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
    Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.
    Style preference: Low manipulation, tuck and roll, loose buns and twists.
    Ayurvedic: Henna, amla, zizzy, tulsi, brahmi, shikaikai, etc.

Bumpity bump anybody?
    Store bought Staples: Honey, I'm strong, HE TotallyTwisted Gel, FX Silk Drops silicone serum.
    Homemade Staples: Mixed butter, butter and oil pomades, handmade hair creams and lotions.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeaj View Post
      Bumpity bump anybody?
      Hi Madeaj! I'm just seeing this. I make my own soaps. I've been lazy lately though. What's up?
      "Failure, in my book, is someone who lives in the safety of their laptop taking shots at those who actually achieved what they have been unable to do." ~ Eli Roth

Comment

what does bump mean?
        1 yr post relaxer ^-^
        1 yr post bc ^-^
        Last Relaxer: March 2nd, 2012!!
        BC: 10/12/12

Hair Goal:
        - SL: June of 2014
        - APL: Dec of 2014
        - BSL: December of 2015

http://tempobronze124.tumblr.com/

Motto: Leave the past where it is and move on to the future

Comment

I also make cold processed soap....do you have questions?
          Check out my etsy store...Wholelistics
          http://www.wholelistics.etsy.com

"If only you just start to believe, surely then will you start to achieve".

Last relaxer: July 2011
          Transitioned for 15 months
          BC'ed: Oct/Nov 2012
          4a/3c, low porosity, dense, THICK

Comment

I think its when someone posts that word in a topic, simply to "bump" it to the top of the topic list. Because a topic will only be toward the top if its recently been posted in. I've seen this, usually to help a fellow curlie to find what she's looking for, without so much sifting through..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I'm considering making my own after the holidays. I've been reading up on it and it sounds a little complex with the lye but with so many people making it, I figured it shouldn't be too hard.

I do have a question where can you purchase lye? I'm thinking places like lowes or Home Depot but not sure.

Any suggestions or advice I welcome and thank you in advance!

Comment

I used to make soap all the time but I haven't in a couple years. Lye used to be easy to get until all the new regulations targeting meth makers. I last purchased some online.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlyNikki App

Comment

@CurlyQNisha and Resh, Yes I have a question of sorts. Next year around March or April I am going to venture into making soap. I wanted to know if you or anybody who makes soap has ever used oils infused with ayuvedic herbs like henna, zizy or amla?

I have to wait until then because I made a promise to myself to finish some other crafts and things before starting anything new.

I'm going to start with quite a few batches of unscented plain soap. I won't play with color or scent until I have a few batches under my belt.

@Punkin I will get my lye online from BrambleBerry. If you are going to do lye soap for the Christmas, you need to do it now. Cold Process lye soap takes at least 4 to 6, better yet 6 to 8 weeks to cure. If you haven't made it before, here is a series of excellent videos. Look under Cold Process Soap. Soap Queen TV - YouTube
                  Last edited by Madeaj; 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeaj View Post
                    @CurlyQNisha and Resh, Yes I have a question of sorts. Next year around March or April I am going to venture into making soap. I wanted to know if you or anybody who makes soap has ever used oils infused with ayuvedic herbs like henna, zizy or amla?

I have to wait until then because I made a promise to myself to finish some other crafts and things before starting anything new.

I'm going to start with quite a few batches of unscented plain soap. I won't play with color or scent until I have a few batches under my belt.

@Punkin I will get my lye online from BrambleBerry. If you are going to do lye soap for the Christmas, you need to do it now. Cold Process lye soap takes at least 4 to 6, better yet 6 to 8 weeks to cure. If you haven't made it before, here is a series of excellent videos. Look under Cold Process Soap. Soap Queen TV - YouTube
                    Brambleberry is great, Ann-Marie is the first company I ordered products from and almost 12 years later they are my go to. Sadly many of the soap making suppliers have gone out of business.

Yes, you can infuse your oils, many do. I've never tried Ayurvedic herbs but they would be fine IMO. You can also make your soap with herbal teas. I will be making a neem soap using neem tea and neem oil. The one thing you HAVE to remember is that some herbs may cause your soap to trace faster than usual so be prepared. I add honey, salt (hardness), or sugar (lather) to some of my soaps.

A couple of other good places for soap making - thesage.com, mountainroseherbs.com, millersoap.com, wholesalesuppliesplus.com. If you're on a budget you can usually find good deals on those sites. They have great info on making soap too. When you get started let us know. . You'll love it once you get the hang of it.
                    "Failure, in my book, is someone who lives in the safety of their laptop taking shots at those who actually achieved what they have been unable to do." ~ Eli Roth

Comment

Originally posted by punkin29 View Post
                      I'm considering making my own after the holidays. I've been reading up on it and it sounds a little complex with the lye but with so many people making it, I figured it shouldn't be too hard.

I do have a question where can you purchase lye? I'm thinking places like lowes or Home Depot but not sure.

Any suggestions or advice I welcome and thank you in advance!
                      You can purchase lye online from several places. Your best bet is to get it from places that are for soap makers. Like Madeaj said Brambleberry is a good source. It's not as complex as it seems, you just have to practice safety.

Comment

Thank you ladies. Before I decide to try I want to feel comfortable with what I'm doing. A few more videos and I'm going to check out that website listed above.

I won't make any attempts until after the new year. I heard about rebatching and I may attempt that first just to get a feel of making soap.

Comment

Yep!! What Resh said! The sky is the limit on what you can do with making soap. I must tell you that if you want to make your own recipe, Resh had mentioned Majestic Mountain Sage (thesage.com). They have a saponification calculator that allows you to add your own (butter, oils)ingredients and get the lye/water mixture amount you'll need. That has been an invaluable resource for me. Also try www.thesoapdish.com for lye. Have fun! It can be addicting!
                          Check out my etsy store...Wholelistics
                          http://www.wholelistics.etsy.com

"If only you just start to believe, surely then will you start to achieve".

Last relaxer: July 2011
                          Transitioned for 15 months
                          BC'ed: Oct/Nov 2012
                          4a/3c, low porosity, dense, THICK

Comment

Working...
                          X