Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When purchasing henna from a local Indian store....

Hi ya'll, I'm new around here and this Henna for Hair forum was just what I was looking for. Yippee!

I've done a good amount to research on henna previously, and today had the "spontaneous" I-really-want-THAT-color moment.

My hair is fine, BSL, 3B/3C curls. I am afraid of OVER loosening my curls (but I wouldn't mind more hang-time). I would like a rich dark dark brown/ warm black.

So I've made the decision, BUT, I was going to just go to a local Indian grocery store and purchase my henna there. Is there anything wrong with this? If the box says, "Black Henna", "Henna for Hair" does this mean I won't get the ultra-conditioning effects that henna is supposed to do for my hair?

I was just wondering if there are any users who have gotten wonderful henna results by purchasing their henna from a local store, and what brands they've used?
    handful of daisy

3.5 Years Natural....and growing!

Lover of Jesus

Hi there and welcome to the world of henna. A few things on purchasing henna: henna only produces reddish tones, stay away from "henna" that supposedly gives you different colors. There are possibly other ingredients mixed in - some not so good.

Depending on your natural hair color with henna alone you will get a reddish tint. To produce brown to black color you will need to add indigo.

When I first started using henna and indigo I bought my indigo from the Indian store. Big mistake IMO. it did not give me the dark brown color to match my hair, only the henna color showed. I have since only purchase my indigo from hennasooq.com.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlyNikki App
    Peace, Light & Love
    Hair Staples: Rhassoul clay (cleanse), Oil Rinsing, Marshmallow Moisture Balm, FSG or AVG

Comment

i would only use Body Art Quality henna, not henna for hair. the henna for hair usually has added chemicals. i personally order from Mehandi.com

Comment

Positive results for me from Nupur henna purchased in Indian store.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlyNikki App

Hair I Grow!!

Comment

Originally posted by transition_newbie View Post
          Positive results for me from Nupur henna purchased in Indian store.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlyNikki App
          I have purchased this same brand and I like it too.
          Last relaxer: January 2012
          BC: 8/14/12
          www.facebook.com/loveyourhair2012

Comment

Originally posted by daisyful View Post
            Hi ya'll, I'm new around here and this Henna for Hair forum was just what I was looking for. Yippee!

I've done a good amount to research on henna previously, and today had the "spontaneous" I-really-want-THAT-color moment.

My hair is fine, BSL, 3B/3C curls. I am afraid of OVER loosening my curls (but I wouldn't mind more hang-time). I would like a rich dark dark brown/ warm black.

So I've made the decision, BUT, I was going to just go to a local Indian grocery store and purchase my henna there. Is there anything wrong with this? If the box says, "Black Henna", "Henna for Hair" does this mean I won't get the ultra-conditioning effects that henna is supposed to do for my hair?

I was just wondering if there are any users who have gotten wonderful henna results by purchasing their henna from a local store, and what brands they've used?
            I've purchased jamila henna from my local Indian grocery with great results. I was ordering from mehendi.com orginally and then seen the same thing in Patel brothers and way cheaper.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlyNikki App
            God is Love!!!

Check out my blog: www.whattiasays.blogspot.com
            Instagram - sunshine1204

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! As I type I have LUSH Caca Noir sitting in my hair. Hitting the 2hour mark....2 more to go...

I decided not to go for the henna from the Indian store like many of you advised. I couldn't find reviews of the henna anywhere online so I was very wary of using it. At least it was inexpensive.

I decided to go for Lush Caca Noir because I wanted dark dark brown to black hair, but as a henna-n00b, I was overwhelmed with mixing the henna and indigo and amla and coffee.... it was all too much. So I'll start with this and then see about buying the powder from Henna Sooq or Mehandi later when I am more confident.
              handful of daisy

3.5 Years Natural....and growing!

Lover of Jesus

Comment

Working...
              X