Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your henna mixture!

What do you mix your henna with?

I plan on doing my first henna treatment in about a month and so far I'm thinking hibiscus power, Rasberry Zinger tea (I couldn't find this Red Zinger tea everyone was talking about so I settled with this one), Red Raj, lemon juice, and EVOO.

Also, I heard about people putting eggs in their mixes... Do you think this is a good idea? I thought about trying it.
    TYPE 4A/4B COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
    TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
    BC ON: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
    I <3 ACV, Shea Moisture, Tresemme Naturals, Camille Rose, and Eden's Body Works

If this is your first henna, it's probably best to keep your recipe simple with just henna, lemon juice and tea. A few TBSP of Hibiscus powder is ok. EVOO should make it easier to rinse your henna, but it might hinder dye uptake/deposit, so only use a few teaspoons if you do. And I've never heard of adding eggs; probably might have a hard time washing it out. My mix is:

100 grams Red Raj
    1.5 - 2 cups warm water
    2-3 TBSP lemon juice
    about a 1/4 cup cheap conditioner (added after dye release, but not always in every mix)

I add conditioner after dye release to thin the mix and make it easier to rinse. I've been saying I was going to add a few TBSPs honey instead of conditioner, but have yet to follow thru.
    2nd time around: Last relaxer approx Jan 2007
    Totally kinky-coily since 2008
    Henna head

Comment

Eggs is protein and henna is like a protein mix...i would think that would be a bit too much...also lemon juice may dry ur hair out.

Sent from my LS670 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I used the Ancient Sunrise Henna Red.
        I mixed mines with honey, SheaMoisture Restorative Conditioner, and Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner. I let it sit overnight 24 hours, then I applied to my entire head, I allowed it to sit for 11 hours under a plastic cap and bonnet. I rinsed it out with Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. I then applied Curls Ecstasy Deep conditioner mixed with sheamoisture restorative conditioner and slept over night. I am going to rinse and style my hair in a few.

Taking on this journey with love for my coils N kinks!

Comment

Henna and WATER ... the end!
          Naturally me

No makeup - No relaxer - Just as I am!
          http://www.naturalandprofessional.blogspot.com/

Comment

Henna, hibiscus powder, hibiscus tea, and a little amla powder. I sometimes add in honey and EVOO right before application also.
            ~BC May 7, 2011...truly loving my hair*~

Comment

150 grams of Rajasthani Henna
              4tbsp of Amla powder
              2tbsp of Aloe Vera powder
              1tbsp of Bhringraj powder
              2tbsp of Jojoba oil or Coconut oil
              2-3cups of water
              The majority of my ingredients are bought from Henna Sooq.

Sent from my MB855 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

My mix isn't all that exciting, but it works for me. I'm in the "keep it simple" crowd ...

150-200g - Jamila BAQ henna
                1.5-2c - green tea (that I steep myself)
                I mix to a cake batter-like consistency & allow to sit/dye-release overnight.
                I wash/clarify/detangle my hair, then add
                1-2 tsp - honey
                Apply the mix in sections, thoroughly saturating my hair.
                Allow the mix to do its thing overnight (8 or so hrs).
                Rinse until I get the initial amount of henna out, then go at it with a Suave or V05 condish until it's out.
                Deep condition, style & floss ...
                I've pretty much used this same mix/method for almost 2 yrs, I have no need to change it.

~NeeC1
                No one should work harder FOR you ... THAN you. Self-reliability - get you some!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladelle11 View Post
                  Eggs is protein and henna is like a protein mix...i would think that would be a bit too much...also lemon juice may dry ur hair out.

Sent from my LS670 using CurlyNikki App
                  So true. Someone told me that ans I was like yeah right. I went to mix some henna and didn't have lemon juice so I used tea instead. Best change. Rinsed out easier and my hair was much softer.

My mixture is half water half tea. After the die releases I mix in coconut oil and tea tree oil, then apply.

Comment

I typically use Indian hennas and my favorite is Rajasthani Henna. I started adding coconut milk & honey to my mixes -after dye release -and the results are so much better than before! My hair is soooo soft and smooth! Before dye release, I just use water - no teas or acids. My hair was breaking too much from the dryness.

I had a lot of issues with dryness when I used Jamila but I may try it again if it goes on sale anytime soon. I loved the color I got from Jamila but it made my hair brittle.
                    My blog - Mocha Coils & Curls

Comment

Someone mentioned something about dye release...how can you tell when that's occurred? This has been my second time using henna and the instructions said to mix, let sit for 30 min then use. Is that not right?

Comment

Originally posted by HopeThruFaith View Post
                        Someone mentioned something about dye release...how can you tell when that's occurred? This has been my second time using henna and the instructions said to mix, let sit for 30 min then use. Is that not right?
                        I read somewhere that it's when the henna turns brown.

Sent from my GT-S5690 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Dye release time depends on the type of henna you are using. Jamila henna takes about 12 hrs and rajasthani henna (the kind I use) takes 4 hrs. If the type you are using says 30mins then go by what it says.

Sometimes I speed up the dye release time by turning on my oven and sitting my henna mixture on top of the stove. I achieve dye release in about 2 hrs instead of 4 hrs.

You can test for dye release by putting a small amount of your henna mixture in the palm of your hand and let it sit for 30 sec to 1min. Rinse it off and if it leaves an deep orange or reddish stain then its ready for your hair....HTH

Sent from my MB855 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by mochachica View Post
                            I typically use Indian hennas and my favorite is Rajasthani Henna. I started adding coconut milk & honey to my mixes -after dye release -and the results are so much better than before! My hair is soooo soft and smooth! Before dye release, I just use water - no teas or acids. My hair was breaking too much from the dryness.

I had a lot of issues with dryness when I used Jamila but I may try it again if it goes on sale anytime soon. I loved the color I got from Jamila but it made my hair brittle.
                            what does your color look like ? i don't mind color change but i don't want it to be too bright. maybe i should be asking you how long you left it in your hair....
                            crazy. music junkie. educated. a little ratchet. God lover.
                            yeah it's a little weird mix but it's me

Comment

Originally posted by Miss TeeTee View Post
                              If this is your first henna, it's probably best to keep your recipe simple with just henna, lemon juice and tea. A few TBSP of Hibiscus powder is ok. EVOO should make it easier to rinse your henna, but it might hinder dye uptake/deposit, so only use a few teaspoons if you do. And I've never heard of adding eggs; probably might have a hard time washing it out. My mix is:

100 grams Red Raj
                              1.5 - 2 cups warm water
                              2-3 TBSP lemon juice
                              about a 1/4 cup cheap conditioner (added after dye release, but not always in every mix)

I add conditioner after dye release to thin the mix and make it easier to rinse. I've been saying I was going to add a few TBSPs honey instead of conditioner, but have yet to follow thru.
                              Thank you for these pointers! Didn't know about the evoo and hindering of dye release.

Comment

Working...
                              X